The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #1
it
Banned

Source Hunt

Google works in mysterious ways, and the failing prayers of one person will not be answered the same ways as the prayer of others. Thus the server deity said - help each other! for you are all blind bats stuck in different elephent cavaties!

A lot of people here seems to be academically oriented (while my job is to make deductions from interesting fact-lists and do so in the form of dick jokes), So I am sure I am not the only one here who has various projects that require hunting down sources of information.

I figured that this thread might be a good a place for people to post what they are looking for, and other members of the community can help.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
it
Banned

things i remember reading about but have no idea where or can't get, and now i need them:

1) A Statistical study showing that where you study is a lot more important for companies then what you study, and where you study.

2) Any study showing that the prestige of the institution you studied under is tied directly to how many applicants get rejected.

3) A study regarding the (in)affectiveness of lectures by testing what they remembered from the lecture.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
anonymous
Operations Operative

3) effectiveness not affectiveness. Look for the work of Bligh. For example: Twenty Terrible Reasons For Lecturing
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
regular.joe
Старый сержант

Within the last week I heard a program on NPR with a physics prof who is working on changing the scene of lecture style teaching. He gave a test to his students, as well as to the guys who have passed physics courses with simple questions that would test whether or not the subjects being tested understood the underlying principles. Questions like, if two objects of the same size but of different weight, say 20 lbs and 10 lbs, were droped from the same height would one hit the ground first, the other hit the ground first or both at the same time. It turns out that only about 10 percent of test subjects did well on the test. Even among students who had passed a college level physics course. Students only memorize the formulas and apply them without understanding the underlying principles. The students who did well on the test to understand underlying principles would have learned the stuff on their own without going to a lecture anyway. So, the point being the lecture classes only passed on the information while a more hands on participatory approach teaches more. Of course profs polled say that their lecture classes are ok as is.

Death, like birth, is a secret of Nature. - Marcus Aurelius.
regular.joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

The students that said the two objects would fall at the same rates
may have been teenagers years ago who saw that same exercise
conducted by the astronauts on the moon.

Now, did those students pass or fail ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
3) effectiveness not affectiveness. Look for the work of Bligh. For example: Twenty Terrible Reasons For Lecturing
your awesome (and persumably totally non affiliated with the online terrorist group).

if anyone's interested, i found the other two:

Where you study is a lot more important then what you study, and where you study
http://nersp.nerdc.ufl.edu/~lombardi/edudocs/eide.pdf

the prestige of the institution you studied under is tied directly to how many applicants (demand) get rejected (because of supply)
http://books.google.co.il/books?id=V...201996&f=false

(i am hoping that my editors will accept credited sources crediting and qouting the sources i want, because the originals don't seem to be online)

but this thread doesn't have to be just for me , anyone who needs source hunting is more then welcomed to post.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:51 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I'm just on a sauce hunt I'm afraid.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote