The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-20-2006, 09:09 AM   #1
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

Do car-sharing schemes work in the States?

Our government has just agreed to a car-sharing lane scheme in the north of England, arguing that these have proved successful in the USA.

Is that true?
Old 03-20-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Only if you're a city-dwelling hippie and nobody else in your group wants the car on Tuesday.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I don't have personal experience but a couple people I know who are in this one think it's great.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I think he's talking about commuter lanes. They have them in Seattle. Do they actually encourage people to car-pool? I don't think so. But if you are the sort to car-pool it really cuts down on the drive time.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Oh yeah, I could actually look at the link next time. I dunno.. there aren't a lot where I drive. Although there is a lane restricted for buses on Chestnut Street in Center City, which people seem to ignore fairly often.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:08 AM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Shows me I should read the article rather than commenting on what I think the post is about.

HOV lanes are either a blessing or a curse, depending upon how many people you have in the car.

I've never car-pooled. I either didn't have enough co-workers in the company fow which I was working , or nobody lived out my way. I don't think there are any car pool lanes/routes here in the Phila. area. I only see them when I drive through New York City, and down towards D.C.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #7
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
...... in the north of England, arguing that these have proved successful in the USA.
That depends on your definition of "successful".

It seems to me that these lanes are in the Hartford, Ct. area on highway 84 outside the metro areas. IIRC there were times during heavy traffic that one would see one car using this lane just blasting up the highway laughing and mocking the slower moving traffic. They also seemed to run quite a distance away from Hartford.

You dont think about using that lane until you're stuck in traffic alone and you see someone whiz by. The lane is normally clear so in that moment that you think "wow, if I had someone else with me I could be moving right now instead of parking" that car is long gone.

Last edited by slang; 03-20-2006 at 10:48 AM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
glatt

Here in the DC area, they are everywhere. I don't drive my car during rush hour, so I can't comment on them first hand.

But that won't stop me from posting.

As Wolf says, HOV lanes are awesome if you have a full car and can take one. They generally move without congestion.

We also have informal lines of people, called slugs, who line up at central locations downtown and ride with random strangers who pull up to the curb and drive them to their drop off point in the suburbs. That allows the single driver to use the HOV lanes by picking up living breathing human bodies before they get to the HOV lanes. The slugs get a free ride most of the way into town in the morning, and a free ride most of the way home at night. It's a win win situation. I'm amazed that nobody has been raped or murdered by crazies. It seems to work extremely well.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:15 AM   #9
Cyclefrance
Pump my ride!

So nobody is making a killing selling inflatable passengers then....?

PS - apologies for the bad thread title - should have included the word 'lanes' there as well.

Last edited by Cyclefrance; 03-20-2006 at 11:19 AM.
Cyclefrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I also commute in the DC area which, as glatt indicates, has made heavy use of HOV (high-occupancy vehicle) lanes. Some lanes require 3 occupants per vehicle and some only require 2 occupants.

I do not believe they work. Let's take 395 in Virginia as an example. Highway 395 runs from basically the White House in the center of DC to points south. 395 is broken into 3 sections: a Northbound lane (2-4 lanes) that anyone can use, a Southbound lane (3-4 lanes) that anyone can use and a center, reversable lane (2 lanes) that is HOV northbound from 6am to 9am and southbound from 3pm to 6pm. Outside the HOV hours, anyone can use the HOV lanes which flips direction at noon and midnight.

While HOV may in fact produce the result of "fewer cars on the road" and thereby "prove" that the goal of reducing congestion is met but I would counter that the average commute time across all drivers (HOV and non-HOV) actually increases which more than offsets the "feel good" metric of reduced congestion.

The problem is that not enough people, for whatever reason, use it. So while 10-15% of folks get home 30% faster, the other 85% of drivers' commute time increases by the same proportion resulting in longer commutes, more fuel consumption and more pollution than if the HOV lanes were opened to all drivers and the traffic could adjust between the lanes to achieve the most effective distribution of cars between HOV and non-HOV lanes.

The HOV lanes on 395 are grossly underused (the 3 people per car makes it very difficult to qualify for) and, during either rush hour, the non-HOV lanes are a parking lot and the HOV lanes are full of tumbleweeds. I usually stay late at work to time reaching the HOV entrance at 5:55 pm when the HOV is lifted because no one is on it at that time.

But no government official will speak out against HOV because the money to build HOV lanes is a gift from the Federal government to the states in exchange for enforcing HOV. So the states couldn't care less if it works or not because they need the money to build new roads. So no one at the state level will acknowledge the problem HOV creates lest they risk being cut off from the Federal money.

Now, I only know about the HOV lanes in my experience so there may be cases where it works very well. I just don't think the blanket statement that "it works great in the US" is really true. The government might think it works great but no one is asking the drivers who have to live with traffic decisions made by people who are driven to work in limousines.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclefrance
So nobody is making a killing selling inflatable passengers then....?
And do they charge extra for the anatomically correct ones?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The HOV lane s around Hartford, CT, are ok during rush hours but off peak they should be avoided. Invariably you'll get stuck behind someone doing slightly less than the speed limit, while the non-HOV lanes are running 10, 20 and 30mph over.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:59 AM   #13
Rock Steady
Day Tripper

The HOV lanes take train passangers and make them car poolers. Doesn't help.

CA did something really dumb: hybrids can now use HOV with one passenger. dumb.

I can almost always avoid rush hour.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Steady
CA did something really dumb: hybrids can now use HOV with one passenger. dumb.
Virginia did the same thing. Then they had to cut new license plates to issue to the hybrids. Now, when the cops see a one-person car in HOV they have to first look at the plates to see if they should chase them or not. The cops are getting tired of all this crap. Dumb is too polite.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:50 AM   #15
farfromhome
Management Consultant

I've never car-pooled. I either didn't have enough co-workers in the company fow which I was working , or nobody lived out my way. I don't think there are any car pool lanes/routes here in the Phila. area. I only see them when I drive through New York City, and down towards D.C.[/quote]

This is just a mean thought. Maybe nobody wants to carpool with you. I think I could have a lively commute with you for a day or two. But I don't want to die. And I know you'd be packing.