The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #16
Griff
stick them with the pointy end
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 21,558
I'm more concerned with Goldman Sachs' continued ownership of economic policy. I don't think that's what Trump's voters were looking for.
__________________
If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you.
- Louis D. Brandeis
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:38 AM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 57,531
Quote:
Donald Trump’s transition team wants the Energy Department to provide the names of any employees who have worked on President Barack Obama’s climate initiatives — a request that has current and former staffers fearing an oncoming “witch hunt.”

The president-elect’s team sought the information as part of a 74-point questionnaire that also asked for details about how DOE’s statistical arm, the Energy Information Administration, does the math on issues such as the cost-effectiveness of wind and solar power versus fossil fuels. POLITICO obtained the document Friday, after Trump’s advisers sent it to the department earlier in the week.
link
__________________
Everything is interesting... look closer.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
tw
Read? I only know how to write.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 10,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I don't think that's what Trump's voters were looking for.
Of course they were. Because they were not thinking. They voted for their emotions. What is evil yesterday is good today - when one is emotional. When one is an adult still thinking like a child, then what was known yesterday means little to that child today.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:31 AM   #19
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I'm more concerned with Goldman Sachs' continued ownership of economic policy. I don't think that's what Trump's voters were looking for.
Yeah. It wasn't a case of low class, it was a case of ignorance.

The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is an initative that would fix the problem without a constitutional ammendament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...rstate_Compact
__________________
"I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex. " - xoxoxoBruce
Spexxvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:02 PM   #20
Pamela
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 593
Of course, why obey the Constitution when you can just do an end run around it whenever you don't get what you want?

Peter Skurkiss has a good take on this.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:00 AM   #21
glatt
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 25,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
Of course, why obey the Constitution when you can just do an end run around it whenever you don't get what you want?
This is actually kind of funny. Without context, this quote can be used to describe any number of things I've seen in recent years done by your team.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #22
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 10,302
Pam, how can you support a party that has declared war on the LGBTQ community (among other groups)?
__________________
"I'm certainly free, nay compelled, to spread the gospel of Spex. " - xoxoxoBruce
Spexxvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #23
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,233
Ha! Ask Caitlyn Jenner.
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #24
footfootfoot
I may have overstated my temerity's degree of mitigation.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 17,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Yeh, remember how crazy republicans got when Obama had three Generals in his first cabinet?
me neither.
Two minutes in the penalty box for Tu Quoque Fallacy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque
Quote:
Tu quoque (/tjuːˈkwoʊkwiː/;[1] Latin for, "you also") or the appeal to hypocrisy is an informal logical fallacy that intends to discredit the validity of the opponent's logical argument by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with its conclusion(s).

Tu quoque "argument" follows the pattern:

Person A makes claim X.
Person B asserts that A's actions or past claims are inconsistent with the truth of claim X.
Therefore X is false.[2]
An example would be

Peter: "Based on the arguments I have presented, it is evident that it is morally wrong to use animals for food or clothing."
Bill: "But you are wearing a leather jacket and you have a roast beef sandwich in your hand! How can you say that using animals for food and clothing is wrong?"[2]
It is a fallacy because the moral character or past actions of the opponent are generally irrelevant to the logic of the argument.[3] It is often used as a red herring tactic and is a special case of the ad hominem fallacy, which is a category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of facts about the person presenting or supporting the claim or argument.[4]
__________________
the internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously? - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #25
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 23,233
Drops gloves/ Guess you don't remember that either./circles foot3
__________________
"like strapping a pillow on a bull in a china shop" Bullitt
classicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #26
footfootfoot
I may have overstated my temerity's degree of mitigation.
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: in the house and on the street
Posts: 17,950
I honestly wasn't paying attention; I didn't know there was going to be a test.

__________________
the internet is a hateful stew of vomit you can never take completely seriously? - Her Fobs
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #27
Pamela
Deplorable
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Pam, how can you support a party that has declared war on the LGBTQ community (among other groups)?
I'd like to see that declaration in the record. Who voted for it? When was the vote?

There is no war on the LGBT community. They are simply not getting everything they demand, which is way more than they need.

Yes, I am part of that group, but I have been deemed a heretic for refusing to recognize more than two genders, refusing to use silly pronouns which do not exist in grammar (zie etc) and daring to use common sense when thinking for myself.

When I cast my vote for President, I voted for the person I thought was best to lead the entire country in many topics, not just one or two. I feel that it would have been irresponsible to vote based on "feelings" or against anyone (impossible to vote against a person, only a ballot question).

I have very few LGBT friends these days.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #28
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 17,976
Quote:
Peter: "Based on the arguments I have presented, it is evident that it is morally wrong to use animals for food or clothing."
Bill: "But you are wearing a leather jacket and you have a roast beef sandwich in your hand! How can you say that using animals for food and clothing is wrong?"[2]
It is a fallacy because the moral character or past actions of the opponent are generally irrelevant to the logic of the argument.[3] It is often used as a red herring tactic and is a special case of the ad hominem fallacy, which is a category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of facts about the person presenting or supporting the claim or argument.
Sort of, unless you're not arguing the basic logic of the argument, but rather the double standard itself. It's not Peter saying that animal products are morally wrong, it's Peter saying, "I won't allow Bill to use animal products" but continuing to use them himself. In that case it doesn't matter if animal products are morally acceptable or not, the primary problem is the injustice.
__________________
My book
My spirit animal
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:17 PM   #29
elSicomoro
Dirty bro getting low with his ho
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO USA
Posts: 12,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I think he'd look better in a military soft top.
We actually own a VW Thing (my wife and her two siblings) and are in the process of selling it. It was her mom's.
__________________
Have you found Jesus? I have...he does a great job on my lawn.

FB (politics-free) | Politics and current events page | Twitter
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #30
elSicomoro
Dirty bro getting low with his ho
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Kansas City, MO USA
Posts: 12,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamela View Post
I have very few LGBT friends these days.
If I'm not mistaken, this makes Pamela at least the 3rd transgender woman on Cellar that is also conservative. Just an interesting observation...nothing more.
__________________
Have you found Jesus? I have...he does a great job on my lawn.

FB (politics-free) | Politics and current events page | Twitter
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.