The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 02-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

I just tried a spinning class.

I slipped out after 20 minutes -and I only stayed that long to try and be polite. I was SO FUCKING BORED. Does any one "get" this crazy modern exercise craze? I also tried Zumba, and that was fine -not a whole shitload different from aerobics imo, couldn't see myself doing it week in week out...... but I made the full hour without stopping, so at least I know I'm fit. Just fat with it.....

The Whirlpool/Spa/whatever was awesome though.

Can't decide whether to join this fitness center or not.......
Old 02-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is there a difference between spinning, and riding a stationary bicycle?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Spinning bored me too Monster.

But then the whole gym experience did - except line dancing, which just ended up a pain because of the bitchy old ladies. Seriously, I was the only one under 40 and they did not like me crashing their social club. Not all of them of course, but enough.

I liked aerobics, but even the basic was so far advanced that when I started work I used that as an excuse to stop. It was hard and confusing and hard and exhausting and hard, but exhilarating. Wish I'd continued, but once I was off benefits I couldn't afford it (no longer had a free pass). I should have paid for individual sessions. But it was hard.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-07-2012 at 03:14 PM. Reason: individual - typo
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Is there a difference between spinning, and riding a stationary bicycle?
There's an instructor telling you how to ride it. it's supposed to simulate a real bike ride.

this one was 15 seconds position 1 (seated), 15 positing 2 (standing) 15 position 3 (forwards/uphill) 15 jumping (changing position back and forth) then start again with 30 seconds each. then 45, then 60....... then crank up the resistance and start all over again with the 15s. repeat ad nauseum.

DO NOT GET. DO NOT WANT.

Sundae, most exercise is not fun. If it was, there'd be a whole load more skinny people in the world. You just have to pick your poison. I keep hoping someone will come up with a miraculously fun way to improve my core strength and trim my belly, but I suspect I have more chance of winning the lottery....... And until them I'mm'a swim and maybe join this club and flit from class to class to burn off the calories
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Anything dancy is good for me. I was an avid step-aerobic girl but I gave it up because I'd be one giant hive (not hives exactly, the angioedema thing again) when I got done, writhing on the floor trying to itch (edit: I mean scratch) every part of my body.

Then my favorite instructor quit and the next one had the most boring uncomplicated routines known to man. I want a little challenge, when you get the moves down finally it is a thrill.

Still, I may try again. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by infinite monkey; 02-07-2012 at 03:28 PM.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #6
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
torn between making a dizzy joke and making a wool yarn joke.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm still exercising with Mum.
We both feel it and and we both sweat.
You are offered different levels and I take take the hardest one.
Except balancing. I try my hardest, but I do not want to fall over. Part of the DVD is a mixture of yoga and basic stretching techniques.
Mum winks at my inability as she has real trouble with the quadriceps stretch. She has to hold onto her trousers instead.

Had a couple of days break because I couldn't breathe properly, and I was coughing up a lung when I moved. I feel so much better doing it though.

I can't wait until the knee exercises hurt less.
I've have dodgy knees since I was a teenager, but extra weight (and the low chairs at school) are exacerbating this.

So I am still pushing myself. I'm under 17 stone again.
I'd like to think when I get under 15 (as I was when I was doing aerobics before) I might feel brave enough to start another class.

Last edited by Sundae; 02-07-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I've been taking zumba on Tue (LOVE it!!), spinning on Thu (ugh) and kickboxing on Sun (LOVE it!!). Think I'm going to drop spinning and do another zumba class on Thu, instead. I don't get much of a burn out of it, and I am really much too busy to waste an hour on diddlysquat. Zumba is mucho fun and kickboxing is really tough...so I'll stick with them. And the weight lifting on Mon, Wed and Fridays...
Old 02-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I'm tired.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
I'm tired.
YOU'RE tired?

Old 02-07-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I honestly thought you'd gone to some craft type class. I have never heard of 'spinning' as a form of exermacise.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #12
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

monster, I've heard of it but didn't know the concept, so thanks.

Tell me if you feel it tomorrow. Sometimes the popularity of these kinds of classes is that you don't realize you're using muscles barely used, and the next day you feel it.

But you're a swimmer and stuff anyway, so it might be below your level.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'd wondered about that. Thanks for helping me find a reason to avoid it. Not that i need a reason to avoid paying to sweat. Walking is still free.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
monster

The spinning I will feel saddle sore, i'm sure, but I bike (or used to before it was stolen) so i don't imagine I'll feel much there. the Zumba, though -time will tell....... most probably i'll feel tender from the Spa -those jets were very powerful!

Figure skating tomorow, I hope my knees and ankles aren't too stiff.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #15
monster

So here's the thing, almost everyone I know raves about their spin classes like it's the new breathing. People who didn't used to exercise have got up off their couches and been drawn to the light -the one outside the studio because it's done in a darkened room. It's not like you can chat during the class either.