The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-19-2004, 09:09 PM   #1
garnet

Favorite Vacation Spot?

I'm hoping to take a vacation in the not-too-distant future, and was wondering if anybody has any ideas for cool places. I was thinking Asia, but I've never been there and have no concept of what it's like (or if I'd like it). I LOVE Europe, but want to try somewhere a bit more exotic.

**I don't have anything specific in mind--I'm just curious about good experiences others have had, whether in the US or international**

Last edited by garnet; 08-19-2004 at 11:04 PM.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Nothing But Net
Professor

If you're looking for someplace new, where have you been?
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 09:29 PM   #3
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing But Net
If you're looking for someplace new, where have you been?
12 countries in Europe, Canada, Mexico and almost all of the 50 states....
Old 08-19-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

Iraq, maybe?

You might think about maybe New Zealand, though I understand it's a bit more touristy now thanks to good ole' Pete Jackson.

Whereabouts in Europe have you visited? I have a friend that spent quite a bit of time in Russia and he found it to be the most fascinating place he had ever visited.

What do you like? Visiting new and interesting cities? Getting out into the quiet of the country? Lounging on the beach with a steady stream of the cocktail of your choice? Myself? When I'm ready to vacation it's usually because I want some fucking solitude, and I find that's relatively easy (cheap) to obtain. If your bent is to see new things, it helps to know what kinds of things you want to see.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:05 PM   #5
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by perth
Iraq, maybe?
Thanks, I'll think about it!
Old 08-19-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
Nothing But Net
Professor

If it's not too personal, what is your budget? That has a lot of bearing on the subject.
Nothing But Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:25 AM   #7
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
If you haven't been to any of the North American islands, may I suggest Bermuda. Lots of people have that Bermuda triangle complex thing, but it's really a beautiful place, a Mid-Eastern seaboard latitude, nice people, awesome places to explore, like sea caves and wetlands...and of course that warm beautiful cobalt blue water...well. It's one of my favorite Anywhere But Here destinations.

Man, I oughta be paid for THAT plug.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:43 AM   #8
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Although I am a city gal at heart, my dream vacation is to the canopy of the rainforest in Central America -- complete with the rope ladders from tree to tree. Has anyone taken one of those "eco tours" to this area? I understand there's a huge range in quality of accommodations and experience. Any endorsements?

Garnet, the best vacation I've had in recent years was when I farmed out the kids, stayed home, and acted like a tourist in my metropolitan area (Baltimore/D.C.). After years of schlepping kids through various fun and educational sites, it was a true pleasure to revisit the Hirschorn with only adult synapses firing.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 AM   #9
jdbutler
If ya cant take a joke, Effya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing But Net
If it's not too personal, what is your budget? That has a lot of bearing on the subject.

Try an "all inclusive" resort. They are everywhere and most importantly, your bar tab is included...
Old 08-20-2004, 07:59 AM   #10
Skunks
I thought I changed this.

I think the best vacation is one in which you actually get a chance to unwind.

Vegetation doesn't require an exotic locale. In fact, going somewhere exotic is counterproductive. High expectations will give you a senseless drive to <i>do something</i>. I'm not advocating a vacation in a shithole, because that's just as bad. But something pleasant, peaceful, and plain.

Find a friend or relative with a place big enough in a relaxed part of the world and spend a week with them. If those criteria fit multiple people, pick the one least likely to do anything touristy, or who won't feel obligated to do anything special for you, aside from maybe take some time off to hang out.
Skunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 08:58 AM   #11
glatt

I would suggest New Zealand.

I've been all over Europe a few times, all over the US, through much of Canada and a little bit in Mexico.

With all that traveling, my favorite foreign country is New Zealand. But I am the kind of person who likes rugged outdoor beauty. The South Island is the better of the two for the rugged wilderness. New Zealand has the added bonus of the English language.

I haven't been to any of Asia, but I have several friends and family who have spent a lot of time there. Asia is a very big place, and what you see and do there will vary a lot depending on where you go. You can go to expensive crowded cities, just get a hut on a gorgeous beach for $10 a night, or travel around the countryside.

How adventurous are you? Are you concerned at all about being able to speak the language? Read the alphabet? Do you prefer to park yourself in one spot and relax, do adventurous outdoors stuff, or visit museums and churches in a city?

Before you go somewhere, read up about the current state of affairs there. For example, Nepal is usually a cool place to go, but there has been an ongoing Maoist uprising there in recent months, and Americans are getting harassed on some of the trails of the Himalayas. My brother had a few harrowing days there in the spring, trying to avoids bands of roaming Maoists between some rural villages.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Japan. Specifically the Hokkaido. In some places it's greener than Ireland. Which is also a great place to go, incidentally.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:57 PM   #13
russotto
Professor

I'm headed to New Zealand this winter. Don't go there, I want the country to myself.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:07 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Korea has scenery, wine and exotic food.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Korea has scenery, wine and exotic food.
and, according to my Ex boyfriend (ARMY), "really good whores!"
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote