The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 08-15-2003, 01:36 PM   #1
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Credit card processing

I'm wondering if folks have any suggestions for somebody that can process credit card transactions. The number of transactions is small enough that it doesn't seem like the expense or effort of a full-blown merchant account is justified. The obvious answer is paypal, but I've got some reservations, and wondered if any folks here have tried any other services that wouldn't eat a small concern up with annual fees.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:33 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'll ask HiTech to ring in on this. They take credit cards at pow wow's and craft shows.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:45 AM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

There's always that ibill, if nothing else. (ibill.com) I haven't looked deeply into them, but a lot of sites use them.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
Hi!Tech
Grandpa always said,do what you`re good at

We used Paypal before we acquired a merchant account,and never had any trouble.I don`t know how it is now.I think that they`ve raised some of their fees,and changed some things.
If you go with a merchant account shop around at your local banks,don`t go with one of the big companies.If you go with one of the simple machines that you just swipe the card with,and not one of the electronic machines,you can sometimes get some really good deals.
The reason we needed to be able to accept credit cards was because we were missing out on sales for our big ticket items.Most people don`t carry more than a couple of hundred dollars,if that,in cash on them.
You either need to do enough volume or bigger sales for a merchant account to pay off.
Shop around you might be able to find something that suits you.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:23 AM   #5
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Thanks, that's helpful. The "client" I'm doing this for (and this oughta be exciting.. the first serious freelance work I've done in a decade) is selling sheet music and some CDs, so I don't think there's any point in having "instant approval" online. Something with a local swipe card reader might be the way to go. The big thing she's interested in is making it easier for folks in Europe to buy her stuff.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:39 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The swipe reader is really only for in-person sales with a merchant account.

I'm under the impression that you get a far, far, far better rate by doing the transaction electronically, and that all banks hate you if you go in with a stack of paper transactions, and will charge you so much that it may soon make sense for craft show vendors to invest in wireless terminals.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

I definitely have to do more research.. I have heard they charge LESS for off-line systems because they feel the direct online aproval with no human intervention leads to higher fraud.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:26 PM   #8
Hi!Tech
Grandpa always said,do what you`re good at

There are also two different kinds of electronic credit card machines.The first kind stores the information until you can plug it into a phone jack and upload it to the company that handles your transactions.The second one uploads it immediately.These tend to be more expensive and subject to wether you have a signal,similar to cell phones.In either case you can either lease them or buy them out right.
The other thing you need to know about is that Visa and Mastercard are usually the same rate,but Discover and especially American Express will cost you more.
Old 08-23-2003, 08:38 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

We're probably talking about different things then and my post can be ignored... I was thinking about the older stye impression-only machines which craft fair folks do still use.