The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 08-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Tylenol, Advil, or aspirin?

What's the difference between Tylenol, Advil, and aspirin? Which is the best to take for pain?

Quote:
So I was surprised when I found out there's a huge gap between how pain researchers think about this drug and how the public does. More specifically, every researcher I contacted for this piece said some variation of what Andrew Moore, a pain researcher at Oxford University, told me: Tylenol doesn't actually work that well for pain. To be more exact, "I can't imagine why anybody would take acetaminophen," he said.

Moore has done a number of systematic reviews on over-the-counter pain medications, looking at all the available evidence to figure out which ones work best for various problems. I asked him to describe the overall success rates for the most common three: acetaminophen (like Tylenol), ibuprofen (like Advil), and aspirin.

Like all good evidence-based medicine thinkers, he was able to provide a very practical answer: "If you’re talking about aspirin in doses of 500 to 1,000 mg or two tablets, 30 percent of people get relief from acute pain. For acetaminophen at doses of 500 to 1,000 mg, about 40 percent have a success. For ibuprofen, in its normal formulation at something around 400 mg or two tablets, about 50 percent have success."
Old 08-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
The main reason for adding acetominophen to codeine and such is to prevent abuse. The acetominophen will cause liver failure at recreational doses. How fucked up is that?

Just so you won't be tempted to abuse this medication we're adding something to it that will kill you. Have a nice day and we hope you feel better soon.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Ibuprofen used to be my go-to...it seemed to work the best. I'm not supposed to take it anymore though. Having said that, I don't seem to need such pain relievers that often anymore.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 02:53 PM   #4
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I think the key factor is what type of pain. Is it a headache, musculoskeleton, toothache, etc.? Also there was to reference to naproxen sodium. That's what the VA shoves down our throats especially at the Orthopedics Clinic.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The article says, and it's an important distinction...
Quote:
Now, Moore was referring here to acute pain that strikes after a specific event, like a surgery, a cut, or a burn, but his message was simple: Ibuprofen seems to work best, followed by acetaminophen, and then aspirin.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

My bad. I didn't process/comprehend that part. I'll try to read twice before posting. lol
Old 08-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, you're right, I should have included that in the original post. It makes a difference whether it's a nagging headache or an arrow in the gut. The main thing I got from it, is being aware there are three options available to me. Everyone is different, and I should experiment to see which works best for each type pain in my body.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Speaking of arrows in the gut, may I cast a vote for fentanyl?
Old 08-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Of course, since the War on Drugs has been lost.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

They gave me liquid Norco after surgery...oh, that's the best!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote