The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-12-2004, 11:11 AM   #1
garnet

Online Dating

Being a thirty-something single woman who doesn't frequent bars, I've found it pretty tough to meet guys. A couple weeks ago I joined one of the many online dating services. I had a couple of pretty "blah" dates--one guy was a bit of a jerk, and with the other there was just no chemistry.

To make a long story short, the next guy I went out with turned out to be an absolute DREAM come true. He's super sweet, intelligent, funny and has a good stable job--not to mention the fact that he's VERY good-looking! We've been on three dates and we're both having a blast. We have tons of stuff in common, and we just talk and laugh constantly. My question is this--I've heard so many bad stories about online dating gone awry. Is it possible to meet Mr. or Ms. Right online? I tend to be very cautious about this stuff, but it just seems like I've hit the jackpot with this one. I'm old and wise enough to be skeptical, but I'm trying not to be too skeptical! Any advice, thoughts or success stories out there?
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #2
AlphaRaptor
Kid Genius

Go for it! Good luck!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Yes, it is possible to meet Mr./Ms. Right online...Lady Syc and I have been together for 5 years. Online dating--though you have to be more careful--is just like regular dating really. Have fun with this guy and see where things go.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:06 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Jacquelita and I met there... still goin' at it and gettin' better.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
Jacquelita
Don't pop a vein

It has worked out well for me (us) - Of course, there's only 1 UT out there - so good luck
Jacquelita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hmmmm,......it appears that the one UT isn't "out there" anymore.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:30 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquelita
Of course, there's only 1 UT out there
And thank goodness for that too!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:31 PM   #8
jaguar
whig

I say go for it, the stigma is well gone, this is the internet age. Go for it!
Old 09-12-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
busterb
NSABFD

Dirty old man in south who post in Do-Dads along w/ oxB "Lonely please reply asap"
OOOPPPs forgot horney also. :-P
Old 09-12-2004, 10:48 PM   #10
marichiko

Online dating is as valid a way of meeting people as any, and better than the bar scene IMO. I tried it for a while before I met my current BF (we were introduced by mutual friends). I never got that serious about it, but I did meet a man who is a fellow writer and while we didn't click on the chemistry level, we have become good platonic friends for about 3 years now. One of my BF's friends met a woman from Canada online and they ended up getting married and seem very happy together. I'd say go for it, using the same caution that you would after 3 dates with anyone that you'd met some other way.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:19 AM   #11
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I once started a brief chat-liaison with someone I knew only as Mr London. We agreed to swap photos with a view to meeting but when I got his through I realised he had, lets say, embellished his appearance, and was more, lets say, Mr Michelin, aged 45 not 25, and then found out, instead of the beauty contest winning career his moniker had inferred, he had an incredibly boring sales job (I could never take someone in sales seriously who takes sales seriously). I thought if he could lie about that he could lie about other things.

Anyway, back to the point, I think if you have already met and get on with this guy there's no problem - it would be just as if you had met him in a bar. Have fun!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:03 AM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman
. . . but when I got his through I realised he had, lets say, embellished his appearance, and was more, lets say, Mr Michelin, aged 45 not 25, and then found out, instead of the beauty contest winning career his moniker had inferred, he had an incredibly boring sales job
So what had he told you he did? Perhaps you were hoping for someone in the glamorous IT management field?

Quote:
it would be just as if you had met him in a bar.
Oooo that safe!
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:32 PM   #13
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Before you completely throw caution to the wind, have you met any friends/family/co-workers? Just a thought.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #14
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar512
Before you completely throw caution to the wind, have you met any friends/family/co-workers? Just a thought.
Yup. He took me to his office and I met some of his co-workers, and we also ran into some of his friends when we were out one night and we all hung out for a while. I also met his neighbor who he's pals with. No family yet, though, because they're all out of state. So far everything he says seems legit--he has a fairly high-profile job in the community and I was able to do a little "research" on him online. It all checks out so far. We went on date #4 last night, and had a great time! I'm still being cautious of course, but no complaints so far. Amazing! :p
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 02:49 PM   #15
lookout123
changed his status to single

are you sure it is really him though? i mean, what if you are dating the talented MR Ripley???