The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 06-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #9916
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

LJ, I owe you an apology for going off on you like that. You and Ali have talked out your issue and it's no one else's business. I'm sorry. That extra glass of wine last night was not a good thing.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #9917
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But Ortho, what's the Cellar good for if you can't get distracted from your own problems by kibitzing on someone else's.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:23 AM   #9918
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Again, I raise the call for a Posting While Drunk icon.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #9919
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

We seriously need a PWD icon.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #9920
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

I don't know where else to put this. My neighbor lady just came to tell me another neighbor passed away this morning. These are the folks I would hang out with around the fire. This guy was a Vietnam veteran, and a music aficionado. We once talked for hours about different musicians. He really liked me...told me I was the first woman he's flirted with in years (he would say funny things to me, but all in good humor.) I liked him a lot...not in a romantic way. I considered him a friend. One of the few people I really knew around here.

Rest in Peace, Stan. You were loved.

Goddammit I can't lose many more people. I've done little but go to funerals in the last couple years. Shit. His roommate is going to have a very hard time. Shit shit shit.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #9921
elSicomoro

I'm sorry. :-(
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #9922
glatt

I'm sorry IM. I was happy for you that time you posted about sitting around the fire. Sounded like good times. I'm sorry you're losing such a cool guy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #9923
infinite monkey

Thanks.

Was just sitting with the neighbors, who were basically his family. Trying to figure out what sort of arrangements, etc. We don't know any of his next of kin.

I just went to the funeral of another friend last week, who was a Vietnam veteran. I don't think there's anything more beautiful than the 21 gun salute. We don't know if the VA will help with a service or what.

Do any of our cellar servicemen or women know about this sort of thing?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #9924
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

contact your nearest vfw or american legion. they do a great job in our area
Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #9925
elSicomoro

If he is being buried at a Veterans Cemetery, that's part of the package...at least it was back home when my dad died four years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #9926
Big Sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I don't think there's anything more beautiful than the 21 gun salute.
Only the president receives a 21 gun salute. Soldiers get 3 volleys of rifle fire
Old 07-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #9927
monster
I hear them call the tide

Doesn't look like VA helps much

http://www.benefits.va.gov/compensat...ial-burial.asp

what about a GoFundMe account or whatever it is?

Are the polics looking for next of kin?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 PM   #9928
infinite monkey

Oh, sorry Sarge. I misspoke. I thought the 3 fires of 7 rifles was what a 21 gun salute was. I hope I didn't offend anyone.

Yeah, they're looking for next of kin. I'm about ready to head back down there to see if anyone has found anything out. I'll mention contacting the VFW or Legion, Sarge.

Thanks for the support, folks.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #9929
Big Sarge

the 3 volley fires from anywhere from 3 to 7 soldiers is very significant. it is based on the 3 volley fire to end a truce to collect the dead and wounded. so, the funeral volley symbolizes the veteran is safe and in the care of his comrades

sorry for sounding like a smart ass.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 PM   #9930
infinite monkey

No, Sarge, I appreciate the clarification.

So there was some estranged family who showed up. They wanted 'things.' LIke he had a lot of 'things.' They don't plan on any funeral of any kind, saying they can't afford it...all the while this estranged sister asking about a life insurance policy he had some time ago (and he probably cashed in.) We plan to have our own memorial amongst us. WTF is wrong with people?

I thought about the 'go fund me' thing, monster. I don't know that Stan would have wanted that. WE would like to see a service, but the funeral is for the people left behind. It breaks my heart to think that there won't be that respect shown for a paratrooper in the Vietnam war. Yet, Stan being such a private person, maybe he would have appreciated OUR efforts even more.

My dear neighbor lady is elderly, and she took care of Stan and Stan's roommate and another neighbor guy, and they took care of her. She's also become a surrogate mom to me. They're all really good folks. She's hurting, more so about the lack of compassion from his so-called family, I can tell, but you don't make it to 78 years old without knowing pain. I hope I can be stronger too in the years ahead of me.

These are the reasons we cherish family, when so many don't know what it feels like. I don't know the backstories, don't care to because it's not my business. I know how people treat me, and others around them.

I'm gonna miss that silly funny guy. And we, as some weird sort of community, are going to celebrate that life.

Thanks for the venue to talk about this.

Tags
swiss