The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #46
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
President Carter asked 12 year old Amy what was the most important issue. Children knew it was "the control of nuclear arms". Amy clearly represented the concerns of all kids.
I don't know when she was asked. But I'd have said the same 1980-1983.
1979 I cried when Thatcher got into power. I thought Daddy would lose his job.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #47
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

When i was a kid and used to still say prayers before going to sleep (just in bed, not kneeling down or anything) I used to include in my prayer, along with laying me down to sleep my soul to keep etc, I also included a little plea that there wouldn't be a nuclear war in my lifetime...or in my future children's lifetime, or their future children's lifetime. I used to like to cover all bases ya know?

Fear of nuclear armageddon was a very real part of the 70s/80s childhood experience as far as I recall.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #48
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
When did the president know what all women wanted because they consulted their wife?
When did John Kerry's wife say she knew what all women wanted?
When did Ann or Mitt? Lemme help you, Never.
Quote:
The only question you should be answering:
I shouldn't be answering these questions, nor should you.
We are the ones who should be asking relevant questions.
Quote:
Where is her experience?
If you do not know already know the answer to this, you shouldn't be posting here.
If you did, you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.
Quote:
Why did you even post the irrelevant Republican word?
What is that? What Republican word? WTH are you babbling about?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #49
Ibby
erika

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...0,611519.story

Quote:
“Even if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work,” Mitt Romney said in a campaign stop in Manchester, N.H., in January. “And people said, 'Well that's heartless.' And I said, 'No, no, I'm willing to spend more giving day care to allow those parents to go back to work. It'll cost the state more providing that day care, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.' "
childcare is only "work" if you're wealthy, I guess.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #50
Ibby
erika

...or maybe when they say "work" they just fucking mean "employment", like most people do and there IS no attack on motherhood as difficult and important. fuckin' duh.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:08 PM   #51
SamIam

From Ibram's link:

Quote:
"Moving welfare recipients into work was one of the basic principles of the bipartisan welfare reform legislation that President Clinton signed into law. The sad fact is that under President Obama the poverty rate among women rose to 14.5% in 2011, the highest rate in 17 years. The Obama administration's economic policies have been devastating to women and families," Amanda Henneberg, a Romney spokesperson said.
I seem to have a recollection that it was the sub prime lending fiasco and the greed of the big financial outfits that threw us into the recession that sucked up all the jobs. Obama happens to be President, not the chief CEO of Goldman Sachs. Hello?

Moms from all walks of life, along with practically all other Americans, paid to bail out the CEO's. You'd think the CEO's might return the favor, but they'd rather cut their tax rates ever further while calling upon the middle and working class to "share in the sacrifice."

You can require that people have the "dignity" of work all you like, but if there are no jobs or the jobs available pay only minimum wage, much good it's going to do anyone. Moms included.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #52
it
Banned

i am the last one to critique stay at home parents of any kind... i was one...

but to be fair, it seems very likely that Romney's wife would have a maid for cleaning and possibly cooking - or at least afford taking her family to eat out whenever she doesn't feel like cooking - be able to send her kids to the best daycare in town, best schools and best after school activities and tutors, quite possibly with a driver...

once those are covered, you have pretty much covered most - if not all - of the hours most employed parents would otherwise be employed in, and aren't actually doing anymore parenting then an employed parent would do. its quite possible Romney himself could have had about as much quality time with the kids as she did if he didn't pick a job that required so much traveling. and that is all assuming she didn't also have a nanny...
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #53
classicman

They rented a $75 month basement apartment when they first got married and had their son. Then she delayed going to school to be a stay at home mom. She also went back to school part-time so it wouldn't interfere with HER raising her kids.

Traceur - be careful before posting on assumptions.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #54
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
They rented a $75 month basement apartment when they first got married and had their son. Then she delayed going to school to be a stay at home mom.
That was for a short time. And then they became so wealthy as to afford a cleaning ladies and other hired help. Most of the time, the Romneys were well off. That little reality gets lost in massive spin about a $75 apartment.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #55
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I thought mitt's family already had money? Guess I don't really know their story.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #56
Ibby
erika

Ann and Mitt married in 1969, the year that his father went from being governor of Michigan to being the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, and well after he was CEO of American Motors. There's no way Mitt would have been wanting for money if he needed it, but he made either the political or the ethical decision to start out NOT taking advantage of his father's wealth, at least immediately. The Romneys weren't in any danger of POVERTY, but clearly decided that there's a problem with starting his family with the same level of wealth he would have potentially enjoyed from his father.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #57
classicman

Her story is a good read. I learned a lot about her.
Others are more interested in "massive spin"

As a parent if I had the ability to stay home, I would.
As a grandparent if I had the financial means to allow my daughter or son to stay home
and raise their child(ren) I would willingly do that as well.
Some are too partisan to grasp that. They'd rather bitch moan and demean others for their wealth.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #58
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

This isnt about demeaning them for their wealth. It's about whether or not someone who has never experienced really being on the breadline and making those decisions has the kind of expertise to speak for others in that position.

Whether they ever were in that position i dont know.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #59
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
This isn't about demeaning them for their wealth.
To you, I believe. To many others, that's exactly what it is.
Its OK, IIRC, There were some pretty good presidents that were wealthy.
Kennedy, for one, was pretty well thought of as a pres and look at the money he came from.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #60
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
This isnt about demeaning them for their wealth. It's about whether or not someone who has never experienced really being on the breadline and making those decisions has the kind of expertise to speak for others in that position.

Whether they ever were in that position i dont know.
^THIS!!!!

People born with a silver spoon do not know whats is like to live without one. They especially CANNOT speak for people who didn't. Its insulting.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote