The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #1321
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  hall.JPG
Views: 472
Size:  29.2 KB

Rick Hall, owner/operator of FAME Studios (FAME's house band were The Swampers, they've been known to pick a song or two) in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, developer of "the Muscle Shoals sound", died on January 2.

Fuck cancer.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:01 AM   #1322
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

John Young, NASA astronaut.

Young flew on six space missions in the Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle programs.
He was the ninth of twelve astronauts to walk on the moon when he commanded Apollo 16.
And I bet he could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

RIP, sir.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #1323
Griff
still says videotape

Two gentlemen who counted.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:52 PM   #1324
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Jerry Van Dyke was 86.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #1325
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
John Young, NASA astronaut.

Young flew on six space missions in the Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle programs.
He was the ninth of twelve astronauts to walk on the moon when he commanded Apollo 16.
And I bet he could leap tall buildings in a single bound.

RIP, sir.
Astronaut for 42 years. Piloted and commanded 4 different classes of space craft (Gemini, the Apollo Command/Service Module, the Apollo Lunar Module, and the Space Shuttle).

Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 PM   #1326
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Anna May Hayes

Name:  amh.JPG
Views: 396
Size:  25.4 KB

1st woman in US Armed Forces promoted to a general officer rank. On June 11, 1970 Hayes became a brigadier general.

She died on January 7, age 97.

That's a pretty good run.

She coulda been buried in Arlington, but chose to be buried with her father.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #1327
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Motörhead is dead.

Eddie Clark, guitarist for Fastway & Motörhead, and last surviving member of the original Motörhead line up, died yesterday, at age 67.

Complications of pneumonia.

Quote:
Do it now. Listen to Ace Of Spades for 3,725th time. It’s still fucking amazing, isn’t it?
~TeamRock

Old 01-12-2018, 06:19 AM   #1328
Griff
still says videotape

Old 01-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #1329
monster
I hear them call the tide

Bella Emburg was the first person I really remember embracing her big and having fun with it rather than being ashamed. hadn't though about her for years, hope she had fun after her stint in the public eye -I bet she did! Hated Russ Abbot, but she was a card.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 AM   #1330
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly

His isn't a household name, but I remember him being interviewed in the Falklands after the Argentinian surrender.

This extract from his obituary gives an indication of his character.

Quote:
Jolly’s first personal act of bravery during the war came after the frigate Ardent had been hit by bombs in Grantham Sound on the afternoon of May 21. He was scrambled in a Wessex helicopter to help search for casualties on the water, and as they hovered close to the burning ship, through the plumes of thick, black smoke which towered into the sky, he saw a man struggling to stay afloat.

“It was clear he wasn’t going to survive for too much longer,” Jolly recalled. “I didn’t have my immersion suit on. Apart from my uniform, the only extra bits of kit were a pair of gloves and a thin life jacket; I hadn’t intended to go for a swim. Suddenly everything went quiet, as your body does when it prepares itself for serious demand. I just remember thinking: if I don’t act now this man will die …

“I dropped into the ocean, which was freezing: barely two degrees. My heart slowed down and my vision changed like I was in a tunnel. I bear-hugged him and before I knew it we were back in the helicopter cabin. I literally jumped on the sailor and he vomited up all the seawater. He was alive. I was exhausted.”

No sooner had Jolly caught his breath, than the Royal Marines aircrew-man in the helicopter cabin pointed down. Jolly knew what he meant, and taking a deep breath, prepared himself for the second plunge.

“I dropped into the water but I was too weak to lift the casualty. He was in a terrible state, with a huge gash in his head and blood all over his face. I submerged and placed a hook through his life jacket. He was in such a bad state, I’m not even sure he was aware he’d been saved. Even now, that whole experience fills me with the deepest spiritual sense of pride.” The second sailor also survived.
Link

The above link is behind a paywall. The obit is well worth reading, but if it remains out of reach try the BBC report.

Last edited by Carruthers; 01-15-2018 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Info re link
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:04 PM   #1331
Griff
still says videotape

Dolores O'Riordan singer for the Cranberries has died at 46. bummer
Old 01-15-2018, 01:40 PM   #1332
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Re: Captain Jolly...

Quote:
...decorated by both the British and Argentine governments for his distinguished conduct...
~Wiki

Old 01-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #1333
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Dolores O'Riordan singer for the Cranberries has died at 46. bummer
Well, dammit. That's no age to die.

She was hot, too.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #1334
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Auto racing pioneer/god Dan Gurney died on Jan 14, 2018.

Name:  dg.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  47.7 KB

Daniel Sexton Gurney was 86. Cause of death was pneumonia.

Really good article on his career here.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #1335
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I've still got my charter member shirt from the sixties.
Attached Images

Tags
bought the farm, dead not loved, famous corpses, karked it, kicked the bucket, pining for the fjords, pushing up the daisies, roadkill, sleeps with the fishes, taking a dirt nap, the dead zone, worm food