The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 AM   #16
Juniper
I know, right?

Yikes, that terrifies me. My teeth aren't great, but I think I'll keep on patching them for a while. I inherited my mom's teeth (haha, not literally, just the tooth *quality* or lack thereof ) and she had dentures at age 35. At least I've got her beat by a few years.

I do need some work done though. And a new dentist. The one I'm going to wasn't keen on replacing a couple of crowns that I know need it done - one front tooth is actually chipped. But he says "oh, they're fine . . . not worth the trouble." Fine, but he doesn't have to bloody live with them, does he?

Good luck, Capn.

Oh, and remember this for fun. Mom used to have this "trick" to make little ones giggle (or freak them out); she'd poke her tongue out from underneath her bottom teeth. Ew. LOL!
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:48 AM   #17
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

And my [other] Grandad used to turn his teeth upside down and then smile at us for fun.
(but I bet none of this is really helpful, is it, Cap'n?)
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 AM   #18
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Actually, yes Limey! I am less and less anxious about it. I've learned that usually things aren't nearly as bad as we think they will be.

I asked the nurse during my phone interview if I would be awake during the procedure. I think she thought I was afraid to be put to sleep so she said they could give me an "awake" sedation. I told her I wanted to know NOTHING. She assured me that either way I wouldn't give a shit what the hell was going on.

On the positive: Should anything go wrong, god forbid, they can just call 911.... she'll probably be standing right next to me.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #19
monster
I hear them call the tide

Someone on the board I used to frequet got implants and they look fantastic. She wasn't too happy during the pulling and healing process but reckons it was worth it. My ceramics teacher swears by his implant too. He reckons he's going to get the next one with a sharp edge for cutting fishing line.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
(juju - kissing someone without their "wallies" is a whole new experience!)
OMG! if it gets any better kissing Capn I don't know if I can stand it!! It's great now!

But I am looking forward to being able to cook his favorite foods without watching him try to eat in agony! It hurts me to just watch him suffer but bless his heart, he never tries to complain!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #21
monster

So.... When was the last time you saw the dentist, Cap'n? maybe you only need dentures at the bottom?

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #22
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I've only gone to the dentist when I was in intolerable pain all my life. Now the tale is being told. Thanks to juju I have dental insurance now. So here we go!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #23
monster

right, so just may not be as bad as you think. good luck whatever happens
Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They'll knock you out, it won't hurt a bit.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #25
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

I hope so. Today I may only get Xrays and scheduling.... dunno, but I leave in about 30 mins. Get back with y'all.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #26
monster

Thinking of you, dude. It'll be fine no matter what, but I doubt they'll do much more than exam. x-ray and scheduling today, either.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #27
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

Just giving an update on Capn. We got to the dentist a few minutes early and Capn was very anxious but was handling it well. They got us in rapidly and of course got the paperwork out of the way. They took a mouthful of xrays and shuffled me out of the room to answer some more questions about the insurance. Anyway, in just a few minutes they determined he had 21 teeth that had to come out. They took out 9 of them today after doping him up on a handful of pills that should have put down a small elephant and then gassed him with gas. He did very well and never even closed his eyes during the procedure.

They packed his mouth with packing after putting some stitches in and sent him home with 2 prescriptions. 1 for pain meds and the other for something to keep down infection. He is now laying on the couch sleeping up a storm but for once in weeks, he doesn't seem to be in pain.

He still has several more weeks to go before they will remove the other 12 teeth and make his dentures but the ball is rolling for his recovery.

Thanks everyone for your love and support for the capn!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #28
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

We're all "rooting" for him!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #29
glatt

Wow! Hang in there, Capn.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #30
Pie
Gone and done

Glad to hear he made it through okay!