The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #571
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

TIL that the cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii) is named after William Clark, of Lewis & Clark fame.

As are the primrose Clarkia, and Clark's Nutcracker.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:05 AM   #572
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
TIL that the cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii) is named after William Clark, of Lewis & Clark fame.

As are the primrose Clarkia, and Clark's Nutcracker.
Similarly, there is also a Lewisia plant.

Lewisia is a plant genus, named for explorer Meriwether Lewis, who encountered the species in 1806. The native habitat of Lewisia species is north facing cliffs in western North America. Local Native Americans ate the roots, which have also been used to treat sore throats. --Wiki
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #573
Glinda

All my life, I've wondered how nut growers got the nutmeat out of a walnut in one piece. Last week, I learned how it's done.

I discovered the answer when I stole a bunch of walnuts from a pet sitting client's front yard (which was covered with nuts from two ginormous trees).

Seems that fresh walnut meats are kind of rubbery. Cracking the outer shell in several places makes it easy to remove the nut in one piece. The hardest thing is removing the membrane from the center of the nut, but because they're rubbery, you can slightly pry apart the nutmeat to get the membrane out without breaking the nut in half.

Mystery solved!
Old 10-24-2018, 10:54 AM   #574
glatt

But walnuts are covered in that thick green husk that stains your fingers. How did you get through that?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #575
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

As soon as they leave the tree the husk starts drying and will soon crack. Then it's easy to peel off like a tangerine. Black Walnuts, on the other hand, turn into a gooey mess.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #576
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

TIL that, in the Cellar, ya can't start a multi-quote with a post by a person on your ignore list.

Name:  multi.JPG
Views: 182
Size:  19.6 KB

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #577
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
TIL that, in the Cellar, ya can't start a multi-quote with a post by a person on your ignore list.
Today I learned that there's an ignore option.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #578
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

...and then I disappeared.

Old 10-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #579
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
But walnuts are covered in that thick green husk that stains your fingers. How did you get through that?
What Bruce said.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #580
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
...and then I disappeared.
Not at all Mr G!
Old 10-25-2018, 09:07 PM   #581
monster
I hear them call the tide

That if you have a latex allergy, you might not want to eat avocados. I can't remember if I've ever actually tried an avocado. I feel like they taste dirty, but maybe I just made that up. I'm sure I must have tried one, I'm usually game for any fruit. I never want to eat one (again), I can't really say why.... but now at least I have a good excuse. I KNOW everyone else loves them. They just don't look like something edible to me, despite their amazing nutritional values :/

I know, source is WebMD..... but I was looking for nutritional value so it seemed ok for that....

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/all-about-avocados

Because it was webMD I googled some more and I also learned it's the only fruit we eat from the Laurel family - although we cook with bay leaves and use cinnamon bark and flavor things with sassafras which are also all Laurel spawn. I only knew about the Bay and sassafras -the latter of which I learned in the last few weeks from my friend when we found some out walking. (FTR, I dislike cinnamon flavor immensely, more evidence needed on sassafras -been a long time since I tried it but I didn't like it then, but I cook with bay all the time)

here's one site about that tree family tree: http://www.actforlibraries.org/sassa...laurel-family/

and now I just went on to learn it's fairly likely my mild allergy to raw apples is related and possible my severe allergy to all things capsicum could be related. ....but I have't experienced reactions to any of the other things listed, so it could be a load of bollocks/coincidence too I don't really like bananas, though.... (but lurve kiwis. Pologirl once had a bad reaction to Kiwis though and has never touched them since....

http://latexallergyresources.org/cross-reactive-food

::selectiveevidencerocks::
Old 10-26-2018, 06:20 AM   #582
Griff
still says videotape

Not cool. Apple skins are one of Lil' Griff's enemies.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #583
glatt

Wait, so do you have a latex allergy?

Crazy that your body/taste buds already told you that you hate things from that family before you learned you might be allergic.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:07 AM   #584
Squawk
Peoploid

I haven't learnt anything today yet, but it's only 2pm here so there's still hope for me.

Lo-Fidelity Allstars
Squawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:06 PM   #585
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Wait, so do you have a latex allergy?

Crazy that your body/taste buds already told you that you hate things from that family before you learned you might be allergic.
Yes. Hives out the hoohaa. Literally, as it was actually diagnosed after an examination as I was in labor with my oldest. Prior to that I always just thought I was allergic to washing up.