The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Photo Contests

Photo Contests Competition is good sometimes.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:54 AM   #61
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No entries from me this time round - had a grim couple of weeks (financial worries) and couldn't get motivated. Will be back on board next time.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #62
jinx
Come on, cat.

Excellent job glatt! Looks like a friend of mine was on almost the same vacation as you... grand canyon, zion, bryce, arches, mesa verde etc... perfect road trip.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 AM   #63
glatt

We ran into a family from PA on three separate occasions at three separate places. I doubt the world is that small, but this friend of yours wasn't part of a (Mom/Dad/teenage girl/tween boy) family by any chance?

It was an excellent trip.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #64
jinx
Come on, cat.

No, 2 guys and a dog, lol...

What was your favorite place?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #65
glatt

Either Zion or Capitol Reef.

Zion was at the start of the trip, and we still had two full weeks ahead of us, so we were all in a great place mentally. The adventure was just beginning. There were some good hikes and that's also where we did a horse ride. Spectacular scenery. But very crowded, even after we had hiked in for an hour from the trail heads. Hard to get a picture of anything without having other people in it. But I liked Zion a lot.

Capitol Reef was very intimate. Almost nobody goes there, so we had the trails totally to ourselves. It's a smaller scale than the other places, but the rock formations are much more interesting close up, and the kids can climb all over the place. The rangers were much more friendly and relaxed than at the bigger parks, where they have hundreds of people a day to talk to. It's a really special place. That "texture" picture pretty much sums it up.

Bryce was nice, but way too crowded. The stars were the best thing about Bryce. We hiked into the rock formations one day, and that was pretty cool, but again, it was too crowded.

Grand Canyon was as spectacular as always, but I decided I like the South Rim better. The North Rim doesn't have the mind blowing view. You can only see like a third of the canyon from the North Rim. But it's still the Grand Canyon, and very impressive.

We came across a neat place called Pipe Spings National Monument. It was just a fort in the middle of the desert, but it was fun to explore, and the Rangers there were really laid back too. Happy to see you. We stopped there on a fluke, and I'm very glad we did.

Basically, the more popular the park, the less fun it was. Except for Zion. Zion was popular, but they do a good job managing the crowds.

Public pictures on Facebook for anyone who's interested:
Zion
Bryce
Capitol Reef
Hope to post the Grand Canyon ones tonight. I took a LOT of pictures and it takes time to go through them.

Last edited by glatt; 08-24-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM   #66
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Either Zion or Capitol Reef.
<snip>
We stopped there on a fluke, and I'm very glad we did.
<snip>
Finding something unexpected, especially when it's completely by chance, has been a lot more fun for our family than our planned events.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #67
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Grand Canyon was as spectacular as always, but I decided I like the South Rim better. The North Rim doesn't have the mind blowing view. You can only see like a third of the canyon from the North Rim. But it's still the Grand Canyon, and very impressive.
I agree.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #68
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Fantastic pictures Glatt! I wanna go now.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #69
glatt

Thanks, Pico!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:02 PM   #70
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #71
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
No archive pictures allowed -you must take and post your masterpieces between now and 11:59:59.99 PM eastern on Sunday, August 15th 2010.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #72
glatt

yeah, yeah, yeah. Maybe tomorrow I'll do some voting threads.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #73
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Old 08-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #74
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

This contest is dead. It's not pining for the fjords, it's not resting. It has ceased to be. Its head has been removed form its body, and thrown through a brush chipper. The headless body has been quartered and sent to the four corners of the British Empire to be impaled on pikes, and displayed in front of Greeley's Saloon.

Awww, I'm just fuckin' with ya. I know the poll makers have stuff to do, they may even have a life.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:02 PM   #75
Rhianne
Nearly done.

A life? I think I had one of those once.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote