The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 11-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
seakdivers
Icy Queen

haha - the beard. Well...... he didn't pack a razor, so I convinced him that he looked fine with a scruffy face. I think it was ok.

The frustrating thing (I am being very careful here) is that they took a week's worth of evidence viewing, fascinating conversations that really did reveal some really weird new stuff, but it was too complex to squish into an hour of tv.....which in reality was only about a half hour with the commercials..... and that's all I can say about that.....

well anyhoo - at least he didn't do anything terribly embarrasing
seakdivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not at all, he did a fine job... and looked like a rock star.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
Beest
Adapt and Survive

I didn't see the thread yesterday, but watched the show, I've seen a few MytseryQuests and like them.

Some of the 'evidence' was rather strained (psychological profile from handwriting anlysis ), and they only compared two possible subjects.

Never heard of this Lumbety guy though, American show, Amercian take on Jack the Ripper.

I watched it all the way to the end anyway.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 01:45 PM   #19
seakdivers
Icy Queen

ok yeah, we didn't know who they were going to use as a handwriting analyst. That part made us cringe!! Brent is first & foremost a scientist, so that kind of quackery is something he would really like to distance himself from......unfortunately there she was.

They actually went over many other suspects & there was waaayyy more evidence on the Tumblety guy, but the History Channel wanted to narrow it down to two it seems, so they whittled away at the footage to get the salacious parts they wanted.
As far as it being an American show/ American suspect - the guy who "discovered" Tumblety & wrote a book basically naming him as a suspect was Stewart Evans who is from London.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:34 AM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So handwriting analyst is a flaky way to profile someone?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #21
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
So handwriting analyst is a flaky way to profile someone?
"deep loops on the 'y' and 'g' that cross into the next line of writing proove that you're sexually psychotic"

I like this kind of stuff, but always try to be objectively cynical as to what is presented as proof.

Theres a show on Discovery on Sunday "Jack the Ripper in America", I'm guessing it's about the same guy.

Seems to be solid evidence he was in the right place at the right time and disappeared again, was a strong suspect at the time, but they didn't have the hard evidence.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
seakdivers
Icy Queen

I know.... umm.... the letter that is supposedly "invading" the others was written first. The sentence/ words below it are the ones invading the deeply looped Y or G.
Brent tried to tell them not to use that kind of person - they need someone who compares handwriting to see if it has similarities or is fake, like the people employed by Christies or other high end auction places that determine whether or not signatures or writings are forgeries. As far as opining on a person's personality by looking at their handwriting? pffft - gimme a break.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Look at that illegible scrawl, he must be a doctor.

!
footfootfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #24
Beest
Adapt and Survive

I only caught the last fifteen minutes of the Discovery show, their Ripper was an English guy, who after the London killings skipped to the US and carried on for several years all over the country.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:21 PM   #25
seakdivers
Icy Queen

the Discovery channel one was made by a different company. Their "investigator" was cringeworthy at best.