The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #31
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Here's the thing. Much like Trump opponents, the arguments against are orthogonal to the arguments for.

The opposite side of "Guns kill people" is NOT "No, they don't." Instead, it's "Yes, but the minute we give them up the government will become a dictatorship." Now, you can say that argument is stupid (and it is,) but the way to convince the big Second Amendment folks is not to keep pointing out how senselessly dangerous guns are. That's a necessary evil in their minds. The trick is to convince them that their little AR-15 is NOT the deciding factor in whether Hitler, Jr. takes over America.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #32
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The trick is to convince them that their little AR-15 is NOT the deciding factor in whether Hitler, Jr. takes over America.
Mine is, because it's a rare 7.62 x 39, not some puny .223 round like the Army guys. I know because I've got a lot of Army guys, Mom's always telling me to pick up and put in the box, before Pop steps on one with his bare feet. I'll save 'Merica from that Nazi nogoodnik.

I must be a child because tw and Robocop are the only adults in the whole country.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #33
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I must be a child because tw and Robocop are the only adults in the whole country.
Clearly you are not a child. Look at the size of your penis. Amazing what .223 and and 7.62 mm rounds can do to upgrade a child into a man. Since only a man can put quarter inch holes in other people.

Clearly you are safer because your penis and holes are bigger. Size matters.

Real men have brains - and use them.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #34
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ok, which would better?

To have a big penis with a little hole, or a small penis with a really big hole?

How'd we get to penis holes again?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:56 PM   #35
John Sellers
Banned

There are a few more vidz RE: this tragedy on the TYT channel if anyone would like to view them.
John Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:20 PM   #36
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Ok, which would better?

To have a big penis with a little hole, or a small penis with a really big hole? ...
Depends on your fluid intake.
That's not so important as your lead intake.
Some real men using their brains in Orlando somehow forgot that.
Guess they weren't worried about a government dictatorship.
Guess they weren't worried about lead from other sources.
Ignorance is bliss, sometimes permanently.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:44 AM   #37
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Extremists know their followers must be told how to think. There followers will only believe the first thing told. So Trump and Bill O'Reilly immediately blame immigrants or Isis for a massacre in Orlando.

No facts say that. That adult who was a child had a long history of alliance with all kinds of wacko extremist mentalities. But that is irrelevant to extremists such as Ann Coulter. They must be the first to connect a "Them verses Us" rationalization. Since the brainwashed only know and remember the first thing they are told.

Where is this Isis or illegal immigrant connection. Ann Coulter is even claiming gangs have taken over our city streets. So how many still listen to these wacko extremists? What day are they now saying the world will end?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #38
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

This is a nice story.

Quote:
But Cox said he was extremely moved by the event and felt the need to apologize, KSL reported.
"I grew up in a small town and went to a small rural high school," he said, according to the news site. "There were some kids in my class that were different. Sometimes I wasn’t kind to them. I didn’t know it at the time, but I know now that they were gay. I will forever regret not treating them with the kindness, dignity and respect — the love — that they deserved. For that, I sincerely and humbly apologize."
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #39
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It'll be interesting to see if/how it changes his political fortunes in Utah.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #40
John Sellers
Banned

Apparently the shooter was himself, gay? Ana, Sam, and Kenny break it down here.
John Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #41
Happy Monkey

In My Thoughts and Prayers
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Digital Cuttlefish
See, for months and years they’ve blustered, and they’ve pandered to their base,
Spouting biblical allusions which they’ll try now to erase
If the motive here was bigotry, as cannot be denied,
The senators’ own rhetoric is on the shooter’s side
So they’re praying, and they’re praying, and they’ll pray a little more
That the people won’t remember what they said a week before
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #42
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
anti-LGBTQ rhetoric
Wait a minute, LGBTQ? That's new to me. I can't keep up.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #43
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
If the motive here was bigotry, as cannot be denied,
"If" presenting a condition, and "cannot be denied" entirely unconditional. In the very same sentence. Why would one write a shitty sentence like that? Here's why,

While at the same time we MUST PLAINLY admit that on day one, we don't understand this event, because on its face it is pretty much incomprehensible,

And it came from a psychology that we don't understand and a culture we are only partly familiar with,

It is important for us to believe we DO understand, because our brains need a narrative for it. All things need explanation.

And in 2016 the narrative is political. So,

~ This is where we are now ~ if we don't understand, at least we can have opinions which nobody can safely disagree with; and we can blame others, which comforts us and makes us feel superior.

To me, it is an offensive reaction to the event. People are dead and you want to make a point. But fine, it's 2016, have fun being all political.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #44
Happy Monkey

Q=Queer
A bit of a catch-all (which isn't to say that it will prevent future letters from being added).
|_______________| [pics]
Old 06-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #45
Happy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
"If" presenting a condition, and "cannot be denied" entirely unconditional. In the very same sentence. Why would one write a shitty sentence like that?
It's common to phrase "given X, Y" as an "if, as we know, X, then Y".

Madness is incomprehensible, almost by definition, so to the extent that mental illness played a part, it's incomprehensible.

But the claim that gays are evil and dangerous, and are destroying our society, is not some foreign culture issue. The idea that gays deserve death is not some outside thing. There are plenty of Americans, even ones without immigrant parents, who grew up in that environment.

I agree that it ought not be a political issue, but that's only possible when a large majority of politicians agree. It wasn't an issue when they all agreed to condemn gays, and now it is. It will remain a political issue until consensus is again formed, hopefully in the other direction.

Quote:
To me, it is an offensive reaction to the event. People are dead and you want to make a point.
This reads to me as "don't talk about issues when they're most relevant." It's precisely what the poem is about; during the immediate aftermath this tragedy, the politicians want to offer empty thoughts and prayers, and once it blows over, go back to claiming that gays are a threat to civilization.
|_______________| [pics]