The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

Waiting for my new laptop to arrive later this week.

My 7 year old Sony Viao has seen better days. It runs Windows Vista and the battery no longer works and the new ones are expensive and you have to do something to the BIOS. It was taking somewhere like 8 minutes to boot up. And Adobe Lightroom stopped writing updates that would work with Vista so I was having to use Lightroom V3 instead of V5 which is what I have on my desktop.

So when I suddenly came into money 2 weeks ago when the valet car park guys had to pay me for damaging my car I decided the time was right for a new laptop.

Keep in mind I travel a lot but my kind of travel is mostly getting on a plane to somewhere and I will set up my laptop when I get there. Not much traveling around within a trip while on the road other then that. And I need a fast and reliable computer that can run photo and video editing software.

So here is what I ordered and why. I ordered a Lenovo Y-70 gaming computer.
Basic specs:
Processor--4th Generation Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Operating system--Windows 8.1 64
Display--17.3" FHD LED AntiGlare Multitouch with integrated camera (1920x1080)
Graphics--NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M GDDR5 4GB
Memory--16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L 1600 MHz
Hard Drive--512GB SSD

I could have gotten a 1TB hybrid SSD drive but decided the 512GB SSD was faster and I mostly carry an external drive for image and video files. A 17 inch laptop is kind of big and it sure isn't light at 7.5 lbs but like I said the transport is mostly getting from A to B and then it will just be set up and used.

Also I now so many photographers are Apple users but I switched back to a Windows PC OS years ago. I could build good desktops for much less and I don't like the control over everything Apple exerts.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
A 17 inch laptop is kind of big and it sure isn't light at 7.5 lbs...
Because it's going to be used primarily for photo work, I think you're smart to go with as large a screen as you're comfortable traveling with.