The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 09-06-2020, 06:48 PM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

They redid my old high school a few years back. Not quite as impressive as that, but a lot more impressive than I expected.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:03 PM   #17
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
also, the answer to the "why tf built a school that size for 1600 students" seems to be, per wikipedia:
Still only 1600 students. they could have 1600 athletics programs, but it wouldn't change the number of students.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:20 PM   #18
Ibby
erika

oh, dont get me wrong, i agree it's stupid. but its a moderately wealthy seeming area as far as google tells me and i bet everyone in the Madison area who wants a kid to grow up and play for the Canucks or Rams is gonna try and move into this district if they aren't already. my guess is that this is an example of runaway sports spending, and then they had to throw in some other fancy stuff to justify the pools and stadia and weight room etc.... but hey, maybe the voters of the district really do want whats best for their kids? 180mil is a lotta dough to cough up, but,
Old 09-06-2020, 08:47 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It's also common for school districts to put extra money into the facilities of one campus, and then tell students at other campuses to go there. So for example, all the intramural swim meets between high schools might be held there. If there are neighboring school districts close by, it can even be profitable. One rich part of Austin incorporated into its own district, and then charged a rental fee for schools in the main city district to use their fancy theater, pool, etc. Our orchestra performed on their stage several times because the best our school could offer was a cafeteria.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #20
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
oh, dont get me wrong, i agree it's stupid. but its a moderately wealthy seeming area as far as google tells me and i bet everyone in the Madison area who wants a kid to grow up and play for the Canucks or Rams is gonna try and move into this district if they aren't already. my guess is that this is an example of runaway sports spending, and then they had to throw in some other fancy stuff to justify the pools and stadia and weight room etc.... but hey, maybe the voters of the district really do want whats best for their kids? 180mil is a lotta dough to cough up, but,
Yes. Maybe they know something we don't know. When there was talk around here of a new tech park that would become the silicon valley of the east, there was a lot of speculative spending (widening the corridors and adding new lanes) When things didn't become quite as silicon valley-esque as was hoped there ended up being a lot of empty upscale shopping plazas, empty dry cleaners, high-end asian fusion restaurants, and McMansion ghettos.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #21
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

This area used to be a barren paved area in the middle of the school, open in order to let light into the classrooms, but pretty uninviting at the bottom.

Now it's the grand entrance, plaza, and dining area.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Word on the street is much of that High School money is coming from Epic.

Quote:
Epic Systems Corporation, or Epic, is a privately held healthcare software company. According to the company, hospitals that use its software held medical records of 54% of patients in the United States and 2.5% of patients worldwide in 2015.
They had already kicked in for a new library and some other town projects.
Old 09-09-2020, 06:17 AM   #23
Griff
still says videotape

One of our local High Schools has a single donor who does a lot.

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/...sold/78672528/

He fixed up the sports facilities but nothing as nuts as Verona. It turns out he went to Lil' Griff's college.