The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 11-02-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
lhatcher
Go, you might meet someone

Can anyone explain tailgating?

No, not a party in a parking lot. I mean trying your best to drive up someone's tailpipe.
I don't understand why so many people insist on driving as close as possible to the back of my car. I'm not asking you to slow down, but since you can't drive faster than me.. can't you go the same speed further back?
So is there an intended message? Are you trying to get me to speed up? Do you even realize you're dangerously close?
Why does tapping the brakes make some people move in even closer?
I just don't understand
Old 11-02-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
Flint
Snowflake

Some people haven't figured out that you can't go faster than the car in front of you. Why do they have to do it right behind you? Simple: they are "getting there faster" (actually about .025 seconds faster, if you measured them passing a fixed point, from both positions).
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

I love tailgaters - I slowly decrease my speed until they get annoyed and go into another lane. What really gets me is when they ride your ass when the passing lane is wide open?????
How bout the pepole who talk on their phone, eat, read or put on makeup while driving.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 AM   #4
glatt

Sometimes you see them from the side of the road. There will be a long empty stretch of road, and then a car comes by with another car right on its ass, followed by a long empty stretch again. You just have to shake your head and laugh. Morons.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Flint
Snowflake

When driving across town at a high-traffic time of day, I notice the worst-behaved driver and study their technique. The tailgating, the constant lane-switching, the perpetual cycle of accelerating and brake-slamming. What I've observed is that, without fail, at the other side of town, all of their efforts have caused them to be many *car lengths behind me, when all I've done is drive respectfully in one lane.

I attribute this to what I call "selling low" in traffic. Think of the stock market: you "buy low" and "sell high" in order to maximize profits. In traffic, if you wait until something bad happens before changing lanes, you never see the "high" side of that lane. By "selling low" these spastic drivers are guaranteed to experience the worst conditions possible. And, they waste alot of gas.

*(Incidentally, these "car lengths" translate to almost nothing as a measurement of time...)

Old 11-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #6
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
There will be a long empty stretch of road, and then a car comes by with another car right on its ass, followed by a long empty stretch again.
I think alot of drivers only ever look about 10 feet ahead. That long stretch of road, just on the other side of that car, is "invisible" to them.

Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 AM   #7
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Why is this thread in "relationships". Makes me think you mean another kind of tail gating.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Ironically, cars with advanced safety features such as anti-lock brakes and stability control then get into more crashes. As one van driver noted, the car behind her smashed into the back. Then the driver complained that his anti-lock brakes failed to stop him fast enough.

Recently ran across three cars all smashed into one another. They were all blaming the fourth car that had slowed down and made a right turn into a driveway. Not one of them bothered to blame themselves as I explained to each that if you hit the car in front, then you are 100% responsible. Later the cop had to explain it again to each. They insisted it was the fault of the right turning driver - not their tailgating.

Again, stats show that cars with anti-lock brakes do more rear crashing. But then you see that with SUVs driving down an iced road at excessive speed. They are in an SUV. Therefore they can drive faster on ice. Yes, that constitutes logic to so many.

If he tailgates, then you slow down excessively before making a turn. When he tailgates, do everything possible to maximize your safety at his expense.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet
Why is this thread in "relationships". Makes me think you mean another kind of tail gating.
Me, too.

I have noticed many of these tailgaters are teenagers. Now, I love teenagers and actually have two in captivity myself, but I DO fear their driving-around skills. They are very casual about the laws of physics and probability. Very casual. They, the inmates, claim my fault lies in my handicap of MotherNess. In the spirit of Mom-ness I have done two things which I swore-to myself-never to do: #1) I've actually said these words: "your music sounds all the same!" AND #2) stomped on the imaginary brake on the passengers side of the car as my gorgeous 16 year-old passed a semi on a country road and nearly wiped us both off the face of the planet. I wouldn't have cared for my own life, being as how I've cheated death lo these many years, but I did care about my son.

What to do?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #10
mrnoodle
bent

nothing to add, except, when did you change your title to "Mrs. Booberman"? Everyone is comedy gold this morning.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
nothing to add, except, when did you change your title to "Mrs. Booberman"? Everyone is comedy gold this morning.
Lumberjim gave it to me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 11-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

"gave"?! It was an "exchange" and you, comedy gold notwithstanding, were robbed.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
"gave"?! It was an "exchange" and you, comedy gold notwithstanding, were robbed.
Should I sue?

—James Barrie

Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 AM   #14
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Would it involve the introduction of more evidence?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:50 AM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV
Would it involve the introduction of more evidence?
Are you a lawyer?

—James Barrie