The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #1
Relisnhoj
Ender of Vendors

Anyone Know A Good Web Hosting Co.

I'm just looking for a good web host. Not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but price, security, and features would be a good start. Does anyone have any recomendations or warnings of companies to stear clear of?
~John
"The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
~Frank Zappa
Relisnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:58 PM   #2
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

What do you *really* need? What's the site?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I've been happy with dreamhost.com .... I admit my needs are very modest, but they offer a lot of nice extras for a good price, and have been very stable.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Fuitadnet is pretty good, it's where me and my friend host our site. Tons of space and bells and whistles for a good price. However, they are one of those companies with tech support based way out in the middle of nowhere. If you can put up with that, it's a good buy.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:35 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

lunarpages.com is pretty good.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

http://www.deusvult.org/index.html
Old 12-22-2004, 10:59 AM   #7
Relisnhoj
Ender of Vendors

What I *really* need is a little space, for pictures, random files that I'd like to access from anywhere, and e-mail. My needs are very basic, and for now it would most likely be a small site that no one looks at. But you've got to start somewhere. I'll look at the suggestions. Thanks for all the help!
"The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
~Frank Zappa
Relisnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #8
99 44/100% pure
Infrequently Astonished

John (taht uoy llac yam I fi), have you registered a domain name yet? Watch out for hosts that charge up to $100 for a service that should be about $25, and which you can do for yourself for even less. Given your modest needs, watch out, also for huge organizations which offer you a boatload of services you don't need, all included in their low, low price! You should go with something that offers what you want, at a la carte prices. I recommend my buddy at http://www.deusvult.org/index.html because he's a fine, upstanding guy just getting his business off the ground. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2004, 08:56 PM   #9
mbpark
Lecturer

BurstNet

Heya,

Here's my disclaimer: I am very good friends with the owner/CEO of this company and know his tech staff.

I use BurstNET for some virtual hosting at $4.95 per month. I get a little space I can SSH or FTP into, and CPanel (Web-based control panel) for handling e-mail accounts and the like.

Mitch
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote