The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-09-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Car Insurance

Car insurance is a mine field of claims(no pun) and counterclaims. Whining idiots in ads that probably reflect how insurance companies actually feel about their customers, and hey-look-over-here distractions to keep you from knowing how they determine your rate.
Rate, why not say cost or price? They're rating you, handicapping you like a race horse.

I found a pdf from the Zebra.com and pulled some charts from it, but first ride share insurance.

Keep in mind theses are all averages, your rate will vary.

Like everything else, it's going up like a skirt over a subway vent.

But then so is your age.

And hopefully your credit rating. Credit rating, WTF?
However some states, especially CA, have outlawed using certain things like credit rating and how long you've had a policy, to set your rate. So if you live in one of those evil states the glorious free enterprise insurance companies are forced to charge you the highest rate.

Where you live matters...a lot, but those features the car builder raved about and you paid extra for, don't impress the insurers. They view them as more expensive to fix or replace.
Oh, and claims will boost your rate... duh.

You know all those red light and speed cameras that are bringing in millions of dollars for government and the camera companies? Peanuts, yes peanuts compared to what the insurance companies are reaping(raping?) from those cameras.

Of course what you drive matters too.

Of course a lot more comes into play if you're dealing with a local agent, like if he slept well, are his kids in collage, phase of the moon, and depth of cleavage.
Happy Motoring.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

Enough info, by god.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Great info! I'm paying insurance on cars for 2 daughters who have had wrecks. smh
Old 06-11-2019, 06:29 AM   #4
glatt

I had no idea Arlington was so cheap. It surprises me because traffic is heavy here.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

We got a peek into my in-laws financial lives the other day. 19 yo daughter 2 reported crashes multiple speeding tickets, 20 something boy 2 crashes, and a teen boy with a permit... seriously take a driving course or take the keys.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Time to disown those kids, at least make them pay their own way.

The original pdf had about 50 damn chart/graffs, but a lot of them were things that affected your insurance rate but worst case a dozen bucks a year. That only adds up to something significant if you're an insurance company.
Old 06-11-2019, 06:10 PM   #7
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

I just renewed my driver's license online. I'm all set to terrorize people on the road again for another 4 years. USAA still gives me low insurance rates though 'cause I don't get caught (that combat driving course I took comes in handy).
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

The last full coverage auto insurance policy I had cost me 280 bucks every six months ('95 S-10 in '95-'97).

I did not complain.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:04 AM   #9
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

It's interesting to compare UK car insurance premiums with the US.

I received a renewal notice for my insurance on Friday.

Next year's premium will be £250 for fully comprehensive insurance, ie third party liability and repairs to my vehicle if damaged in an accident.

To be realistic the car (1992) is worth £0, so just the third party insurance would probably be adequate but it's doubtful that the premium would be reduced by very much.

My declared estimated annual mileage is 5,000 so that will have helped to keep costs down but I actually only do about 1,000.

Last year's premium was £226, so a 10%+ increase.

Heaven knows what I'd pay if I had a half decent newish car.

BTW £1.00 = $1.26

Last edited by Carruthers; 06-16-2019 at 05:26 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
BTW £1.00 = $1.26
Did not realize the British pound had drop so low. Normally its about $1.50 or $1.60 per dollar. But then I guess that is expected given the last three years of irresponsible leadership. And so many companies making plans to leave or move most operations out of the UK.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:24 PM   #11
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
But then I guess that is expected given the last three years of irresponsible leadership.
...as compared to the US during that same time frame
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 AM   #12
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
...as compared to the US during that same time frame
Things that Trump is doing to successfully create a recession will not be observed in the economy for many years. How many years did it take the George Jr tax cuts and other economic mismanagement to finally recreate the 2007 recession?

Same is happening in the UK. Brexit will not be economically destructive for many years. But currency traders are speculating on how severe that Brexit damage will be. It will create an economic recession. No doubt about that. The only question is how severe. I am surprised that currency traders already see things that bad this much in advance.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I see. Currency changes take place immediately while other market forces take a very long time.

On the record.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Ooh, followup question...

Why don't the market traders just follow the currency traders?
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Why don't the market traders just follow the currency traders?
Never confuse what happens in an economy with what traders do. single transaction prices change daily or weekly. Economy changes take years.

Currency traders demonstrate a belief that the UK economy, many years from now, will be harmed that much. That is their immediate feelings / speculation. Many years later, we will see what happens.

Returning to the point. Did not realize currency traders believe Brexit will be that much worse. In the past three years with Brexit nonsense, the pound has taken a massive reduction in currency markets. As usual, economic conditions being predicted (speculated) today will occur many years from now.

Damage that Brexit will create has hardly begun. Nothing has yet changed in the economy. And will not until after October. Or earlier if companies (ie Toyota) pull out faster.

So how bad will that damage be? Currency traders are speculating today that damage many years from now will be that bad.

What other market traders are we talking about? Big companies are simply moving operations to other nations. As Toyota will do. As all major banks now have plans to do. To move to Ireland, Belgium, Paris, and Frankfort - to nations that want productive businesses. They will remain profitable.

In four years, effects should be obvious in the market for jobs. That market has always been a lagging indicator.

One market that may report economic damage sooner is London real estate. How quick? Many such contracts remain in force for many years. The resulting downturn would be apparent when those leases expire.

Will car insurance increase? Can't say. Yes because parts will have tariffs attached. No because labor remains local with more unemployed workers. Different markets will respond differently.

Last edited by tw; 06-17-2019 at 09:33 AM.