The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #406
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Apparently so. Not so sure that was a good move though. The higher tides coming up could wreak a bit of havoc trying to cope with that and a storm surge.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #407
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

saw a bit this morning on TV about northern Oz being flooded while southern Oz is burning up hot and dry.

they showed some kid clinging to a tree in the middle of a flash flood---he was saved but the guy who saved him was almost killed himself while doing it.

Kids just lucky a dropbear didn't get him first.

follow up Oz question: how come you guys celebrate things (like, oh, I dunno, a bank holiday or something) but NSW never does it the day you guys do it? On my calendar it'll say such and such celebrated except for NSW. What's with NSW? Too good for the rest of the continent?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #408
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

NSW is New South Wales.
The clue is in the title.

The Welsh never did anything to suit the rest of the country
Old 01-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #409
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

What's more current than the weather outside my house rfn?

Just got back from carrot's last walk. About 4 hours ago as I was getting home, though a small amount of snow was falling it didn't seem very much. There was already some compacted snow on the ground from earlier in the week, but the roads were all clear and so were the paths in the main.

Anyhoo, here are a few pics from our walk around the village. Apols for the picture quality, the snow was blowing about a bit.

DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #410
DanaC

Ahhh....back home again. This is my little street. Note that the snow is getting heavier ;P

Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #411
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

We've got a near full moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow.

OMG Dana, I thought Australia was bad, but look at that cobweb.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #412
Griff
still says videotape

C'mon now, it's an old country.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:01 AM   #413
DanaC

Took Carrotchops for a walk and the snow is sooo deep! Bad enough on the pavements, but over on the field he all but vanished lol. Let him off the lead to go play with one of his friends he looked like a dolphin leaping through the snow. Vanishing and surfacing, vanishing and surfacing :P
Old 01-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #414
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

that's a great image! and thanks for the pics----you live NEAR Hebdon Bridge?

And that does seem like a lot of snow for you guys. I read about the winter of '63 in England and it was quite a dump of ice and snow. Are they comparing this one to that?

and Sundae--thanks for the answer. I should've known the Welsh thing----they are a bit different now, aren't they? LOL
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #415
DanaC

Quite near Hebbers, aye. 'Bout a 25 minute drive. That's where the two Js live

We've had as bad and worse in recent years. Don't forget I'm basically in the foothills of the Pennines between Lancashire and Yorkshire. If it's going to snow anywhere it's likely to be here, and likely to be deeper than on flatter ground.

It was worse Sunday-Monday. I had to cancel my classes for Monday afternoon and arrange alternative sessions. The roads in and out of the village were all but locked down. Also, this is unlikely to stick around long. That mad snowfall last night was the last hurrah, the thaw is already setting in amid flood warnings.

Won't be sorry to see it go. I've been having to wash Carrot's paws after every outing (3-5 times a day) for the last couple of weeks.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #416
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I feel like such a horrible dog owner when I hear you take carrot out 3-5 times a day-esp. in this kind of weather. I don't walk Autumn unless it's nice out...and I feel very bad mommy-ish for it. She IS nine, though, and more accustomed to a cozy life-but I KNOW she needs to walk. I just can't make myself do it in cold snowy weather.

—James Barrie

Old 01-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #417
DanaC

Bear in mind I don't have an outside space to let him go do whatever he needs to do. If he needs a quick wee, I have to take him out of the shared garden space onto the road or the lane. If I had a garden I'd walk him once or twice a day and let him in the garden the rest of the time.

He's also only 13 months old and not allowed walks of more than 20 minutes at a time, currently, because of his hips. When he's doing well with is walking, he can go up to 30 mins, but no more than that.

That's not a lot of exercise for a young bearded collie. They're an active, outdoor breed. So, I have to break his exercise down into multiple walks. that way he gets the same amount of walking in a daybut not all in one or two chunks leading to him fall back on his tired walk (which damages his hips) for the last third of each.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #418
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It rained here last night.
Cleared most oof the snow and ice.
Quite warm today, sun is shining.

Wish I lived in Dani's part of the country.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #419
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Oh, yeah; his poor hips.

but still. You are such a good doggie mommy.

—James Barrie

Old 01-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #420
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
It rained here last night.
Cleared most oof the snow and ice.
Quite warm today, sun is shining.

Wish I lived in Dani's part of the country.
what have you been up to, missy?

Miss size 18! fanfuckingtastic! You look great-even if you feel a bit ill. Are you feeling better?

—James Barrie