The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 08-26-2001, 10:52 AM   #46
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

No, the project goes on but it looks like their server is a little flaky today or something. I could get their front page but couldn't connect to any other pages. Try again later?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 03:51 PM   #47
dave

we still doing this? my dual g4/800 sits idle most of the day, as does my tbird 750, as will my dual athlon box when i get it, as does my laptop, as does my retro gaming box, as does jenni's imac, as does my dad's linux box...

i'll throw the computers on there if you want... need mac os/osx clients though... do they have 'em?

lemme know if we still doing this
Old 10-04-2001, 04:16 PM   #48
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

All my boxen are still going! The reason the number we're at doesn't move much any more is that we've sorta found our place in the rankings, caught up with all those teams that were producing less than us, I think.

Problem is, there is no Mac client. One of the FAQs said that they might come out with one, but they haven't yet. Right now it's only Win-DOS or Linux.

Maybe OS X? I dunno. Can OS X run any Linux binaries?
Old 10-04-2001, 04:24 PM   #49
smed
Sir Smed to you.

OSX and Linux binaries - NOT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

Maybe OS X? I dunno. Can OS X run any Linux binaries?

From what I've read....OSX uses the MACH kernel inherited from the NEXT project, also inherited by Apple.
The MACH kernel is supposedly decendent of FreeBSD....
I'd bet the farm that it won't run Linux binaries.....however is it not possible to get a hold of the source for the client? I think that you can install a compiler on OSX and therefore, library dependencies permitting, you should be able to compile it.

Just a thought.
I will try and get my box up and running in the team ASAP. I've got some spare cycles I can burn.

smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 04:50 PM   #50
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

In any case, overdue props to Alph for bringing the idea in the first place. All hail Steve!
Old 10-04-2001, 06:23 PM   #51
dave

that's a damn shame. my dual 800mhz g4 is *fast*... a nice multithreaded client for os x would be pretty awesome... and since this system sits idle for probably 20 hours/day....

the dual athlon will be running windows 2000 though (for gaming) so that one should be adequately supported... and should help out...

what's the current rank?
Old 10-04-2001, 08:10 PM   #52
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I had to quit running it. It was giving my P1 fits. Had to uninstall it, but I might give it another try.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2001, 11:17 PM   #53
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I check the rank about every day or so, because (sobbing uncontrollably) I HAVE NO LIFE! No, but seriously, we are actually at 101. We ran really fast up the ranking, but we're stuck now, for about the last two weeks we waver between 101 and 104.
Old 10-05-2001, 07:44 AM   #54
lisa
Etherial

Re: OSX and Linux binaries - NOT!

Quote:
Originally posted by smed
however is it not possible to get a hold of the source for the client?
No, they won't give it out. From what I recall, they are concerned that some people will get the source code and make their systems quickly return random invalid results, just so they can climb the ranks quickly. And they don't want to have to create code to sort through the mess.

I suppose their assumption is that not many people will go through the trouble of reverse-engineering to achieve this, but many might modifiy the source code if they made it that easy.

Ah, well.
lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 10:56 AM   #55
smed
Sir Smed to you.

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad

No, the project goes on but it looks like their server is a little flaky today or something. I could get their front page but couldn't connect to any other pages. Try again later?

Toad:

I downloaded the Linux client, however my system is telling me that I need GLIBC2.2

are there older versions of the client available that might run....I freaking HATE having to deal with Library dependencies....it's by far my biggest Linux challenge.

Any advice on this one?

I'm running Slackware 7.1

I guess I could hit FM and D/L the latest GLIBC library, but I'm affraid if might replace libraries that my other software is using....and I would hate ot have to recompile everything......

Is there source available for this client?

Please adivse.

smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 01:28 PM   #56
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I had a look through the message area they have for it, and nobody much discussed that. Someone did hint that it was only the .99 version that doesn't work with the newer glibc, but they want you to download from them and they're only offering the .99 version.
Old 10-07-2001, 05:33 AM   #57
jaguar
whig

I *may* still have the older linux one, ill have a rummage around in my old downloads.

Tony, from waht i coudl work out since your webdesign firm went belly-up you make your money off co-loc right? How much work would that involve, i'm picturing a pretty easy lifestyle. COrrect me before a order a T3 and Cisco3500 =)
Old 10-07-2001, 11:32 AM   #58
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Have you seen the posts I've written asking people if they have any work? Nuff said.

The work related to the co-lo is quite enjoyable, but the co-los themselves don't pay for even the leased line and bandwidth. The management of those co-lo systems does. The continuing web work then makes me about half a living, but half is not enough and if I don't find work by the end of the year I'll be divorced and looking for a new suitable space to locate all these systems. Nuff said again.
Old 10-09-2001, 11:14 PM   #59
jaguar
whig

hm...
damn
And good luck...
Old 10-11-2001, 03:18 PM   #60
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We've broken into double digts

As of this morning, we've moved up to #99 on the rankings. It took a long time - we got to 103 and then stopped, and it took forever to move up from there, but we continue to inch up.