The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 11-18-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Happy Holidays

I'm not a total humbug; really, I'm not. But on a stroll through a mall today I could not help getting pretty grouchy with all the secular Christmas crap I saw. Fake trees, fake snow, and NO references to JC, because that would upset some people. I'm probably one of the few atheists who WANT to see a manger, three wise men, Frank incense (who the hell is Frank, anyway, or is that incense more up front and sincere than other incenses?) and fuckin murr, whatever the fuck that is. And the fuckin baby Jesus for Christ's sake. Pun intended.

Regarding the fake snow. I saw a dad and some little 4-year-old kid standing near the Santa (don't get me started) photo locale and the little kid pointed to the white, fiberglass stuff on the ground and asked "What is that daddy?" Daddy said "That's snow. Winter. Winter." It made me so mad. I thought to myself that if I were that dad, I would say "That's fake snow, son, it's a representation of snow, but if it were real snow, it would be melting. Some day I will show you real snow." Whatever.

The REASON for the Season? Shopping I guess. Here in the South I feel sorry for all the people that have to use fake snow; not that they don't do that up in Northern malls, but real, honest-to-goodness snow is something no kid should miss out on. Imagine, some dad pointing to white fiberglass and telling his kid that it's snow. That's just wrong.

And the stupid little "train." OK, in the most rudimentary notion of a train it was that, but it simply mocked a steam train. Now don't start saying "What about model trains? They mock steam trains too!" They are totally different; they are usually so detailed that one can envision a real train. The one at the mall looks so fake. Sure, let the kids have fun. I have no problem with
that.

But I remember in a mall I went to when I was a kid, the covered up the central fountain with plywood and let some local model train club go nuts with their HO-scale trains and modeling skilz. Holy Fuck!!! I could spend hours watching all these model trains going around, through tunnels, over bridges, through little towns. Everything was to scale and looked so real you felt you were on a plane looking down at the real world.

I also remember when my dad took me and my siblings to Edaville Railroad in Carver, MA where we rode a real steam train through a landscape covered with real snow. But they've gone and fucked that up too, adding fireworks and deciding to heat the fucking passenger cars. Part of the fun was feeling that cold air, and looking over the cranberry bogs under the moonlight. Sure, they had some lighted displays, but now that's not enough. Nothing like fireworks to invoke the baby Jesus.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I like the secular Christmas stuff, but right now it should be secular Thanksgiving stuff! I mean, come on! give it up for the oranges, browns and yellows. Hold off on red, white, and green until November 25 at the earliest.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
cjjulie
Colonist Extraordinaire

Yesterday I saw a Pink Boa Christmas Tree

Last edited by cjjulie; 11-18-2006 at 06:50 PM.
cjjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #4
busterb
NSABFD

And there'll never be any. From above
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjulie
I can't decide between the Indoor Glittery Pink Feather Christmas Lights or the Clear Christmas Lights with Pink Jelly Flowers.

Quote:
And the stupid little "train." OK, in the most rudimentary notion of a train it was that, but it simply mocked a steam train.
Probably looked like the trains in children's books. There's a good chance the kids, and possibly the designer of the train prop, haven't seen real trains other than the modern ones zipping across the RR crossing.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 11-18-2006 at 08:54 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:18 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjjulie
My friend's 7 year old daughter has a pink Barbie tree all her very own that looks very much like that.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:03 AM   #7
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
The REASON for the Season?
It is all about atmosphere!!!

I have to admit that when I went into the mall last week, something I rarely do, btw, I was actually excited to see the decorations up.

I don't know, it does something, it evokes a sense of wonder. This mall has a big display that sort of imitates Noah's ark . . . without the Noah . . . without the ark . . . it is pairs of animals from all over. They use the same thing every year, so I know what it all looks like, but from the second floor it is just so . . . peaceful. Fake snow and all.

Oh, and my Christmas shopping is done and none of it was from a mall. So, I'm NOT one of THOSE.

At home we do the Christiany thing, but out and about I like the kitsch and the bling and the hustle and bustle. I LOVE going to the nicer stores on Christmas Eve just to pick up some vibes of shopping frenzy while I leisurely stroll and check out the people.

I shamelessly seek out the over-decorated homes, even though I barely put trim lights on my place.

It only happens once a year and it is like a chance to evoke these frivolous feelings of child-like glee and experience a little bit of the ooh and aah that can be possible, and would be more possible, if we could just figure out to live as civilized human beings . . .
Old 11-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I like Saturnalia.

And Yule.

And Hanukkah.

And Christmas.

I really need to get busy...
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
Ibby
erika

I'm neutral on the whole 'secular christmas' thing. I dont think theres some kind of bullshit war on christmas going on, christians dont have a monopoly on mid-to-late december (especially considering jesus was born in spring), but I also have no problem with religious overtones to the completely consumerist holiday. People can wish me a happy christmas all they want, and I'll say the same back.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #10
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
I like the secular Christmas stuff, but right now it should be secular Thanksgiving stuff! I mean, come on! give it up for the oranges, browns and yellows. Hold off on red, white, and green until November 25 at the earliest.
There's no $$ in Thanksgiving. Or Easter. Halloween & Xmas = $$
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote