Old 04-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #601
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hahaha that's awesome.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #602
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Hilarious. He can take his patriarchal bullshit and put it right back where it came from.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #603
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

1965 Lord help the man who gets caught using one of these...
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2016, 12:09 PM   #604
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

West Point is investigating whether 16 female cadets broke military rules by taking this photo

Name:  Uh-huh.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  36.6 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #605
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Looking at the picture two questions;
1- Why are they wearing confederate uniforms?

2- Where is a sign or caption saying the raised fist is anything but an expression of victory for these 16 people about to graduate from West Point, which is pretty fucking awesome.

Everything I read at your link, and the link in the link, is construed interpretation by people looking to be offended. Much ado about nothing.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:23 PM   #606
sexobon

It's elementary my dear xoB,

The clenched fist can be a symbol or a salute; but, that's not how cadets are trained to salute.

It's a symbol of solidarity or support. People are asking with or for whom; because, the cadets aren't facing each other in the picture: they're facing the viewer. Who is the intended viewer they're using their military credentials to support by raising a clenched fist?

I've read the Wikipedia List of gestures (which includes Single handed gestures - Clenched fist); also, the linked article Raised fist and I don't see anywhere that the raised fist is a an "expression of victory" as you propose.

Of course you know a picture can be worth a thousand words, with no sign or caption needed, in which case the historical use of the gesture is what resonates. The cadets will have the opportunity to explain whether or not they were using their military credentials to express solidarity or support in a prohibited way. That's what it's about. Your contention that it's about people being offended is a red herring.

But so far these future military leaders aren't talking, go figure.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:41 AM   #607
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

WTF, you've never seen athletes punch the air when they are victorious?
Even the mild mannered, like chess players and pro wrestlers celebrate a victory.
But say you're right, and it's solidarity. Is it unusual for a military unit to express solidarity, be it basic training, a battle, or West Point? They certainly have something to celebrate after four years of pressure.
Why would these future military leaders say anything, nobody is asking them anything yet. Right now they are being tried by press in absentia.

But that doesn't explain why the leadership of this august institution requires black women to wear confederate uniforms.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #608
sexobon

The picture doesn't show them punching the air. There's a difference between punching the air and holding it:

Quote:
At the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, medal winners John Carlos and Tommie Smith gave the raised fist salute during the American national anthem as a sign of black power, and as a protest on behalf of the Olympic Project for Human Rights. For this, they were banned from further Olympic activities. The event was one of the most overtly political statements in the history of the modern Olympic Games.
The uniforms don't have to be politically correct; but, military personnel do and West Point cadets are considered part of the military. Perhaps you'd like to see all battleship gray military hardware painted chartreuse so as not to offend anyone. Feel free to write the Dept. of Heraldry which regulates these things. Another red herring. Watch out for mercury toxicity, it can make you do crazy things like trying to play the race card to deflect attention from an issue.

Quote:
Why would these future military leaders say anything, nobody is asking them anything yet. Right now they are being tried by press in absentia.
That's what's expected of LEADERS. When their actions create controversy, the onus is on them to take the initiative and (situation permitting) explain themselves in the interest of organizational cohesion. Otherwise they're just followers which raises the question of which special interest group they're following and does their action represent prohibited political endorsement.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #609
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I pay for the military academy with my taxes and I would like it to be arbitrarily racist.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #610
sexobon

Military academies and the conventional military reflect society in general. It's not until you get into elite units that those who make it to that level see each other as the same color...olive drab.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:29 PM   #611
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
At the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, medal winners John Carlos and Tommie Smith gave the raised fist salute during the American national anthem as a sign of black power, and as a protest on behalf of the Olympic Project for Human Rights.
Wrong, raised BLACK GLOVED fist salute.
Quote:
Watch out for mercury toxicity, it can make you do crazy things like trying to play the race card to deflect attention from an issue.
You're confused, it's John Burk playing the race card, saying because these cadets are black, they must be giving a black power or black lives matter salute.
Quote:
That's what's expected of LEADERS. When their actions create controversy, the onus is on them to take the initiative and (situation permitting) explain themselves in the interest of organizational cohesion.
Respond to every shit stirrer outside the organization(Burk), for cohesion within the organization? If that were true the chiefs in the Pentagon wouldn't have time for anything else. There is absolutely nothing any person can do that can't be twisted into a controversy.
Quote:
Military academies and the conventional military reflect society in general.
Piss poor example of leadership.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #612
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The new US $20 bill.
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #613
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Wrong, raised BLACK GLOVED fist salute.

You're confused, it's John Burk playing the race card, saying because these cadets are black, they must be giving a black power or black lives matter salute.Respond to every shit stirrer outside the organization(Burk), for cohesion within the organization? If that were true the chiefs in the Pentagon wouldn't have time for anything else. There is absolutely nothing any person can do that can't be twisted into a controversy.Piss poor example of leadership.
Yes dear.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #614
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Real leadership...
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #615
sexobon

Real leadership is holding everyone to the same standard and not making exceptions for small groups of the same race, religion, gender...etc. because it becomes politically incorrect.

In your depiction of real leadership, everyone who needs to have their thoughts about race changed is white. You probably didn't even notice because ...

You're brainwashed.

Probably pussywhipped too; but, that's OK 'cause you're a short-timer.

Tags
once an asshole