The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 08-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
My local JC Penny's merchandise is too close together and I asked a manager to get me a 2x cotton Guayabera for me, it was a few racks in. He was doing nothing.
I was told "We don't have time to do your shopping for you. You need to go somewhere else."
Unless those racks are bolted down, with a full battery you could probably do your own shopping. Let the asshole manager clean up.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

That or you could have run his dumbass over - with your chair and blamed it on a mechanical malfunction. I can't believe that these kinds of people still exist. They seem not to be smart enough top procreate.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #18
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Yes, Radar would feel it is OK to have a Whites-Only business.

Playing devil's advocate, why would you force someone to associate with people they don't want to associate with?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
rkzenrage

Good point.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you don't want to patronize the business, then it doesn't matter whether they have a ramp or not.

I wouldn't give a shit if a gym posted a "males only" sign, or a hip-hop bar a "blacks only" sign. It's up to the business owner to decide how s/he wants to run the business, and who will be served.

I take it you weren't listening when I've said things like The Citadel should never have caved in and admitted females, or that I stopped watching the Mummers the year they went co-ed?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #21
rkzenrage

Wow, Wolf supports Jim Crow laws.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:15 PM   #22
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I really don't know. And it goes right to the heart of political philosophy:

Since prehistoric times, prosperity is to those groups who come up with the right set of rules and are able to enforce them.

But in recent times, prosperity is to those whose society develops the right mind-set, regardless of the official rules.

Part of that mind-set is protecting those who can't protect themselves, whilst somehow not protecting those who are only playing victim.

I don't know.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
Flint
Snowflake

You should start a cult.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #24
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Wow, Wolf supports Jim Crow laws.
Wolf is endorsing freedom of association. Jim Crow laws separated people using the force of law. There are a lot of competing values in this issue. You mentioned historic building exemptions. For large operations it is just the cost of doing business but some Mom and Pop outfits can't afford to make the needed up grades. It is an attack on private property rights. I figure its been in place long enough that most of the economic damage has already been done so I guess I'd let this infringement slide... maybe?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #25
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint View Post
You should start a cult.

I have.
You're soaking in it.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #26
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Quote:
UT
I think this is more appropriate.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM   #27
rkzenrage

Griff, I have stated I am in full support of private clubs who wish to include/exclude anyone they wish.
But, if a business cannot exclude by race or sex how is it they can say they do not wish to have me in their store and it be ok with anyone?
This store completely renovated from being a clothing store to a restaurant.
I know how much it costs to knock a step down and pour some concrete into a ramp... I used to do it. It is not that expensive.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #28
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

For some reason, this makes me think of the Historic Delta Queen thread.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #29
lookout123
changed his status to single

I think what you are missing is that if your business was important enough to them they would go through the trouble of making it accessible to you.

They aren't saying you should starve. They aren't saying you can't have a hot dog. They aren't saying you can't have one of their hot dogs. They are saying that if you want that hot dog that damn bad, then you are going to have to figure it out on your own.

Personally I don't have a problem with that. It is poor business and the owner sounds like a jackass who deserves to see his business fold, but again - his business, his priorities.

The question really is do you feel the need to eat there badly enough that you are going to battle over it, or are you just pissed off in general and want to raise a stink?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #30
rkzenrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I think what you are missing is that if your business was important enough to them they would go through the trouble of making it accessible to you.

They aren't saying you should starve. They aren't saying you can't have a hot dog. They aren't saying you can't have one of their hot dogs. They are saying that if you want that hot dog that damn bad, then you are going to have to figure it out on your own.

Personally I don't have a problem with that. It is poor business and the owner sounds like a jackass who deserves to see his business fold, but again - his business, his priorities.

The question really is do you feel the need to eat there badly enough that you are going to battle over it, or are you just pissed off in general and want to raise a stink?
Quote:
If you don't want to patronize the business, then it doesn't matter whether they have a ramp or not.
That is the most fucked-up way at looking at civil rights I can think of.
"I really don't want to sit at the front of the bus anyway, they don't want me there, so I don't want to be there."
LOL!

Again, if they had a "whites only" sign out front, would all of you be reacting the same way?