The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Cleaning House

Every fortnight or so (and by 'fortnight' I mean two years) I go around and clean things that I don't usually think of cleaning every week, like, oh, baseboards and window ledges, blinds, walls, the basement...etc. I did this today and I wonder: how have I managed to elude anthrax, SARS and the plague when I have such a dirty house?

I like to think I keep a relatively clean house, but, holy-joe! Owning three cats was definitely a mistake and the kids cannot be helped. BUT! How does all this crud get here? I always wonder--am I a slob? 'Coz my house never looks like The O.C. OR like I have ever, ever, ever had a maid. Because I haven't. Had a maid. Ever. This seems like a miscarriage of justice to me. I really could use a good maid.

So--really, how clean is your house? Is your grout clean? Are your outside gutters clean? Is your laundry room clean? Are the tops of your washer and dryer lint-free? If they are--I really hate you.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You clean every week?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

I thought this was another colonoscopy thread ... sorry.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Prior to moving, I had dust HIPPOs. We'll see how long I can keep up with this place. But, it's just me...so no yellow carpet in the bathroom. No cat hair pillows to be made. Shouldn't be too bad.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
You clean every week?
By 'every week' I mean every four months. Or, five.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 11-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I have a little reminder program that I set up, that tells me when to clean what. Scrub each bathroom every 3 months, clean the ceiling fans every 6 months, dust once a month, etc... but I have them all staggered so that I end up with about one chore or so a week. I don't ever have to think about it, the computer just tells me what to do, and I never have to spend more than maybe 15 minutes at a time on cleaning.

Does that make me a freak? I have a system for cooking dinner too...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
I have a little reminder program that I set up, that tells me when to clean what. Scrub each bathroom every 3 months, clean the ceiling fans every 6 months, dust once a month, etc... but I have them all staggered so that I end up with about one chore or so a week. I don't ever have to think about it, the computer just tells me what to do, and I never have to spend more than maybe 15 minutes at a time on cleaning.

you are my worst nightmare.

—James Barrie

Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble

do tell, I could use a similar program if it would help me get out of the crisis management I live under.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #9
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Hmmmm...I'm a bit of a clean freak. I clean my house most days which includes sweeping and vaccuuming the floors. Wiping over all the surfaces for dust. Tidying my husbands incredibly messy office (I don't know how he messes it up when he only spends a couple of hours per evening in there). I usually wipe over the bathroom basin and tub but only use cleaning fluids on those surfaces once a week. I clean the toilet at least once a week. I wash all the sheets etc once a week. I also push all the cushions back properly into the couch.

I don't get dust bunnies thank god! Both me and hubby get the sneezes if there's much dust around.

Then I do the yard.

Under the house is a disaster area at the moment though. We're going to build in part of it, so since we moved there's a fair bit of stuff just chucked anywhere till we do the reno.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #10
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
So--really, how clean is your house? Is your grout clean? Are your outside gutters clean? Is your laundry room clean? Are the tops of your washer and dryer lint-free? If they are--I really hate you.
Grout? I don't have any grout..
Outside gutters? What are these "gutters" of which you speak?
Laundry Room? Mine is a 200 year old basement. It's a scary as you can imagine. Although I do keep my lint in a bag...

My house is SO dirty right now. I hope to have it clean in time for the holidays, but I might have to pen the kids and LJ in the yard to keep it that way.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

I *used* to be a super super clean freak!! Think OCD on crack! I couldnt sit down of a nite time or go to bed unless the house was in *display house* order.

Now with the two little kiddies living here, I have given up.

I dont get how we are all gone from 7.30am till 6pm and the house still gets trashed...I still havent figured out how to get the crayon off the walls or the yogurt off the roof.

Some people live and breathe by FlyLady ... I say flylady can go eff herself.

Last edited by DucksNuts; 11-20-2006 at 07:09 PM.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ducknuts and jinx--i think i love you

—James Barrie

Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
jinx
Come on, cat.

I used to do flylady, although I was never hard-core enough to wear makeup and shoes (couldn't grasp how that made my house cleaner either), it really does help. A maid would help a lot more I imagine.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I used to have a really nice tidy little cottage.......then I ran for local government and started a degree and it all went tits up so to speak.

I have learned to be comfortable in a mess now....it's the only way. Every so often it all gets too much and I go on a cleaning frenzy...but never if there's an essay due!
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:16 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I'll bet any one of you cunt's that no man will tread on this thread! waddya say?

—James Barrie