The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #16
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingnews
Well, when my dad is breaking my balls, we'll see who gets the last laugh.
Best defense is a good offense. If B-school is not for you, then something else better be. Can they really argue is you are studying to be a concert pianist or a pilot? Having a different objective would (might) silence the criticism.

Obviously above is not a short term solution to getting caught lying.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #17
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

yeah! a fellow liar! if I tell my parents the truth I'm being disrespectful, if I don't then I'm not trustworthy, if I don't tell them anything I'm disrespectful, untrustworthy, hate them, and I am doing drugs.
When you know you're about to get caught its best if you come clean before hand w/ a really good explanation. But if you get caught have an explanation and sob story ready.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 AM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Have you seen the Ang Lee film The Wedding Banquet? Compared to the guy in the movie, you have it pretty easy. Unless you've also not told your folks that you are gay and living with a white male physical therapist.

What's really your worst case scenario if you tell your folks you don't want to go to school for the MBA? Is there something else that you could do that you would enjoy while appearing to satisfy their need to micromanage you?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 01:35 AM   #19
breakingnews
Q_Q

Yeah, the situation is nowhere near what they go through in The Wedding Banquet. Actually, I wish it were - maybe I could script it and make a major motion picture.

I've already told my parents numerous times that I don't want to get an MBA, and that if I did, I'd want to go to a more specialized program. But nothing I say will change their minds. Like I said, this is a non-issue.

That doesn't mean they're completely heartless. I can do whatever I want to do, and as long as I do it well, my parents will be happy. It's just that there are certain things that would make them exceptionally happy, unfortunately.

THe problem here is that I lied to get out of this situation, and it's gonna come back and bite me in the ass. That's all.

Actually, I'm halfway out of the hole - I told my mom that they already posted interview candidates and that I was not among them. She was cool about it ... but when her and my father get a chance to discuss things, their opinions often change very, very quickly.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:26 AM   #20
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Sometimes 7,800ish miles away doesn't seem so far, does it? (assuming your 'rents are in the States)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:50 AM   #21
breakingnews
Q_Q

They mostly live here now ... but all the way in the south part of the island, about 300-some miles away.

They have a lot of spies in taipei though.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #22
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Presumably the old "You can't trust those inscrutable Asians" defense won't work in this case, so trying to tell your folks that the college LOST the rest of your materials is out of the question.

But maybe not! Deny deny deny. Go proactive, put the school on the defensive. "Those hacks! that's EXACTLY the reason I don't want to go to school at some second rate school that LOSES half my admissions material. THIS is an OUTRAGE!

splutter a lot, stamp and storm, seem really hurt annoyed betrayed rejected, take it up to 11 and get your folks into the position of having to chill you out and not the other way around.

You can do it, you old thespian you.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #23
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
I've seen this kind of thing before, in movies. When your parents realize the lengths you've gone to to avoid doing something you didn't want to do, they'll suddenly understand, in a tearful epiphany, that they've been too controlling, and they'll support you in your endevor to become a world-class motorcycle daredevil. Oh, and you'll get the girl, too. That other guy wasn't right for her, didn't treat her good. She sees that now. Oh look! Your puppy just came home! He hops up and licks you on the face, everybody laughs! :::roll credits:::
lol @ Flint

Those were funny. Hey who stole yer id.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway,,,to answer the question. No...... but I can imagine the scenarios. I suggest not being too honest. I am not saying be dishonest but if you know you are going to get the gillotine. I don't see any reason to add anymore pain by telling your family how you didn't really fill out the application. I would just decide to change and not be passive aggressive next time which it sounds like you have.
Good Luck

Last edited by skysidhe; 11-17-2006 at 02:15 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:38 PM   #24
marichiko

I like the taking the offensive part. How dare that school lose half your paperwork? You spent hours and hours sending off for these papers, taking that test, getting this reference, and the idiots lose them! What can of education can I get at such a place? Why don't I apply at "enter school of your choice" university. Now THEY have a good reputation!

PS It helps to visualize yourself doing all those things. Sure, you sent for those transcripts - you remember the very day. You distinctly remember dropping that one envelope in the mail. Hypnotize yourself into believing and it shall become true!
Old 11-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #25
rkzenrage

Gotta' live your life man!
Time to make it YOURS, take ownership. One day you will die... they will not be doing that for you... don't let them do the rest for you either, take the good so when the bad comes you will have reaped the benefits as well.
Stop owning all that guilt, it was given to you, not grown by you.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:20 PM   #26
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

This seems to be a messy situation period. My suggestion is to just be honest. I don't know your parents, but I tend to be a lot more understanding and forgiving if someone admits to a little bad judgement (lying rather then standing your ground) than if I find out by other means. You never know what they can or cannot prove with regards to your application... maybe it was sealed until the person looking through it opened it. Maybe the person who opened it remembers that application and will tell your parents you are lying.

Oh, and to answer your question, not really. When I was younger I was basically caught in the lie that I wasn't having sex (since I was). But that was all I did that was really bad in my parents eyes, and I don't know if anyone tells their parents the truth about their sex life. And I didn't actually say I wasn't having sex, it was a lie through omission, which isn't as bad as a bald faced lie IMHO.

Edit: And I don't think you should feel guilty for wanting your own life. I think that is admirable. You parents will most likly come around if you are honest and explain that you have your own plans. And while you appreciate their concern, you don't need their plan for your life.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #27
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I'm with the "front up and be honest" brigade. It's gonna have to happen sometime, after all. You're the one that's living your life, not them ... good luck.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:48 PM   #28
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
My motto is "It's always easier to obtain forgiveness than permission"

but I maybe made that clear.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM   #29
LabRat
twatfaced two legged bumhole

OK, so i am dying to know what happened.

Update please BN, if you are still alive
Old 01-09-2007, 01:33 PM   #30
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Presumably the old "You can't trust those inscrutable Asians" defense won't work in this case, so trying to tell your folks that the college LOST the rest of your materials is out of the question.

But maybe not! Deny deny deny. Go proactive, put the school on the defensive. "Those hacks! that's EXACTLY the reason I don't want to go to school at some second rate school that LOSES half my admissions material. THIS is an OUTRAGE!

splutter a lot, stamp and storm, seem really hurt annoyed betrayed rejected, take it up to 11 and get your folks into the position of having to chill you out and not the other way around.

You can do it, you old thespian you.
THIS makes me laugh uproariously. You have no idea how many students we have who fail to go through the proper steps and tell their parents we lost everything or screwed them up somehow. Usually, the parents end up making an appt (with kid in tow) to discuss our errors and what we're going to do about it. It usually ends up being a no show, because the kid would get into more trouble once the parents find the truth and are embarrassed. The kid figures out a way to get out of it.

Please don't blame the administrators. We get enough shit as it is!