The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 03-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #3511
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I once held out for more, but no one would give it to me and I cried and writhed.

I seriously have no idea what you guys are talking about. But it isn't about me, so be gone with you.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:47 AM   #3512
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I once held out for more, but no one would give it to me and I cried and writhed.

I seriously have no idea what you guys are talking about. But it isn't about me, so be gone with you.
You can overplay the hard to get game...
Old 03-11-2016, 11:00 AM   #3513
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

That is my spesh-ee-al-ee-tee.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #3514
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
He did want to sell it, he just wanted more money than they were offering.
Oh, I didn't realize he had it up for sale before they came along and lowballed him. [/quote]
Old 03-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #3515
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Nice to see our schools and nurseries doing their bit to root out extremism among the youth:

Quote:
Staff at a nursery school threatened to refer a four-year-old boy to a de-radicalisation programme after he drew pictures which they thought showed his father making a “cooker bomb”, according to the child’s mother.

The child’s drawing actually depicted his father cutting a cucumber with a knife, his mother says, but staff misheard his explanation and thought it referred to a type of improvised explosive device.

On Friday the boy’s mother showed the Guardian video footage of her son in which he is playing happily on the floor of his home, and is shown a cucumber and asked what it is. “A cuker-bum,” he says, before going back to his toys.
So far so funny, but what a horrible thing for a parent, let's hope the staff at least acted with a modicum of sympathy and respect, eh?

Quote:
In between the odd tear and laugh of disbelief, the mother spoke about the experience, which she said had left her shaken and upset, and involved her being told at one point: “Your children might not be taken off you ... you can prove yourself innocent.”
Of another exchange with nursery staff, she added: “I said: ‘When you look at me from where do I look like a terrorist?’ … and she said: ‘Well, did Jimmy Savile look like a paedophile?’”
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...ng-cooker-bomb
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:04 PM   #3516
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
… and she said: ‘Well, did Jimmy Savile look like a paedophile?’”
...sort of...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:29 PM   #3517
DanaC

Yeah...that wasn't the best example she could have gone with.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #3518
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Official: 40 dead ducks along Pennsylvania road placed there

One of the commenters says "Fowl play is suspected.".

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #3519
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I'm not sure if this qualifies as weird news, but it's somewhat out of the ordinary.

Quote:
JCB digger carries Bristol man Paul Nowicki's coffin
Name:  JCBFuneral.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  147.4 KB

Quote:
The bucket of a JCB has carried a man's coffin in celebration of the belief he was the digger's first driver in Bristol.

Paul Nowicki, 90, who died earlier this month, first drove one of the vehicles in the late 1950s.

His son John said his father wanted a JCB to be used for the funeral and "did not want a huge religious ceremony".

He said his father was a "remarkable man" who was forced into the German army in World War Two or face death.

Mr Nowicki's coffin was driven from his home in the village of Pucklechurch near Bristol to Westerleigh Crematorium - a journey of about 1.5 miles (2.5 km).

Mr Nowicki arrived in the UK as an asylum seeker after the war, settling in Avonmouth, where he worked as a building labourer and started driving digging machinery for work.

"He was the first driver to operate a JCB - a JCB Dinkum - in Bristol, in about 1959," his son said.

"He was a very sought after driver. On one occasion the foundations of a property had to be dug right in the middle of a swamp.

"Everybody said it would be impossible, but my dad built a wooden bridge to sit the digger on and the job was done."

"At 17 years of age, when Germany invaded Poland, he was given the ultimatum to join the army or else his whole family would have gone to the death camps with the Jews," he said.

"If you were not a Jew but old enough to join the German army you had to do it.

"He was a hero. He saved the lives of 11 people - his mother, father, brothers and sisters."
It's a shame that he was cremated and not buried. They could have used the back hoe to dig the grave.

Anyway, I wonder if it was on his bucket list?

Report with video here: BBC Link
Old 03-31-2016, 10:12 AM   #3520
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Definitely qualifies.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #3521
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

SUV flees cops, takes out Navy fighter jet

If the video at the link plays for you, please let me know. TIA. Nevermind.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #3522
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Kansas toddler hospitalized after small octopus lodged in throat

Yes, you read that right...Kansas. Octopus. Throat.

Old 04-08-2016, 02:32 PM   #3523
DanaC

Wha...?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #3524
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's what happen when you try to ram your culture down a child's throat. Religion too.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #3525
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Powys mum banned from naming daughter Cyanide by court

Quote:
A mother has been banned from naming her baby Cyanide after the poison which Adolf Hitler took before shooting himself.

The woman, from Powys, also chose the name Preacher for the girl's twin brother - saying she had a human right to name her own children.

She said Cyanide was a "lovely, pretty name" with positive connotations as it was taken by Hitler.

The Court of Appeal ruled the "unusual" choices might harm the children.

The court was told the mother had a history of mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse.

The infant twins, as well as the mother's other children, have been taken from her care.

When Powys council social workers learnt of the names the mother had chosen for the twins, they took the case to court.

In June, a judge issued an injunction against the mother, forbidding her from formally registering the twins' forenames.

Lawyers appealed, claiming a violation of the woman's right to respect for family life.

But Lady Justice King said naming a little girl after a "notorious poison" was simply unacceptable.

Although there was nothing seriously objectionable about the name Preacher, she ruled both twins' names should be chosen by their older half-siblings.

Lady Justice King said "even allowing for changes in taste, fashion and developing individual perception", Cyanide was a very odd name to give to a baby girl.

The mother said Cyanide was linked with flowers and plants and was "responsible for killing Hitler and Goebbels and I consider that this was a good thing".

Hitler took the poison in April 1945 with Eva Braun before shooting himself.

Lady Justice King said the courts would intervene to prevent a parent naming a child "in only the most extreme cases".
I wonder what the other children were called. Hemlock and Deadly Nightshade, perhaps? I hear that Fly Agaric is becoming an increasingly popular moniker in some circles.

BBC Wales Link