The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 01-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #46
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
West Virginia's mascot is a dilated pupil.
Is that because the co-ed is dilated and about to have another illegitimate baby?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:46 AM   #47
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Maybe they're into mydriatic abuse.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:47 PM   #48
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
No effin way would I be into that...ever.

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #49
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
George Jr said he looked into Putin's eyes and saw a good soul. What really was he looking into? Would mydriates have helped him better see a real soul?

If The Donald took them, would he see the real world?
Old 01-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #50
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Bannon is the new Cheney

Quote:
But the defining moment for Mr. Bannon came Saturday night in the form of an executive order giving the rumpled right-wing agitator a full seat on the “principals committee” of the National Security Council — while downgrading the roles of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence, who will now attend only when the council is considering issues in their direct areas of responsibilities. It is a startling elevation of a political adviser, to a status alongside the secretaries of state and defense, and over the president’s top military and intelligence advisers.

In theory, the move put Mr. Bannon, a former Navy surface warfare officer, admiral’s aide, investment banker, Hollywood producer and Breitbart News firebrand on the same level as his friend, Michael T. Flynn, the national security adviser, a former Pentagon intelligence chief who was Mr. Trump’s top adviser on national security issues before a series of missteps reduced his influence.

But in terms of real influence, Mr. Bannon looms above almost everyone except the president’s son-in-law, Jared D. Kushner, in the Trumpian pecking order, according to interviews with two dozen Trump insiders and current and former national security officials. The move involving Mr. Bannon, as well as the boost in status to the White House homeland security adviser, Thomas P. Bossert, and Mr. Trump’s relationships with Cabinet appointees like Defense Secretary Jim Mattis have essentially layered over Mr. Flynn.
God help us.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:43 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
downgrading the roles of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence,
Smart move, this way they aren't needed in Washington when Trump sends them off to war.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:40 AM   #52
Griff
still says videotape

I guess we're officially in Yemen now...

The Bannon thing... makes me want to turn down my Nazi detector.

It is the democrats turn to bitch about executive orders, Christ it's almost time to turn back to the libertarians.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:45 PM   #53
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Is it true that the National Security Council has authority over the "we promise we'll only use it on bad guys" drone strikes on citizens without due process? I need the cellar to be my reality check, here, because I've had to swear off all political radio/TV/internet for a bit, it's too much.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #54
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Is it true that the National Security Council has authority over the "we promise we'll only use it on bad guys" drone strikes on citizens without due process?
US would kidnap citizens of other nations only on speculation or fictional accusations. Put them in secret prisons around the world. Or dump them in Guantanamo. Extremist said that is good - and legal. Extremists have returned to power.

We know over 700 of less than 800 prisoners in Guantanamo were innocent. What has changed to avert that stupidity? Nothing. It is still legal. Now we have a president who knows someone is evil only because he 'feels' it is true.

Every non-American in the world has good reason to fear. America can kidnap anyone and put them in secret prisons - without judicial process. Because the victim is not an American citizen. These same extremists (and The Donald) even says torture is good.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:01 AM   #55
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Mmkay, except not one word of that answered my question.

UT? It's not a leading question, I really want to know. I don't have the energy to figure this one out.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #56
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
US would kidnap citizens of other nations only on speculation or fictional accusations. Put them in secret prisons around the world. Or dump them in Guantanamo. Extremist said that is good - and legal. Extremists have returned to power.

We know over 700 of less than 800 prisoners in Guantanamo were innocent. What has changed to avert that stupidity? Nothing. It is still legal. Now we have a president who knows someone is evil only because he 'feels' it is true.

Every non-American in the world has good reason to fear. America can kidnap anyone and put them in secret prisons - without judicial process. Because the victim is not an American citizen. These same extremists (and The Donald) even says torture is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Is it true that the National Security Council has authority over the "we promise we'll only use it on bad guys" drone strikes on citizens without due process? I need the cellar to be my reality check, here, because I've had to swear off all political radio/TV/internet for a bit, it's too much.

There. Are you happy now?
Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #57
glatt

In an Obama administration, AG Holder said that in theory, the President has that authority within the borders of the USA. But it has never been exercised and would be highly unusual.

Quote:

"As members of this Administration have previously indicated, the U.S. government has not carried out drone strikes in the United States and has no intention of doing so. As a policy matter, moreover, we reject the use of military force where well-established law enforcement authorities in this country provide the best means for incapacitating a terrorist threat. We have a long history of using the criminal justice system to incapacitate individuals located in our country who pose a threat to the United States and its interests abroad. Hundreds of individuals have been arrested and convicted of terrorism-related offenses in our federal courts.

"The question you have posed is therefore entirely hypothetical, unlikely to occur, and one we hope no President will ever have to confront. It is possible, I suppose, to imagine an extraordinary circumstance in which it would be necessary and appropriate for the President to authorize the military to use lethal force within the territory of the United States. For example, the President could conceivably have no choice but to authorize the military to use such force if necessary to protect the homeland in the circumstances of a catastrophic attack like the ones suffered on December 7, 1941, and September 11, 2001.

"Were such an emergency to arise, I would examine the particular facts and circumstances before advising the President on the scope of his authority."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #58
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Red Dawn Movie
Quote:
An introductory montage shows the fallout of the economic crisis in the European Union and a weakened NATO alliance, amid increasing cooperation between an increasingly militant North Korea and ultranationalist-controlled Russia. The increased deployment of U.S. troops abroad leaves the mainland vulnerable.
A ridiculous fantacy that could never happen, amirite?
Old 01-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #59
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I only found this article which outlines the Obamadministration chain of command for drone strikes.

https://theintercept.com/drone-papers/the-kill-chain/
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's interesting, I would expect the chain between 350C Task Force and the President is primarily FYI and rubber stamped at each step, until it gets to the top.
I would hope at the top they would scrutinize it more closely as well as take the political considerations into account.
When it's passed to JSOC I'd assume decisions are only on their ability to do it.

I still maintain Anwar al Awlaki was not a US citizen. He had renounced his citizenship publicly. While he had not done the defined deliver a letter to an embassy as spelled out in the rules, he had joined a foreign military fighting the US.