The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Gonna Buy a Motorcycle

Well, after two years of escalating gas prices and hard, hard thinking, I've applied for a loan (which I've been told I will get) for $2,500.00, and I'm going to buy a used motorcycle. There's a few decent looking buys on craigslist here, including this stunningly beautiful classic '76 Honda CB 550 Super Sport. I fear its already, gone though.

I'm also pondering an '81 Yamaha 650 Maxim with 50k miles on it. It looks pretty decent from the pics the guy sent (which I don't have on the laptop). I really like that model as it is a shaft drive, and they are well built and reliable machines from all accounts I've found over the years. I rode a couple back in the day, and they are really comfy, plenty light, well balanced and have more than adequate power for myself and a rider.

There's also a couple of newer (like '98) Suzuki 650 cruisers, big single cylinder bikes that wouldn't be terrible for the money. I'm also looking at a couple of 650 Honda Shadow V-twins that are lower miles and in beautiful conditon...but I *so* prefer the mid-displacement four cylinder bikes.

Anyone have any advice before I make up my mind?

Oh...and here's that Honda 550. So droolingly beautiful, but it has a sport height seat, and I want the cruiser seat with its lower ass to ground height.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1092981743.html
Old 03-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

How the bike was treated is probably the biggest factor. But buying a bike that's older gives you a chance to check the general reliability of a particular bike or engine. Keep in mind you have to weigh the multi-cylinders means more parts to service/replace, vs the boner factor.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 03-29-2009 at 12:55 PM. Reason: not gud speller
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
Elspode

So are you saying that I might be better off giving more serious consideration to the V-twins? 'Cause one of those gives me major wood.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #4
sugarpop
Professor

My ex has a used 650 yamaha. It's fucking BEAUTIFUL. Shit, I wish I still had that picture on my desktop so I could post it for you. Anyway, he's completely obsessed with motorcycles now. The gas is outrageously cheap. He's on his 2nd bike now, he totalled the 1st one in a freak accident. The new one is much better though. He is always working on it, and riding it, and talking about it...
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

It looks like a great bike. But as a daily driver? I don't know. It almost looks to nice to drive to work and leave where someone is going to steal it, esp if it is a classic bike. And then how would you feel about leaving it out in the weather, rain, snow, etc, that inadvertantly shows up? I would recommend against it only because it is to nice to use as a second bike. And the other thing to consider is parts. They can be hard to come by if you need a repair.

I would recomend something that is a bit more late model. 650 is about the break point for good gas milage. Once you get into the 750's and up you are going to find that your gas mileage will go down with weight and power. I would stick with the Honda's and Yamaha's because of reliability and parts. Good luck and let us know what you do.

A fellow rider.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Elspode, I've ridden a fair bit. My Shadow 750 got great mileage and looked and sounded good. If you're looking at a Suzuki Savage, however, don't. It has paper gaskets and should you ride it hard, they will leak. I know a guy who bought one new in Virginia, broke it in, then rode it to Jacksonville, FL. We had to pull the engine and replace all the gaskets to fix the leaks. It's a basic learner bike, to be disposed of when you're done with it.

The Maxim, is a good bike with decent reliability reports, good looks and sound and price is great for a beginner. I'd go with the shaft drive over a chain for the maintenance and the fact that the chain tends to throw grease on your bike whereas the shaft does not. If you go shaft, remember to check the lash (free play in the shaft) before you buy. Too much lash can give you a hard startoff or even break teeth in the gears.

And post pics of your choice!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
So are you saying that I might be better off giving more serious consideration to the V-twins? 'Cause one of those gives me major wood.
Reliability and maintenance are prime concerns, so stay away from the super high tech toys they build for the bragging rights of people that are riding once a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
snip~ It almost looks to nice to drive to work and leave where someone is going to steal it, esp if it is a classic bike. ~snip
Absolutely, garage queens are beautiful, but high worry/maintenance. If you covet it, so will others. There is much to be said for a rat bike.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
NoBoxes

I've previously used a motorcycle for basic transportation; also, I've done several cross country (coast to coast) trips, some with a passenger. I've ridden through deserts and mountains, sand and snow, and have sewn a few curves together. My minimum threshold for long distance riding, especially with a passenger, is 750cc with 4 cylinders. Safety is the primary concern. Regardless of how defensively you drive and who has the right of way, you need enough responsive power to get out of the way of heavier enclosed vehicles. Additionally, there is a marked difference in comfort between a 4 cylinder engine and a 2 cylinder thumper as you rack up the hours on a long trip.

If you're primarily riding alone on short commutes and/or joyriding with a passenger on short trips during light traffic times; then, a 550cc - 650cc will suffice and the number of cylinders becomes less important.

Just be sure to buy enough bike for its intended use or you'll later be disappointed regardless of its initial appeal.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 AM   #9
TheMercenary

Additionally, even if you have driven in the past, take the state sanctioned Motorcycle Safety Course. You can get the info from your state DMV website. It may save your life and it will improve your chances on a bike. I took it and had a 20 year break in riding. I know how to ride a bike but the course teaches you how to drive one in traffic. It is only one weekend and they supply the bikes. When you complete it you get to forgo the state motorcycle test to get your 2-wheel license.

Oh, and as someone told me, "Ride your own ride", and, "Drive like everyone in a car or truck is trying to hit you."
Old 03-30-2009, 08:07 AM   #10
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

NO NO NO! Motorcycles are too dangerous, do not buy one. Great now I'm going to be dreaming of horrible bloody motorcycle crashes.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Additionally, even if you have driven in the past, take the state sanctioned Motorcycle Safety Course. You can get the info from your state DMV website. It may save your life and it will improve your chances on a bike. I took it and had a 20 year break in riding. I know how to ride a bike but the course teaches you how to drive one in traffic. It is only one weekend and they supply the bikes. When you complete it you get to forgo the state motorcycle test to get your 2-wheel license.

Oh, and as someone told me, "Ride your own ride", and, "Drive like everyone in a car or truck is trying to hit you."
They have a very widely renowned program at one of the local community colleges, and I *will* be taking it. Additionally, there is a distinct possibility that I will get one of those LED strobe beacons to stick on my helmet. :-)

I'm now looking at this unit. More pricey, but newer, much lower miles, and pretty sweet. Also a V twin, per Bruce's admonition about "more cylinders equals more repair cost down the road."
Old 03-30-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Elspode

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanpretty View Post
NO NO NO! Motorcycles are too dangerous, do not buy one. Great now I'm going to be dreaming of horrible bloody motorcycle crashes.
1) I won't ride fast.
2) I am the most paranoid driver you've ever met.

I rode for years back in the 80's and never came close to an accident. I leave many vehicle lengths between me and the vehicle ahead. I scan intersections from blocks away. I practice panic stops. I am a very confident and non-risktaking rider.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:49 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBoxes View Post
Additionally, there is a marked difference in comfort between a 4 cylinder engine and a 2 cylinder thumper as you rack up the hours on a long trip.
Very true, rest areas are your friend on a small bike. I'm pretty sure Elspode in looking at commuting and local hops, though.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:57 AM   #14
TheMercenary

Quote:
They have a very widely renowned program at one of the local community colleges, and I *will* be taking it. Additionally, there is a distinct possibility that I will get one of those LED strobe beacons to stick on my helmet. :-)

I'm now looking at this unit. More pricey, but newer, much lower miles, and pretty sweet. Also a V twin, per Bruce's admonition about "more cylinders equals more repair cost down the road."
Better choice on that one, it has most of the stuff you are going to want to buy for it anyway. I do love that old Honda. Wish I could drive up there and add it to my toy collection. Wife wouldn't stand for it.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Quote:
Besides the "no metal cage surrounding you" issue, motorcycles have a lot less grip on the road. Car tires have ~16 square inches road contact each or ~64 square inches of contact with the road. The average motorcycle tire has 3 or 4 square inches each. That means that anything that reduces friction - leaves, sand, gravel, even dust can cause you to go down in a hurry.

On the other hand, I've got a friend in Seattle (where it rains six months out of the year) who does his daily commute on motorcycle and never had a serious accident. You just have to pay more attention when you're driving a cycle.

Tags
motorcycles