The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 11-23-2014, 11:35 AM   #2896
Griff
still says videotape

You mean sharts or farts?
Old 11-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #2897
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

♪ ♫Bang bang bang bang bang bang bang bang banana gun♪ ♫

Name:  bananagun.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  94.8 KB

A guy points a banana at a cop named Bunch, in the town of Fruitvale?

This has to be some form of bullshit...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #2898
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Taken out of context this is one hell of a sentence:

"Love was drawing his service weapon when Channing yelled, 'It's a banana!"'
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:44 PM   #2899
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Name:  Captured Ol' JB.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  34.9 KB

And that story only got one star.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #2900
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ...

Mayhem as US 'Black Friday' hits Britain

Name:  Mayhem.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  108.7 KB
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 12:39 PM   #2901
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
'Black Friday' was introduced to the UK by Amazon in 2010. In the great capitalist scheme of things it was/is a cunning piece of marketing and it kick starts the Christmas shopping season quite effectively.

It's always been the tradition to start the sales immediately after the Christmas and New Year's Day holiday. In recent years, the sales have started on 26th December despite it being a public holiday.
Presumably the thinking is 'if we can shift our tat on November 28th, why wait until December 26th'?

Today I had, through force of circumstance, to travel to the nearby town for a couple of errands. I had a fair idea that the retail park I had to visit would be busy so I left the car in the town centre car park and walked the few hundred yards there. The parking area was full to bursting so that was one of my better decisions. The branch of Argos I visited wasn't any busier than usual so I assume that other premises had cut prices to attract that amount of attention.

Various TV news outlets have been showing the stampedes in supermarkets and department stores across the country. Bedlam doesn't describe it.

Read and weep.
(See the video and gasp in amazement.)

ETA: I've just heard 'Newsroom' on the BBC World Service where they finished off with a report from Oxford Street, London's Temple to Mammon.
Several interviewees related how far they had travelled, how long they had queued and how much they had spent.

At the end of the report, Jackie Leonard the presenter abandoned her duty to be impartial and could only utter the words 'They're all mad...'

Last edited by Carruthers; 11-28-2014 at 01:35 PM. Reason: As explained.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #2902
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

^WHS^

Sent by thought transference
Old 11-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #2903
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Why worry about a potential wardrobe malfunction when there's a 50" TV at stake?

The Daily Mail has its shortcomings but the photo coverage of today's scrums is worth a look.

Mail Online
Old 11-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #2904
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Cheerleaders keep crowds going at the Wembley store in north London this morning as hundreds descended on the store for sales ...
Name:  Black Friday Cherleaders.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  125.2 KB

Allllriiiight! What are competitions without cheerleaders! We need more of this.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #2905
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I deny being the same species as those dumbasses. I am a human being. Those are fucking idiots.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #2906
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

I also deny being a cheerleader.

No matter what Sarge and/or Sheldon tell you.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #2907
Griff
still says videotape

So, this is what American hegemony looks like. You're welcome.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #2908
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Those are fucking idiots.

Neatly summed up, sir.

The poor woman who opened one of the doors will probably have nightmares for weeks.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #2909
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"This TV's not worth it," she said disgustedly... as she stood in line paying for the fucking TV she fought to get.

The way to make this bullshit stop is for everyone to stop complaining about Christmas stuff being too early when it comes before Thanksgiving. Because I'll tell you right now, as someone who has to shop for 4 kids in my nuclear family plus a ton of extended relatives who have never agreed to a "draw one relative out of the hat because we have too many damn relatives" scheme... 3 weeks is not enough time to get good presents for everyone. It's just not. Yes, I could go to the mall and get a shitty present for everyone in a couple of hours, but giving a shitty present is worse than giving no present. I started thinking, planning, and shopping for Christmas presents before Thanksgiving, and the sooner we all do that, the sooner we can get rid of this artificial start date.

When Best Buy sends out a flyer that says "get your Black Friday deals a week early!" and no one gets all bitter and cries foul, the trampling will stop.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:01 PM   #2910
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
safely ensconced in my rural retreat it is easy for me to ignore all the hullabaloo and consequently not get all het up about it.

That and the whole thing is moot since I haven't got any money to spend at the moment.

And, those cheerleaders are way over-dressed. IMO