The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-29-2005, 07:59 AM   #1
-[Stykz]-
Neophyte-in-training

Perfect positions

Gah. Ever been perched upon your chair, concealed wholly by a blanket? Or trying to?

It's rather nippy in my house, so I grab a blanket. But no matter what, the arm controlling the mouse betrays it all. What are some normal activities that require a special position to work properly?

Like... writing. While laying on your side. But you must support your head with your writing hand.
-[Stykz]- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #2
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

ah... I thought this was going to be a discussion about the pros & cons of the Missionary position. Sorry, wrong category.

When asked if he could 'do it all over again', Groucho Marx replied: Try more positions.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I have a tendency to work at my desk and computer while sitting forward on the edge of my chair. I don't know why, but I do. This leads to an unsupported and aching back, and a chronic pain in my left thigh from where it presses against the armrest support bar.

I'm hopeless.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:39 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I picked up the habit of tucking my right foot under my left leg while sitting in a easy chair watching TV, fom my Dad.
Do not do this!!!
He ended up having the knee replaced after years of suffering, whereas I broke the habit after about 10 years.
I still have one very screwed up right knee.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #5
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
I picked up the habit of tucking my right foot under my left leg while sitting in a easy chair watching TV, fom my Dad.
Do not do this!!!
(
Is it OK to tuck your left foot under your right leg while sitting in an office chair perusing bulletin boards? Because you caught me out. I keep trying to sit the other way or straight when I realise I'm doing it, but my body parts are in a conspiracy against my brain and they have more cells....
Old 01-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You have been warned, monster.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

I used to work with this guy that always had neck pain , I found out why one day , i went to his house to give him a hand with a celing fan , after we got finished he wanted to show me a few web sites , he had the BIG desk , and this SMALL short chair , he was looking up to his Puter like it was a GOD !!!!
I sat there surfing around for about 10 minets and my neck started hurting as well , then i got a couple of phone books to sit on , this brought the moneter to about face level , MUCH better !!! he tryed it as well , and said " well i wish i had tryed that befor that back surgery for pinched nerves !!!!"

Common sence people !!!
its called ERGONOMICS , or putting your body in a nuteral position .
Old 01-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I'll consider myself warned as well. Because that's exactly my posture right now, but at dining room chair/table. Spooky.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:23 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
I'll consider myself warned as well. Because that's exactly my posture right now, but at dining room chair/table. Spooky.
I am the ghost of future knee pain.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
busterb
NSABFD

Guess when your knees were shot before you ever had a job in a chair your safe. No way could I ever put my foot in same chair I'm setting in. Hell I have trouble just putting my foot in another chair to trim my toenails.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

Oh bugger, caught out again......

....and it's not like I haven't been to the physio twice in the last three years for back problems....
Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #12
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

How about right big toe under right front chair leg? For some reason I occasionally end up in that position.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
How about right big toe under right front chair leg? For some reason I occasionally end up in that position.
That is your subconscious. It wants to smash your big toe for being mean. To me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:30 PM   #14
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Goddamn toe. My subconscious also knocked off its nail when moving furniture once... Apparently it's a constant battle.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 02:43 PM   #15
mrnoodle
bent

I do the thing with the chair leg and my toe, too. I can't stand chairs that don't go back. I relish the feel of that moment when you're rocking on the back legs, let go and tip lightly back against the wall rather than go forward. It's almost Tourette's-like. It has to feel just right or I will keep tipping back till it does.

Then I'm fine, and can sit normally until the next tipping urge strikes. Weird, huh?