Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Proud Texas History

Quote:
1971:
Representative Tim Moore sponsored a resolution in the Texas House of Representatives in Austin, Texas calling on the House to commend Albert de Salvo for his unselfish service to "his country, his state and his community." The resolution stated that "this compassionate gentleman's dedication and devotion to his work has enabled the weak and the lonely throughout the nation to achieve and maintain a new degree of concern for their future. He has been officially recognized by the state of Massachusetts for his noted activities and unconventional techniques involving population control and applied psychology." The resolution was passed unanimously. Representative Moore then revealed that he had only tabled the motion to show how the legislature passes bills and resolutions often without reading them or understanding what they say. Albert de Salvo was the Boston Strangler.
My government professor mentioned this today, I found it interesting. It shows how badly the Texas constitution needs to be mostly rewritten. Although this happened in 1971 not much has changed with how our state legislator opperates. They are Bienniel and only meet for 140days. As many as 6000 resolutions can be presented during this time, and about 1500 get passed. Many commending a person or group. The legislators don't pay much attention to these resolutions and and vote just to get them done and over with, they need more time to work on the important issues of state, such as school funding.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty
...the important issues of state, such as school funding.
School funding, what's that? Don't you mean re-districting?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Personally I'm all for Kinky Friedman's school funding plan: "Slots for Tots". What part of Texas are you in, morethanpretty?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:17 AM   #4
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Personally I'm all for Kinky Friedman's school funding plan: "Slots for Tots". What part of Texas are you in, morethanpretty?
Thats an interesting idea, and not a bad one. I live north of Dallas, close to Mckinney. Which is getting too big for my taste but CCCCD is one of the best community colleges in the country, and they have a campus there.

Quote:
Stopping the practice of "teaching to the test." The TAKS shouldn't be the sole focus of education in Texas.
I am in love.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #5
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
School funding, what's that? Don't you mean re-districting?
Although the re-districting attempt by the Republican ran legislator and governor a few years ago was such a big news story it really wasn't an original political scheme. The Democrats held the majority in Texas government since after the Reconstuction, until the last part on the 20th century. I don't doubt that they implemented their own sneaky underhanded plans to keep that majority for so long. they were just better able to keep it from making such an uproar. Neither parties have really done much to improve Texas, the government has been limping along almost since its formation, partially due to the unjustifiable shackles that the TX consitution place on it. The constitution we operate under today has been ammended hundereds of times since we adopted it in 1876, this is proof of how incompetent it is.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 AM   #6
Tonchi
Victim of gravity

You can thank Molly Ivans for bringing all the splendor of the Texas Legislature to the rest of us