The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #4381
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Thanks, I'm good. I trust my ophthalmologist & retina doc.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #4382
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

no prob. Good luck with everything.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #4383
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Today, yesterday and Wednesday. I'd done the usual bi-weekly filing for unemployment earlier in the week, then checked my bank balance on Wednesday to make sure the funds were in there before paying some bills...but they weren't.

Started to call the UC info line, but it was an hour wait so I thought, maybe it's just late and it will show up later today, or tomorrow morning.

I should have stayed on the line...grrrr.

Still nothing in there on Thursday, so I called back and endured the wait. Turns out, because I'd been able to get one full week of temp work the month before, they'd somehow determined that I now had a full-time job. Despite there being weeks between then and now that I didn't get to work full-time, or at all. So, even though it was indicated that my claim was accepted, the payment was not released.

After I explained on the phone that I have been doing temp work while I search for a job, all was fine and they released the funds to the direct deposit center right then and there. Yay. Except that it takes a couple of business days to process, and won't make it to my account until Monday. Boo.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #4384
Nirvana
Back in 10

stinging nettles

>whine<
Old 05-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #4385
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

Have to fill out an application form for a job which would drive me to a nervous breakdown if I got it - just like my last one did. Otherwise no govt money for me. The Job Centre tell basically everyone who walks through the door to apply for the same positions... talk about an over-fished pond. Therefore I won't get it, so it's cool. It's just kind of a waste of my time.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #4386
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana View Post
stinging nettles

>whine<
While they are prickly to harvest, they are delicious, you know.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #4387
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

2 days of work before vacation next Thursday...
Old 05-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #4388
sad_winslow
Big McLargeHuge

I was mildly irritated by two things today because I'm all uptight stress unreasonably unbalanced and generally kablooey at finals time:

The first was gossiping wait staff at a restaurant. A couple of employees were gabbing near the top of their lungs at the waiter-box like ten feet behind my head. Talking at work is cool and all, but, uh, can you tone it down some? Like a lot? Cause it's a little empty in this section here and your voice is fucking carrying like mad. I don't wanna be "that guy", but sometimes, native spanish speakers seem to assume that if you're not hispanic you don't understand (I'm not, and I do), and if you don't understand, you won't actually *hear* the noise so it's ok to go at the top of your lungs. Ladies, I heard every word of your banal conversation. They could probably hear it down the street. Which is probably why the boss came over and (relatively politely) chastized you for loitering and sent you to the back where they were swamped with work while you were gabbing. Thanks boss!

Later I got all cross as I stopped in a gas station to make a single quick purchase. There was one dude buying a mass quantity of crap beer and having some problems with lotto tickets or something, and one guy raced to get in line in front of me with some oil - but it also turns out he needed a refund on a prepaid pump or some such crap. The clerk was not prepared to deal with either of these fools, leaving me stuck waiting in a grody little gas station that I normally don't visit anyways. I waited patiently for a while, but after some discussion between the three of them on whose tasks will take less time and who should go first I just said fuck it and walked out, as I had far more important things to do and my purchase could be made later.

I went and slugged some crappy coffee and hit the books til my back started hurting and came home to be pissy on the internet. Hooray!
sad_winslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #4389
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
Today, yesterday and Wednesday. I'd done the usual bi-weekly filing for unemployment earlier in the week, then checked my bank balance on Wednesday to make sure the funds were in there before paying some bills...but they weren't.
Strangely, the process was one hell of a lot easier before they went to all this online shit. You walked into the office, stood behind the white line, looked mildly contrite, signed a log, and left.

Also, you didn't have to pay taxes on the UC back than, which I found REALLY annoying. Don't they know that I really needed that money? How was I supposed to pay the crack bill?

The bit that freaked me out the most was that after I WAS employed, they found new and interesting ways to screw things up, including sending me a notice that my claim for unemployment from the job at the rehab was being denied because I didn't work enough weeks after being employed before becoming unemployed again. WTF?

So I did the best thing I could under the circumstances. Ignored the whole effin' thing.

Oh, and my hold record for a UC drone was 2+ hours.

Headsets are essential.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #4390
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflare View Post
Have to fill out an application form for a job which would drive me to a nervous breakdown if I got it - just like my last one did. Otherwise no govt money for me. The Job Centre tell basically everyone who walks through the door to apply for the same positions... talk about an over-fished pond. Therefore I won't get it, so it's cool. It's just kind of a waste of my time.
In my bit of the U.S. we have to apply for three jobs a week while on unemployment. And keep documentation of all your attempts. I don't even balance my own checkbook and they want me to keep documentation?

This resulted in my applying for a whole lot of really stupid ass jobs that I was fearful that I might get offered. I did not want to be a website marketing editor (okay, I might have actually had fun with that, but I doubt they would have paid much), or a series of demeaning temp jobs (odd, it was a temp agency in my field and I never heard back from them at all ... and it wasn't one of those fly-by-night steal your identity scam places, it was an agency I knew of), or being a registrar at a really shitty "college" (as seen on TV, you know, one of those), or ... I hadn't gotten to the point of trying for anything involving manual labor, although I did sink to the level of food service, because it was a career fair, and one half-hour of my time fulfilled the requirement for the week.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 05-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #4391
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Summer is coming, which, in the U.S., means the opening of pool season. My apt has a pool. Instead of just giving us the pool tags, we have to go over to the office to get them.

But the office doesn't handle it. I have repeatedly tried to make arrangements to pick up my pool tags at a time other than the "official" ones, because the hours are always at night. No daytime hours.

guess what, peeps. I work nights. I cannot leave work. I cannot take off work in order to come pick up a laminated piece of cardboard on a pin. I'm saving lives here, you're passing out pool tags. I outrank you.

Well, every year, I have had to conscript a neighbor into picking up my pool tags. I haven't seen any of my neighbors this past week to ask them if they'd do it for me.

Luckily, because I worked the weekend, I had today off, so I was able to get over to pick up the tags. Or, as it turned out, tag.

When I get there, they are savaging a deaf man because they are unable to figure out what he is saying ... he didn't voice well, and they were just plain stupid, but I waited.

I hand over my paperwork.

drone: there are two names here but only one signature on the form.

wolf: it is difficult to get the deceased to sign things.

drone: then why are there two names here on my sheet?

wolf: I really couldn't tell you.

WTF? A simple platitude of sympathy would have suffiiced.

And so, I only got one pool tag. Every other non-momwolf year, I've gotten two tags.

I have more than one swimsuit, and can't guarantee that I'll remember to move the tag, you know?

Chances are I won't even set foot in the pool, but I have the tag, just in case.

Oh, and I can't use my two courtesy guest passes unless I am actually present with my guest.

They couldnt' figure out that the deaf guy had to sign his form along with his not dead mother, either. He was still there after I left.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #4392
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh, hell, I forgot what I actually wanted to post about ... lot of irritation going around.

Must be prickly heat.

So, anyway ... why won't my public library website remember my frickin' library card number. I can't remember it ... it's like 16 or 20 digits long! And it's not like I also have to remember a stinkin' password ... just select my branch, put in the card number, and it goes right to the online services where I can check out an ebook and send it to my Kindle. Content, incidentally, that pays attention to it's "return" date and deletes itself off the device whether I'm done with it or not. It's not like walking into the library and checking out a bunch of books that I have no intention of returning, and maybe I'll sell them for crack (which does happen at my branch, incidentally) ... it's data.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #4393
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Allergies. AND it's gonna be 90 here today.

What global warming?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:51 AM   #4394
Blueflare
Hand-of-Kindness Extender

It's too warm. And I'm not someone who's been complaining about the cold and is never satisfied with any weather... I would love to have the coldness back! I already have heat rash and it's only, what, 22'c?! Why do I fail so badly at being a human?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:22 PM   #4395
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

because you're British, babe:p
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar