The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 12-09-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Most disturbing movie scene

What do you feel is the most disturbing movie scene you can recall? Whether it is disgusting humor, graphic violence, or horror it doesn't matter. Something that when you saw it for the first time, you almost had to avert your eyes, or just felt like throwing up. And still gives you that feeling whenever you think about it or see it.

Mine is the curb scene in American History X I have a hard time even thinking about that scene. Just gives me the shivers.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:46 AM   #2
MaggieL
in the Hour of Scampering

The arm amputation in "Requiem for a Dream"? That topped the driill scene in "Pi".

I avoid horror flicks in general...

MaggieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 05:57 AM   #3
dave

The entirety of <b>8mm</b>.

That, or perhaps the end sequence leading up to and including the execution of John Doe in <b>Se7en</b>. It's not so much what you see, it's what you don't see (but know is there). My imagination ran wild and it made me ill.

Of course, there's the rape scene in <b>Deliverance</b> as well. Ooooooooooooooooooo-weeeee!
Old 12-09-2002, 06:27 AM   #4
jaguar
whig

American Psycho - the whole thing.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:32 AM   #5
Griff
still says videotape

The ear cutting scene in Resevoir Dogs.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:53 AM   #6
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Rosie O'Donnell in a leather-dominatrix outfit in "Exit to Eden."
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 09:54 AM   #7
j03L10T
going nowhere slow

I have a very high threshold for shock.

The scene from "The world according to Garp", where the woman shoots Garp at the end. I know it is just a story, but even just the thought that there are actually people out there who are THAT insecure and self-compelled to commit such an act against any of us, is enough to make me never want to watch that sort of thing for "entertainment", ever again. I am a big fan of happy, and humorous endings>

Old 12-09-2002, 10:11 AM   #8
perth
Strong Silent Type

heres a couple.

unbreakable when samuel l jacksons character falls down the stairs. i have broken many bones in my life and the sound effects there make me cringe. great movie though.

mary shelleys frankenstein. not an especially good movie. but the part after kenneth branagh reanimates helena bonham carter and she breaks a lit lantern over her head. that scene gave me nightmares.

~james
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 11:05 AM   #9
Kutz
Killer of Wabbits

In Pulp Fiction, when J Travolta turns around in the car and fires his gun and spreads chunks of skull across the backseat... that was gruesome.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:50 PM   #10
Tobiasly
hot

Quote:
Originally posted by perth
unbreakable when samuel l jacksons character falls down the stairs. i have broken many bones in my life and the sound effects there make me cringe. great movie though.
I saw that movie in a theater, with my mom sitting next to me. She is very accident-prone, and also rather easily-injured (no broken bones I can think of, but if she, e.g. bumps her elbow against a table corner, she bleeds like a stuck pig).

You pretty much knew he was gonna fall down those stairs, and for those whole 30 seconds leading up to it, she was just freakin' out.. she grabbed by arm as hard as she could and kept making those teeth-sucking sounds.. then when he actually fell, she just couldn't watch. That is probably her worst nightmare.

So my mom feels your pain. :-)
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 12:56 PM   #11
Tobiasly
hot

The only time I can ever remember physically gagging during a movie was in Van Wilder, when they were eating the pastries.
Tobiasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:22 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Re: Most disturbing movie scene

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
Mine is the curb scene in American History X I have a hard time even thinking about that scene. Just gives me the shivers.
When I saw the title of the thread that was what I IMMEDIATELY thought of, also.

I, on the other hand, liked American Psycho.

Admittedly, I'm probably the only woman in America who did.

Read the book when it first came out. Thought it was brilliant, and recognized that most of the people protesting it hadn't bothered to read it.

There's a coupla scenes in Fight Club that were pretty icky too ... not as extreme as the AHX stomping, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:24 PM   #13
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

The scene in Cinderella where the prince puts the glass slipper on her foot and rescues her from her misery and takes her off in his carriage to the castle and they get married and live happily ever after. Disgusting.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:07 PM   #14
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Quote:
The only time I can ever remember physically gagging during a movie was in Van Wilder, when they were eating the pastries.
I just saw that this weekend for the first time. That's what got me thinking about this. It grossed me out, but I couldn't stop laughing, I have a mean streak, especially toward assholes.

That's also brings up a point, I think Van Wilder is one movie that impressed me. I had heard how disgusting it was, and just automaticly assumed Van was a dipshit and the whole point of the movie was to show this clown blowing his college career. I was wrong.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:07 PM   #15
jaguar
whig

Payback - When the smack his feet with the hammer OWWWWWWWWWWW.

World according to garp was a great book, though i've read a few by the author, who's name has since escaped my memory, and they all involved prostitutes and bears.