The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Now I've done it.

boss-dude called me into his office yesterday.

"I understand you met the CEO."

"Yes, I did."

"You impressed her. She has 'ideas' involving you."

"Oh. Sorry, I'll try to do worse next time. She doesn't show up randomly like that a lot, does she?"

"No, she doesn't. But if she does, there is something important to remember."

"What is that, boss-dude?"

"Make sure that you say something complimentary about ME."

"You betcha."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #32
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Ha! good one.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #33
Griff
still says videotape

Now, how to avoid the implementation of "ideas?"
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
She seemed to be doing the wandering around the right way ... not the let's catch people screwing up way that most CEOs do it.
She may also be trying to make herself available to the staff. Someone may have an idea or a gripe, that they wouldn't go to her office to mention.

On many occasions you've mentioned your fondness for Honey Mead. I happened to be a place in Lancaster they were selling it, (The Queen's Cup, Mount Hope Estate), so I grabbed a few bottles. I'd planned on sending most of it home to Cape Cod with my guest.

A taste and texture to encourage large, frequent, swallows, and 22 Proof.
I locked it all up in the big safe, and told her it was all gone.
I hate you, you've ruined my life, I can't drive, I'll probably run out of food and die... happy.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #35
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Wha-ha-ha .... Check out Cardinal Hollow Winery. They are in North Wales and have a store in Skippack.

Outstanding Mead and really good wines.

So, I worked the weekend with my trainer, hyperguy.

He was complaining about short staffing (a common complaint on weekday nights when you can see 20 patients in 8 hours). Now I have been there for two weeks at this point.

I made my usual comment and said, "Well, I'm the trainee and I really only count as half a person as far as staffing is concerned."

His reply? "You're not really a trainee."

"okay, so I count as three-quarters of a person." (i did not add "excepting Indians not Taxed, and yes, I know that's three-fifths, but this is how my brain works)

Further evidence ... last week one of the prns (as needed part timers) was also training. I was banging out paperwork, entering people in the computer, taking phone calls, and she was trying to read the manual about the computer system (which is, incidentally, just barely helpful in terms of learning the computer system), and because everybody else was busy with something ... I was teaching her how to do stuff.

I am still doing things wrong, but apparently I am doing fewer things wrong.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 04-24-2012, 03:42 AM   #36
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I would like to draw Anonymous's attention to the fact that what Wolf is describing here is "faking it". She feels a little uncertain in her role at her new job "I'm the trainee and I really only count as half a person as far as staffing is concerned." and "I am still doing things wrong, but apparently I am doing fewer things wrong.", but to others around her she seems to be The Dog's Bo11ocks "You're not really a trainee." and "I was teaching her how to do stuff."
An excellent example of faking it in everyday use!
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #37
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Yesterday I received an email from boss-dude.

"How do you feel about working your weekends alone in May?"

reply: "Terrified, but I'm sure I would rise to the occasion."

The negotiated settlement ... I get one more weekend with a partner, after that, I'm on my own.

Oh, and that other part-timer, the one who was asking me how to do stuff? Yeah, she's gone. The other night she just announced "I can't do this," and left. I have never seen anything like it. I'm used to people working through their shift and then contacting the boss the next day ... seen that more than once. Still don't know what happened to the third lady.

Last night we were quite busy. Paperwork was flying around the office, patients being brought in and out, I had to watch women pee and search them, since I was the only search certified female working. So ... there we were, during one of the rare lulls, talking about breaks and how we don't really get a chance to have them and all the other stuff we end up doing that's not directly our responsibility, trying to calculate the number of actual man-hours lost that would represent (it comes out close to an entire shift). So hyperguy says, "and what would that do?"

"It would give overnightchick something else to complain about."

There was a good five seconds of silence before hyperguy said to the other worker, "wolf has been here for less than a month and lookit what she has figured out."

"I, sir, am a highly skilled mental health professional."

Old 04-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #38
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
I have never seen anything like it.
A long time ago, in a galaxy and a job far, far away, a new employee left in the middle of her first day. Her stated reason? "I can't stand students."

The job was in the Registrar's Office at a college.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #39
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I have seen people leave at lunch and never come back without a word ... the more conscientious ones mail back their keys and ID. She was just so abrupt about it. One minute doing the job (and doing okay, as it happens), the next, announcing to a cow orker, not a supervisor, her decision to leave. She had boss-dude's phone number (he gave it to us on our first day), why not call him directly? That's where the disconnect is for me.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #40
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I forget if I told this over in So, Like i got Hired.

In case I didn't or even if I did, because it deserves being enshrined in this thread ... mentioning that boss-dude gave us his phone number on the first day reminded me of this.

My second day. I was still confused about a lot of what goes on in the department. Had a couple conversations with boss-dude about mental health law, so he knows I know my stuff.

Anyway, I was at a friend's house that night and my IM ringtone goes off ... boss-dude. What could he want? To ask a question about the law and procedures. Second day and I was an indispensable resource.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #41
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

When I was an office-rat we had a new starter who left at lunchtime.
She was 15-20 minutes late back from her scheduled break when our Team Leader received a call to say she was in A&E. No mobile phones in those days, she was on a payphone.

She's got caught in the automatic doors in Sainsburys and had broken her arm.

We never saw or heard from her again.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #42
glatt

Just reminded me of this guy who got his finger stuck in a staple remover here years ago. He didn't quit right away, but he went on to become a judge in Ohio.

OMG that was funny.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #43
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

At my old, old, old job...
We used to bet lunch on whether people would last till lunch. WAY TOO MANY did not.
Spending 4 hours with the bossasshole was more than most people could handle. Especially when one had nothing to look forward to but 4 more hours of the same after lunch.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #44
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

hahhahaha

"bosshole"
Old 04-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #45
monster
I hear them call the tide

We had a teacher quit at my kids' school during the/their first day a few years ago. Just walked out. it was a good call, it was evident they weren't a good match. But unusual to throw it all away quite like that. It's a public school, they were transfered from another school. They might have got transferred back out if they hadn't just walked away....

Wolf, you have an Infinite Monkey Ringtone? I want one of those!