The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 04-29-2011, 11:20 AM   #541
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I've never thought you had a Taipei personality.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #542
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ibram--

Kaoliang? Is that right? I'm curious, what does it taste like?
Old 04-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #543
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

If it's anything like kaolin and morphine it tastes like liquorice and makes me vom.
Then again I have an allergy to codeine (morphine derivative) which may actually be at the root of my severe dislike for anything aniseed.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #544
Ibby
erika

no, gaoliang (or kaoliang or kao-li'ang or any of the other ways they spell it) is not, unfortunately, a narcotic, nor does it contain any narcotic derivatives.
And V - it's, well, nasty. there's a reason sorghum is almost exclusively used as animal feed rather than as food, for, well, humans. I don't really know how to describe the flavour, frankly. it's got the kick and bite and burn one would expect from grain spirits, but a truly wretched aftertaste that's... slightly sweet, but in a sickly stomach-turning way. thats the closest i can come to describing it, honestly. I have nothing else in my worldly experience to compare the taste to. I don't recommend trying it, but on the other hand, in Taiwan, it's just about the cheapest alcohol one can buy (five bucks or so for a (particularly distasteful and cheap) bottle of relatively standard size, 750ml or so), and comes in 38% ABV and 58% ABV (so 76 and 116 proof respectively) and so is the most disgusting but also most economical method of getting one's self well and properly drunk on a budget. I try to avoid it when I can, but the selection at 7-11 and the other convenience stores in the area tends to be limited to gaoliang, whisk(e)y, and sake or shochu, and frankly gaoliang is the least repulsive of the three in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #545
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram View Post
no, gaoliang (or kaoliang or kao-li'ang or any of the other ways they spell it) is not, unfortunately, a narcotic, nor does it contain any narcotic derivatives.
And V - it's, well, nasty. there's a reason sorghum is almost exclusively used as animal feed rather than as food, for, well, humans. I don't really know how to describe the flavour, frankly. it's got the kick and bite and burn one would expect from grain spirits, but a truly wretched aftertaste that's... slightly sweet, but in a sickly stomach-turning way. thats the closest i can come to describing it, honestly. I have nothing else in my worldly experience to compare the taste to. I don't recommend trying it, but on the other hand, in Taiwan, it's just about the cheapest alcohol one can buy (five bucks or so for a (particularly distasteful and cheap) bottle of relatively standard size, 750ml or so), and comes in 38% ABV and 58% ABV (so 76 and 116 proof respectively) and so is the most disgusting but also most economical method of getting one's self well and properly drunk on a budget. I try to avoid it when I can, but the selection at 7-11 and the other convenience stores in the area tends to be limited to gaoliang, whisk(e)y, and sake or shochu, and frankly gaoliang is the least repulsive of the three in my opinion.
Will you bring me a bottle when you return to Bennington? With a description like that, my morbid curiosity compels me to try it.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 PM   #546
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Look after yourself Ibram.
The majority of things you experience now are actually positive influences. Even if it's just to reinforce a belief that they are negative.

You seem troubled.
This too will pass. And in the Cellar we know you and still love you.
No, we don't know everything, but we're pretty damn accepting.
If things get really grim, try us.

If we'd offer you couch surfing or a hot meal, you can bet we'll try to listen.
And the fact some of us are old shits means we've been there, seen it, puked the biscuit.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #547
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
The majority of things you experience now are actually positive influences. Even if it's just to reinforce a belief that they are negative.

You seem troubled.

And the fact some of us are old shits means we've been there, seen it, puked the biscuit.
I missed something. Ibram seems normal to me, just as normal as I was at his age, at any rate. I have it on good authority that "he is a sweetie." I won't reveal my sources, but have gotten consistent reports about this.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #548
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Yeah on second thought, you may want to look out for yourself Ibram if you don't want to end up like me...
Old 04-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #549
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
I missed something. Ibram seems normal to me, just as normal as I was at his age, at any rate. I have it on good authority that "he is a sweetie." I won't reveal my sources, but have gotten consistent reports about this.
cite!

infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #550
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Like I said I won't reveal my sources, but they are well informed.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #551
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3foot
Will you bring me a bottle when you return to Bennington? With a description like that, my morbid curiosity compels me to try it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post

You seem troubled.

Ibram,

1 -- thank you for the reply. most informative. Like footfootfoot, I, too, feel a desire to taste the stuff.

2 -- you can stay here anytime you're in the area.

Yours,
Old 04-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #552
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Like I said I won't reveal my sources, but they are well informed.
whoa, now. you've got sources? giving you reports?
okay i kinda legit deserve to hear about this. PM me?
Old 04-29-2011, 06:32 PM   #553
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibram
there's a reason sorghum is almost exclusively used as animal feed rather than as food, for, well, humans.
Hey now! Sorghum alcohol may be for shit, but finely ground sorghum flour makes a worthwhile bread loaf. Tastes a fuckton better than amaranth, believe you me.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #554
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Good Sake rocks.... That is all.

My most memorable Sake experience was when we hosted a large rugby club from Nippon in Hawaii. There were at least 40 or 50 people, which included spouses and children. Of all of those people were about 3 who could speak a tiny bit of English. We had a memorable match, but that is another story, and afterwards my wife loaded as many of them into our VW Vanagon and her Open top CJ-7 and drove to the party. Well the principles showed up with 3 kegs of sake. Not little things, these were like 50 gallon barrels. They had elaborate speeches, all in Japanese, so of course we had no freaking clue what they were saying but I am sure it was all good because we were showing them a grand time. They were dressed in these elaborate outfits, and cracked open the Sake kegs with big wooden mallets. Then they passed out these square wooden cups, which I still have, and we were all ladled out gobs of Sake which we drank until we were sufficiently trashed. Great experience. We had a great time with that bunch and still couldn't really talk with each other.

Many years later, 2 years ago, we had three visiting Japanese Rugby Refs come over on an exchange. We took great care of them and I am sure did more for our relations than Bush ever did after he threw up in the Presidents lap.

Last edited by TheMercenary; 04-29-2011 at 07:36 PM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:29 PM   #555
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Indeed, good sake is very good. Cheap sake should be used for cleaning windows.