The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Ten Bullets

This deserves its own thread. Maybe in the wrong section, I don't know.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #2
glatt

Yeah. My shop would be a lot less messy if I followed those bullets.

One thing I disagree with its the fines, even if the proceeds do go to a party fund. Specifically it's the doubling of the fines with each offence.

This workplace seems too authoritarian. Even if there is a good reason for it all.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
glatt

But thinking on this a little further, there are A LOT of really good points in those bullets that a conscientious person should seriously consider implementing into the way they do things. They are a recipe for success.

I actually saw this video yesterday, and before I saw this post today I was thinking about it again.

I was performing a task at work, and it was a multi-step task, just like one of those later bullet points. I had left two of the steps for today. It was kind of nagging at me overnight. I hadn't written it down on a to-do list, so it was just in my brain. It was trivial. I had done the lion's share of the work yesterday by completing some forms and getting them authorized. But I was procrastinating on scanning a copy of the forms for my records and submitting the forms for processing. So I was thinking about how I shouldn't have procrastinated and just done it all.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

You should address your procrastination problem some day
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I can't see what Feet is talking about.

This what I see:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  54.1 KB

I don't know if the problem is here, or, there. Or neither.

Really old version of FF, btw, 34.0.5.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Just this thread or the whole site?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

This what I see:

Old 01-11-2017, 07:01 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Yeah. My shop would be a lot less messy if I followed those bullets.

One thing I disagree with its the fines, even if the proceeds do go to a party fund. Specifically it's the doubling of the fines with each offence.

This workplace seems too authoritarian. Even if there is a good reason for it all.
The James Brown invocation was key. There is an anecdote about some of his band complaining about the costumes they had to wear, they thought they looked uncool. One of the band asked why they had to wear the outfits and couldn't they wear something else that they chose. Brown told them, You don't have to wear these outfits, you can wear whatever you want, just not in my band.

So, yeah, a bit authoritarian, but I bet it is one of the best places to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
But thinking on this a little further, there are A LOT of really good points in those bullets that a conscientious person should seriously consider implementing into the way they do things. They are a recipe for success.

I actually saw this video yesterday, and before I saw this post today I was thinking about it again.

I was performing a task at work, and it was a multi-step task, just like one of those later bullet points. I had left two of the steps for today. It was kind of nagging at me overnight. I hadn't written it down on a to-do list, so it was just in my brain. It was trivial. I had done the lion's share of the work yesterday by completing some forms and getting them authorized. But I was procrastinating on scanning a copy of the forms for my records and submitting the forms for processing. So I was thinking about how I shouldn't have procrastinated and just done it all.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #9
monster
I hear them call the tide

Bullet 0.1

Time is sacred. Get to the point a whole lot faster than this video.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #10
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's good to be the king.

The shop looks awesome. The crew probably is great to work with. I think I'd fit in well.

But.

Where do new ideas come from? No creativity? Maybe I won't fit in. Whose idea was it to have clear shrink tube in the first place? We have black and red and more black... dang. None of these are good... ?

What happens when unforeseen circumstances make the instructions inapplicable? "I don't understand" might not cut it.

I could go on with examples of my objections to this particular bullet, but I won't.

Where is the motivation for everybody not the chooser of tasks? I got these rules, I have these extended tasks, I'm done, I guess I'll just wait around. I've been micromanaged before, it sucks. I'd rather have responsibility. And I recognize and accept that that comes with the responsibility for mistakes.

Regarding the small monetary penalties, I also agree that the fines for transgressions are arbitrary. Why double? Because multiplying by two is kinda easy? pffft. Somebody transgresses ten times for the same thing... there's a bigger problem there. The rule or the person needs to be reevaluated. What happens when you turn it up to eleven???

Guy's got some *serious* control issues. Two separate bullets for acknowledgements *and* receipts? "Never say what you can email."? "The reverse is true when weaseling." I guess there is room for creativity.

Lists are good, I love lists. But they should not be immortal, "Your list is your future and your past"? My near future and my recent past, maybe. "You will justify your actions through a carefully updated list." Well, if the action/item/result isn't justification enough, what the hell is the use of the list?

But who's quibbling?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #11
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post

This what I see:

Attachment 59102

I get this same display at home on my computer in chrome.

on my phone, through the opera browser, I can see footfootfoot's post #1 including the posted video.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #12
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I see the Vimeo vid in foots other post.

Thank you.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
But who's quibbling?
You are, and I would be too. When they micromanage, just go along to get along. No extra effort, don't bother with ideas or suggestions. Fuck that.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #14
Griff
still says videotape

I had to stop watching. I've been micromanaged. It is unbearable.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 AM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post

Where do new ideas come from? No creativity? You should rewatch that section. At first I felt the same way as you, but then he goes on to explain that it refers to not departing from established procedures on a whim, in other words, don't fix what ain't broke. There is a time and place for creativity, but not when it comes to working to spec.
Maybe I won't fit in. I think that is the crux of the the whole ten bullets, see James Brown post ^

Whose idea was it to have clear shrink tube in the first place? We have black and red and more black... dang. None of these are good... ? OK you are really reaching here. Perhaps they are color coded by size or gauge or temp. Who knows? The point is they have a system, it's been thought out and worked out and allows them to achieve the results they are after.

What happens when unforeseen circumstances make the instructions inapplicable? "I don't understand" might not cut it.[b]Really? Were you pouting when you wrote that? You're smarter than that, V. /B]

I could go on with examples of my objections to this particular bullet, but I won't.

Where is the motivation for everybody not the chooser of tasks? VISA
Master Card, Rent, Student loans... Like the old movie joke, Actor: :But what's my motivation?" Director: "Because I said ACTION!"
I got these rules, I have these extended tasks, I'm done, I guess I'll just wait around. I've been micromanaged before, it sucks. I'd rather have responsibility. And I recognize and accept that that comes with the responsibility for mistakes.

All of the rules are about accepting responsibility and being accountable.I'm not sure where you got the idea that you are supposed to wait around with your hands in your pockets.

Regarding the small monetary penalties, I also agree that the fines for transgressions are arbitrary. Why double? Because multiplying by two is kinda easy? pffft. Somebody transgresses ten times for the same thing... there's a bigger problem there. The rule or the person needs to be reevaluated. What happens when you turn it up to eleven???

It seems pretty obvious to me that the doubling rule, while Draconian, serves to weed out the forgetful/inattentive/not suitable for this line of work. There is a vast gulf between the temperament of machinists and framers. neither is suited for the other's work.

Guy's got some *serious* control issues. Two separate bullets for acknowledgements *and* receipts? That confused me as well, but communication seems key in that business* otherwise, oops! Why is the orbiter heading away from Mars? "Never say what you can email."? "The reverse is true when weaseling." I guess there is room for creativity. Yep!

Lists are good, I love lists. But they should not be immortal, "Your list is your future and your past"? My near future and my recent past, maybe. "You will justify your actions through a carefully updated list." Well, if the action/item/result isn't justification enough, what the hell is the use of the list? I heard that more ominously as "Your future with this company...

But who's quibbling?
While I don't subscribe to everything in the video I find it a great foundation for achieving a certain type of order and functionality that can be applied to all aspects of life. Personally, I could benefit by observing a number of those precepts in mine.

I like a good debate, it explores other perspectives.

All that being said, I just bothered to go to his website and now I feel a bit foolish, because I suspect the whole video was somewhat tongue in cheek. Hard to say, but one of his sculptures is entitled "Barbie Slave Ship" and I wish the photos were bigger.

* I guess considering the source, in this case, adds insight and perspective. I must say, for a sculptor, he is fucking tidy and more than a bit in controoooolllllll which made more sense when I thought he was making shit for NASA.