The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #16
glatt

I was a cub scout in Arizona in the 70s. That was cool. I was new to the area, Tuscon, and I met a lot of people that way. We went on lots of hikes and camping trips. It was a lot of fun. There were several big events each year.

I joined the boy scouts in Maine a few years later, and it sucked. Lots of boring small den? meetings and fund raisers. Had to do things to get merit badges etc. Never did get to go on any trips there. We just spent a lot of time reading the manual and talking about boy scout stuff. I quit after one year.

In hindsight, I would concur that it depends on who the leaders are.

Our next door neighbors in here are big into the girl scouts. Every summer, they have half a dozen tents in their back yard. The gilrs seem to have fun, but I would rather go camping in the wilderness. It looks like it's all social for them.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #17
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'll think about making it next year. It's actually quite complex. It's an arranged salad. Individual plates. You can see how it's not quite a forks-fit ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 01:05 PM   #18
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I applaud the Boy Scouts desire to stand true to their charter and founding ideals.
Me too. They can stand for it all they like, but I don't want to support it with my tax dollars (indirectly, through their use of public spaces for meetings, school staff and resources to send flyers home to students) or my donations that arre intended for other organizations (which is how United Way of CM sends out a portion of all its proceeds).
Old 08-20-2004, 01:06 PM   #19
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

As the lone dissenting Girl Scout in my troop I was roughly grabbed from my bunkbed at dawn and tied to the totem pole. I managed to escape in time for Hunter's Stew and S'mores. At Resident's camp (2 weeks, semi-primitive) I was forced to make jam and candles. It was, all in all, a terrifying time to be a girl.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:33 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
"Give me your children until you are 12 and they will be mine forever." (isn't that how the saying goes?)
I thought it was 7.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #21
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

My friend Kurtis, who lurks here from time to time was a Boy Scout Master for a while and I will encourage him to read this thread and state his positions. He may or may not know much about the Girl Scouts, but can speak well on the Boy Scouts and you can parse what he says to apply to the GS.

Brian
Old 08-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #22
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
As the lone dissenting Girl Scout in my troop I was roughly grabbed from my bunkbed at dawn and tied to the totem pole.
I'm guessin' you did something really naughty to deserve that....
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #23
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I recall stealing marshmallow's and eating so may Nacho Cheese Dorito's that I had projectile vomiting. Other than that...
Old 08-20-2004, 03:13 PM   #24
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

OK, before NBN gets here, how old were you when you were tied to the totem pole, and what were you wearing? :p
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:15 PM   #25
garnet

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 44/100% pure
... or my donations that arre intended for other organizations (which is how United Way of CM sends out a portion of all its proceeds).
The last company I worked for used to do a big fundraiser in December every year, and give the proceeds to the United Way. That came to a crashing halt when people got wind of the Boy Scout policy about gays. I think they give all the money to PETA now. (Just kiddin'!!!! ) Does anyone know if the Boy Scouts still gets any funding from the United Way?
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 03:18 PM   #26
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
OK, before NBN gets here, how old were you when you were tied to the totem pole, and what were you wearing? :p
Are you asking me??

I was 12 and I believe I had on the traditional boxer shorts and tank top--my sleep wear to this very day (if anyone cares...and if anyone is barfing at the thought-I humbly apologize. Humbly.)
Old 08-20-2004, 05:17 PM   #27
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

My Girl Scout experience was great from what I recall. Loved the cookie drive (lol who doesn't...never mind someone here might actually answer that). Didn't care that we didn't learn all the "outdoor" stuff. Lets face it: an all black GS troop is NOT trying to become outdoorsmen (women), so all of the "girly" stuff was fine with us. We went camping ONCE and stayed in a cabin with running water and toilets. Don't give a fuck that some ppl would not call it "real" camping...it was to us. Slept in sleeping bags...hated it. Guess I'm too much of a city gal. Need 4 walls, a bed, cable TV, room service, etc.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #28
warch
lurkin old school

I was a brownie, but couldnt handle much else. I enjoyed organized sports more- softball, swimming. I did like girl scout camp. I went even after I dropped out of the year round stuff. There was a wilderness challenge, 4 of us( I'm guessing age 11 or so) spent the night on a mountain in PA alone with no adults, (within screaming distance of the base camp) but we had to build a lean-to, dig a latrine, build fires, store the food in a tree. The site was checked the next day and we got a certificate. I remember being very jazzed to make it through that program. In adolescence, I went to a few church camps of various denominations, just to go with a friend, co- ed, purely social, prepubescent thrills, vespers and all that.

I think the camping experiences that build independence and cooperation, with a respect for nature are great. But you dont need scouting to give that to a kid. Sounds like youse do that pretty regularly as a family. I have a coworker here that has a teenage daughter that takes on a new wilderness challenge each summer. This year it was a 3 week long portage from MN into Canada. With just a small group. it was quite an accomplishment. Mom swears its been so great for her daughter's confidence, patience, all around maturity.

And I think the only other good thing about some scouting would be the building of some sense of social responsibilty- opportunities to volunteer, help others. But again, you can foster that with out the whole organized scouting thing, more effectively.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:53 PM   #29
Brigliadore
stays crispy in milk

I too was a Brownie and then briefly a girl scout. We had fun, went on a few camp outs to different places and I recall learning to start a fire and such. When we moved to California (when I was 9) I tried to join the local girl scout troop and was told unanimously by the other girls that I wasn't welcome to join and I should just leave. Life is to short to put up with bitches like that, so I didn't join. Thus ended my girl scout days. I too believe the experience you have in the scouts has a great deal to do with the scout leader.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:07 PM   #30
marichiko

I was a girl scout and it was a pretty fun experience for me. I don't recall being indoctrinated with any more nazi values than what the culture around me was trying to heap on my head. My group did some pretty fun things and every summer I spent some time camping at the local girl scout ranch. I liked getting all the badges, and it WAS educational to do the work to get one. I learned how to make something I call "girl scout stew," and it is a featured item in my camping menu to this very day!