The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 AM   #3601
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
And here's a shot of the tent with a kid in it, reaching simultaneously for the zippers on both doors.
Is this what happened when everybody got out?
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #3602
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

It would be a nice thing for you to do.
And even if your Dad does not iron out the wrinkles,
you would have a reminder each time you saw them of your good deed.

Win - Win
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM   #3603
JamesB
Violator of Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
So anyway, I feel sorry for this woman. Her car was a heap of shit beforehand, and now it's worse. She lives in my neighbourhood, and I know which house she lives in. It's nothing flash. She was neat and tidy, but clearly not expensively dressed.

She has assured me that if I get quotes, she'll give me the money to get my car fixed, but I really feel like I need to give her a break. There's not all that much damage to my car (my beautiful good little car that I love). The boot has a bit of a wrinkle where the back has been a bit bent, and the bumper either needs replacing or respraying, so really, all in all, not too bad.

Would you 'pay it forward' so to speak? Put something good out into the universe?

As I said to Daryl this morning, I just feel sorry for the woman, and doubt she's got the money to give me. I imagine her life is a daily struggle and this would be just one more little thing to create havoc for her. With that in mind, I just want to let her off the hook for this one and tell her to buy some insurance instead.

I'm going to ask Dad if he can fix the boot and stuff for me, and I think the bumper will be fine as it is for now. I might find a replacement at a wrecking yard some time down the track. Who knows.

I just want to come out of this with a free conscience. You know. Feel that I've done something to make someone's life a little easier
Yes, the idea of "paying it forward" is a noble gesture, but do get your car looked at by a professional. The way cars are built these days, sometimes what looks like a minor bit of damage on the surface turns out to be major structural damage. It is possible that the underlying damage is sufficient render your car less structurally sound (and less safe) and it could even lead to your insurance company voiding your next claim. I have seen cars written off for what appeared to be nothing more than a few wrinkles in the bodywork. Underneath, the car's crumple zones were sufficiently damaged that the repair costs were more than the vehicle's value.

If you get a quote, tell them it's going to be a cash job and not an insurance job. The quote will reflect this as there will be less padding to make up for the runaround that insurance companies often give the repairers.

To be honest, someone that's driving around in a car without even "3rd party property" coverage is showing a complete lack of consideration for other people. Yes her life may be tough, but every time she goes out on the road, she's playing high stakes gambling using what may be someone else's most valuable possession as her bankroll.

Quote:
Nothing says unprofessional job like wrinkles in duct tape.
Disclaimer: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, and may entirely lack a coherent theme.
JamesB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #3604
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Went and saw Dad on Friday. He reckons he can fix it pretty easily with a little help from a teenage boy or two, so we're going to head up to the farm next weekend and get it sorted.

In the mean time, I'm going to get a quote from a smash repairer and give it to the lady who hit me. I'll let her decide if she wants to cover any or all of the cost for whatever needs doing at the smash repairs. If she chooses to pay, I'll be able to get my dad a nice present instead of paying someone else I guess. I think I'll still need to replace the bumper though. We'll see how it looks when Dad's finished with it. He's a pretty handy bloke.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #3605
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Life is so tiring sometimes....sigh....
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #3606
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Juice it up, go skydiving, skinny dipping, drag racing...
Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #3607
glatt

Article in WSJ condemning false API tweet ironically gets president's name wrong.

Quote:
By JONATHAN CHENG, MIKE CHERNEY and JERRY DICOLO

A false tweet briefly sent financial markets veering on Tuesday, in the latest illustration of traders' sensitivity.

U.S. stocks and the dollar briefly plunged Tuesday afternoon and U.S. Treasury bonds and gold prices soared, after a tweet from the Associated Press's Twitter account claimed that there were two explosions in the White House and that President Barrack Obama had been injured.
Sucky journalists commenting on sucky journalists. I may be sucky, but at least I don't hold myself out to be something special.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3608
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wait, I go to your link and see...
Quote:
A false tweet briefly sent financial markets veering on Tuesday, underscoring technology's role in tightly linking global markets and highlighting the potential pitfalls of that reliance on technology.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average and oil prices briefly plunged Tuesday afternoon and U.S. Treasury bond prices soared, after a tweet from the Associated Press's Twitter account claimed that there were two explosions in the White House and that President Barack Obama had been injured.
This does not match your quote. Did they change the article, I don't see any corrections listed?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #3609
glatt

They changed it. I added the bold, but the rest was a copy and paste.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #3610
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Heh, they must have gotten some tweets. Well you've captured their foibles so they won't get away with it, when the rest on the nation reads this thread.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #3611
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I can smell sausages.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #3612
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

What kind?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:14 AM   #3613
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Pork I think. But that was yesterday.
Today I am treading on eggshells.

I haven't done anything wrong, in fact I have behaved in an exemplary fashion. But the 'rents had new sofas delivered today and the delivery men came early. The window was 09.00-12.00 and they called at 07.50 to say they were on their way.

Meh, the 'rents are old and hate a change to their routine. And Mum is ill - has lost half a stone (7lbs) in a week. So although they are happy that the delivery is here and assembled and all sorted, they are also grumpy and prone to complaining. Have helped shift things around and gave them back their change from last night and done some dusting.

Just have to remember not to take it personally. I'm a bit of a grumpy old woman myself these days, and I guess I would have been unsettled by a call an hour before I was expecting it too.

Shame, because I wanted to tell her all about last night in a real cosy mother-daughter chat thing, make it come alive for her. Still, my time will come. I'll find a relevant thread and tell y'all instead.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #3614
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Sundae, have they tested you for taxoplasmosis? Just wondering.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #3615
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

They've tested me for damn near everything I think.
I'll ask.

Mum has settled down a bit now.
The good thing is she knows she can depend on me. She said, "I should have asked you to go to the hospital with your father." Yes, she should have done - I didn't know he was going until after he had gone, he goes out every morning after all. And she wants me to go to the chemist for her later, as I did yesterday. I glory in these little things I can do.

Turns out she broke her glasses yesterday, so she can't read, use the internet or her Kindle, so no wonder she is grumpy - I would be too. I'm doing my best for her. When she can see again I'll show her the photos. We've now talked about the evening, I knew we would. Glad I didn't get all offended and stroppy. Am learning how to choose my time

Tags
dum, oh the whorror