The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 03-13-2008, 01:19 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

What do you do when...

you have a crush on a straight, slightly homophobic, taken senior who's way out of your league (his daddy's a rockstar) even if he WASNT all those things?
(answer: probably NOT go on a trip to London with him in less than two weeks, I think)
Old 03-13-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
Bullitt
This is a fully functional babe lair

Probably would want to avoid sharing a hotel room on said trip.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:16 AM   #3
NoBoxes

DEFINITELY go to London! Social barriers often come down away from home. If the opportunity arises for you to express yourself, be discretely candid. That way, what happens in London will stay in London if that person has any character at all yet doesn't reciprocate. Nothing ventured ... etc.

How good of a judge of character are you?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #4
Ibby
erika

well, going to london is pretty much a sure thing anyway... its just probably not exactly the ideal thing to do, in this situation.
i dunno though, we're okay good friends. we're actually playing a gig together tomorrow night, and i might be casting him in a play i'm directing in May (and he may cast me in his, i dunno).
I don't wanna tell him how I feel though. If he figures it out... well, i can't help that. But i'm not going to tell him. He'd be weirded out. Not like, disgusted or anything, but definitely weirded out. And he's like seriously in love with his girlfriend (and theyre really cute together, too... he's really sweet to her), I wouldnt want to get in the way of that even if i could.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

It is always prudent not to share your feelings with people who are happily taken. It only makes things awkward.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #6
lookout123
changed his status to single

What Clodfobble said. If he's taken, gay, straight, or bi you'll only create awkwardness for you both. If you value him as a platonic friend at this point then don't mess with that. Crushes come and go, no harm no foul. But (no offense intended) high school guys aren't well known for handling awkard new situations with grace, the guy would probably not know how to deal with it if you laid your cards on the table.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Ibby
erika

yeah, and um i already agreed. I dont wanna tell him.
any advice for what i... should do maybe?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:57 AM   #8
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

you agreed to go to london?
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:58 AM   #9
lookout123

Put an ice pack on it and deal with your unrequited love. The crush will come and go. If it is more than a crush then you'll have plenty of time to do something about it in the future. Don't risk the heartache of ruining your London trip and the rest of your school year (plays) by trying to create something out of nothing. The dude has a girlfriend he's into. He is, at least at this point, outwardly homophobic. There is less than a 1% chance of him dropping the girl in your favor and 99% chance of souring friendships for you.

Unfortunately for your feelings this is one of those situations in life where doing nothing is the only thing to do.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #10
Ibby
erika

bri: yeah, ive been in on the trip since like... september? october? its a theatre trip with like 20 of us plus the theatre teacher here (and the choreographer/co-director of the musical we did in the fall), and he's going on it too.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Ibby
erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Put an ice pack on it and deal with your unrequited love. The crush will come and go. If it is more than a crush then you'll have plenty of time to do something about it in the future. Don't risk the heartache of ruining your London trip and the rest of your school year (plays) by trying to create something out of nothing. The dude has a girlfriend he's into. He is, at least at this point, outwardly homophobic. There is less than a 1% chance of him dropping the girl in your favor and 99% chance of souring friendships for you.

Unfortunately for your feelings this is one of those situations in life where doing nothing is the only thing to do.
yeah, no, i'm totally with you on this one. i'm definitely not going to do anything about it in relation to him.
i more meant... any ideas for how to um, soften it a little bit while i wait it out?

really right now its not so bad. he's just such a nice guy, its really kind of nice (and definitely a lot better than this whole caro deal... im so ready for that to be over, for better or worse) the only real time it gets to me is when i see him with his girl.
but i'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, cause i know its coming. and its gonna hurt.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

In my experience there is nothing you can do about a crush other that tough it out in public and swoon about it in private. I used to kiss my crush's listing in the phone book, hmmmmm....

I find it helps if you have someone you can obsess about him with. Got a close friend who can keep a secret?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM   #13
lookout123

Either that or convice his girlfriend that MMF threesomes are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I jest. Don't go that route dude.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Either that or convice his girlfriend that MMF threesomes are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
I have a guidebook on how to make threesomes happen (in any combination) - it will become your new bible.

At just the right moment, go for the kill. It'll be like the ending of Y Tu Mama Tambien (sp?).
Old 03-13-2008, 09:28 PM   #15
monster
I hear them call the tide

You do exactly what you are doing.

Recognise it's a crush, pour your heart out to your friends who would/could never betray you to him, then dry your eyes and get on with it.