Atheist 15 44.12%
Not Atheist 19 55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #76
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
There may be none NOW, but that doesn't mean they were never in existence. History suggests that there were creatures or aberrations that were similar to the legendary unicorn, giving rise to their tale.

Why does it seem unbelievable that there was once a goat-type animal with one horn? Particularly since it was mentioned in natural history writings repeatedly?

Now Pegasus defies physics and biology, so I'd agree that it is probably purely legend. But again, I believe anything is possible. Our (human) limited sphere of knowledge is no where close to ALL of what there is to see and know.

yes but that's a whole different thing. I didn't say i believed there was never a creature with the kinds of physical features that could have given rise to the myth of unicorns. I said I believe there are no unicorns. Never have been any. Might have been creatures that looked a little like what became the myth of unicorns, but magical horned horses with a penchant for virgin maids? i don't think so.

And as for 'anything is possible' No. Not so. Some things aren't possible.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #77
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Flamingos gave rise to the myth of the Phoenix.
Just saying.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #78
DanaC

I don't believe in flamingos.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:25 AM   #79
DanaC

From The Invention of Lying:

Ricky Gervais on atheism
Old 05-14-2011, 09:31 AM   #80
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

What do I believe? I don't know. I'm so confused. I was raised in a strong Christian home. Over the years, I've found my faith slipping. The more I applied logic, the more I came to wonder if God wasn't an alien being. Stupid yeah. I've seen such evil in the world it has made me wonder if there is a God, but if there is pure evil then there must be pure good , ie God. At least that's how I see it.

In OIF III, I carried a pocket New Testament in my left breast shirt pocket everyday. I kept a crucifix hanging on my bunk that a Chaplain was handing out. I even had a picture of the Virgin Mary on a card a Polish soldier had given me. I kept this taped by my bunk. It gave me comfort during IDF (rocket and mortar attacks). I wouldn't run to a bunker if I was in my tent or CHU. I'd lay in my bunk and say a prayer. It should be noted I'm not Catholic. Somehow, I found the icons comforting

I came back and lost my faith totally. On my second tour, I didn't carry my bible. I did have a crucifix from the first deployment. I had some pictures of saints by my bunk that the Serb children had given me. I couldn't regain those feelings of God. When I returned back to the US and was in the Wounded Warrior Program at FT Gordon, I tried Messianic Judaism. It was interesting and the ritual was comforting, but I didn't really find God.

Next deployment, I tried but failed miserably. I even read the Koran. I couldn't find God in my heart. I know it isn't his fault. I am to blame. I tend to over rationalize Biblical events and it makes me doubt even more.

God, I miss you. I hope I can find you again. At least my children are strong Christians. I've done so many bad things in my life. I've broken every commadment (truly every one). I'm hoping I find my way home
Old 05-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #81
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae View Post
Aimed at those who call themselves Christian but do nothing about it in word or deed.
Just what is it Christians are supposed to say/do? Since there are about 38,000 different Christian denominations, I suspect not all of them would agree with the duties you've determined are required.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM   #82
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Just what is it Christians are supposed to say/do? Since there are about 38,000 different Christian denominations, I suspect not all of them would agree with the duties you've determined are required.
As I said - it's not a fair expectation and is probably because I was raised to believe Christianity required some form of worship and adhering at least to the Ten Commandments and the teachings of Jesus.

The people I am speaking of pay no attention to organised religion until it means they get a chance to dress up - christenings, marriages, funerals. Then it becomes all important - it's not "proper" if it's not done in an old stone building. They celebrate Christmas rather than Easter (it's for the kiddies!) and can barely recall a Bible story, let alone the Ten Commandments.

My opinion is that if you genuinely claim to be a follower of Christ you should be conversant with the New Testament. Otherwise, where is your knowledge of Him and His teachings coming from? If yo9u don't actually know what happened on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, how can you say you are Christian?

I'm not saying people that chose not to worship formally should not be called Christians - I accept that as a skewed belief. I'm writing about people who label themselves in complete ignorance.
"I was born in England, therefore I am Church of England, therefore I am Christian"

The kind of person who confuses God with Santa. Long white beard, wish fulfillment, gets you out of trouble if you ask nicely, can be done deals with.
In my mind that is not Christianity. Of course YMMV.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #83
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The, I-am-because-my-parents-are-and-my-grandparents-were, crowd. Yes, they should know what Christ was teaching if they claim to be followers. I don't think they have to be able to quote chapter and verse of the New Testament, and certainly not the Old Testament, but should know the concepts.
Of course since the Bible was probably written, and certainly compiled/edited long after Jesus was dead, I have to take it on faith(no pun) that it really describes what Jesus was about.

I don't belong to any denomination, don't attend any church, but consider myself a Christian. Why? Because I've no reason to doubt Jesus proscribed the "Love thy neighbor as thy self" philosophy, and that resonates with me personally. I try, I often fail, but I keep trying.

I'm not saying there aren't people doing that better than I do, who describe themselves as atheists, agnostics, or some religion. I'm just saying that's my path, and Jesus (at least what I've been taught were his teachings), is the reason I'm on it.

I'm equally repulsed by people who beat me over the head with their religion, and people who do the same with their lack of religion. You know, Jehovah's Witnesses/Mormons, that ring the doorbell, zealots who will kill me for not believing like them, and atheists who mock, "Oh, you believe in an old man in the sky with a beard and robe". If you're one of them, fuck you.

While I'm on my soapbox... God. Yeah I'm comfortable with that concept. The heaven/hell, life after death, steam bath attendant with the video game controlling everything/everybody, not so much. All that stuff is derived from the various man made religions. I figure if God is omnipotent and controlling everything remotely, why would there be more than one religion? Well maybe two, one for 'em and one agin 'em, but that's it.

I think for anybody to be absolutely sure there is, or is not, a God, is pretty silly. To be absolutely sure of something you can't prove, and can't Google up anyone who can prove it, makes no sense.
Agnostics I can fully understand. They aren't hedging bets, they're saying they don't have faith, but admit they can't prove anything one way or the other. I do have faith, but can't prove anything one way or the other, either.

Unicorns? Why not, we're finding new critters all the time, that have been right under our noses all along. Now magical Unicorns, described in children's books and fables? That's pretty hard to take seriously, but it would explain Skittles.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #84
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
and Candy Mountain

Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #85
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I don't think being able to quote chapter and verse makes you a Christian by any stretch.
I really am just annoyed at people who call themselves Christians with absolutely no knowledge of His teachings at all. My example of not knowing what happened on Good Friday and Easter Sunday wasn't plucked out of the air - it came from a vox-pop I saw a couple of years ago. Not 100% reliable, but I worked with many people like that.

I disagree that people who feel absolutely sure in their beliefs are silly. To each their own. Just don't dehumanise or kill people because of it.

I'm willing to agree to disagree on this. The silly part, not the killing part.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #86
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

I don't think they're silly, I just think they've closed their minds to any other possibility.

Kind of a predictable way to live...much more exciting to keep one's eye out for the unicorns

And I don't think that knowing one's Bible makes one a Christian, either. I know some decidedly un-Christian-like individuals who can spin your head, quoting chapter and verse.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #87
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormieweather View Post
Kind of a predictable way to live...much more exciting to keep one's eye out for the unicorns
Until you lose a kidney
Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #88
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I don't believe in flamingos.
It's not important that you believe in flamingos, only that flamingos believe in you.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #89
monster
I hear them call the tide

I know bible from babel. I totally agree with Just Sundae....wait no I don't. but I want to. I am annoyed by christians who throw their christianity in my face and don't actually know what the fuck they're talking about.... But for many religions you are born into it and you don't need to be the most devout follower to say you are one. I'm cool with that. i only get heated up when people preach what i should practice. I love the jews and the sikhs and the muslims and the whatevers for not giving a fuck about people who aren't jewish etc..... think or do. I just get "mildy irritated" when people preach what they don't practice.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #90
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Like atheists who give christmas presents?
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote