Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 07-19-2011, 12:05 PM   #3661
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot View Post
Try this out next time someone comes asking for help,
lean back in your chair and look them right in the eye while you massage your nipple while telling them that it makes you kind of sparkly when they ask for your help "that way" then wink.

You should be left alone at least until HR calls you in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
Won't work. I tried it last week and there were 30 people lined up outside my office, waiting to see me.
Maybe they want to see you all "sparkly."
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #3662
monster
I hear them call the tide

infi's system is doing the hokey pokey
Old 07-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #3663
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhelm View Post
butt fuck, people... take a number!
Is that what they wanted?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #3664
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
today: system up system down system up record lock call help desk system up system down software lock start over system up system down...

PC LOAD LETTER?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:22 PM   #3665
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

WHAT THE FUCK IS PC LOAD LETTER?

(I got a surprising amount done even with the downtime, but not nearly what I wanted to get done. Ha, and the auditors are here and I had to keep logging Audit Man back in about every half hour.)
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #3666
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
WHAT THE FUCK IS PC LOAD LETTER?

(I got a surprising amount done even with the downtime, but not nearly what I wanted to get done. Ha, and the auditors are here and I had to keep logging the Bobs back in about every half hour.)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #3667
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
have fun merc!! i know about those long hours!!
I survived. Turned into 58 hours after I went to another job. A 12 hour break and back in the grind for 8 more, a 16 hour break and back into a 24+10 hour session. Life goes on.....
Old 07-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #3668
infinite monkey

The Bobs!
Old 07-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #3669
SamIam

I STILL haven't finished the gazillion page form that the government wants me to fill out to attempt to qualify for voc rehab training. I am supposed to list in stunning detail every step I propose to take toward re-training for the next 3 years - I kid you not. I must also include estimates for all costs involved, no matter how great or how small. Hell, the program (through the University of Northern Arizona) hasn't even accepted me yet, nor have they informed me regarding any financial aid I might qualify for. I have been trying to reach the voc rehab worker who is responsible for a population of 30,000 workers or would be workers in my area. Love those budget cuts, especially when they prevent people from getting help to free themselves from Uncle Sam's assistance programs.

I'd like to dump the Colorado legislature out here on the desert all by themselves so they could see up close and personal how much fun it is to make your way in a region of the state that has 13% unemployment and climbing.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #3670
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The heat wave is here. Today 97 (36C), tomorrow 100 (38C).

That's fine, but what really gets to me is the overnight low temperature of 80 (27C). That's just unreasonable.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #3671
infinite monkey

We're on...Day 3 or 4? It's pure hell.

Heat indices 110 or higher. One can barely breathe outside. It's so humid that sweat pours off you the second you walk out the door!

I want to go swimming, real swimming in a quarry where the temp isn't artificially kept at body temperature and you may as well take a bath. Cold and clear. Yep. That's what I want.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #3672
glatt

I feel a little bad. We're dropping my daughter off at camp on Saturday. It's in the mountains, and there's a lake, but there is no AC. I hope it cools down a bit next week. I can imagine her lying in a bunk in a hot stuffy cabin just sweating in the stifling heat.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #3673
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

There are (or at least were as of about 7 years ago) old dorms on the A&M campus here in Texas that still have no air conditioning.

I know it sounds impossible, but you really do get used to it. (And then when you get back, you wonder why in the hell everyone wants to keep the house so cold...) She's going to find herself drinking a lot of water though.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #3674
SamIam

So, I went in for my interview for paper delivery lady this AM. Another hopeful aspirant for the job arrived a bit after I did, so we shot the breeze while we waited. Turned out that he has a family - wife and two small sons - and all he's been able to find around town is a part time job - 20 hours at minimum wage. I felt really bad for him and almost just split to give him a better shot at the job.

But then I thought, "Heck, I'm an old lady with a bad back, and he's a young, strong kid. No contest." So, I went into the interview anyway, since I was already there.

Tell you what - that publishing company is run by a bunch of vultures. They told me up front that it takes 7 hours to deliver all the papers - at least while you're learning the route - but the current delivery guy who is quitting does the whole route in 3 hours.

The paper pays a flat $90.00/week for 3 - 7 hours of work, 4 nights a week. The mileage adds up to about 200 miles/week.

Let's see. If I'm super girl, I only need to work 12 hours/week. My truck gets around 20 mpg which comes to 10 gallons of gas per week if I don't get lost or anything and add extra miles. Gas is roughly $4.00/gal around here, so that's $40.00/wk, leaving me with $50 remaining. $50/12 = $4.17/hour and that's if I can fly through the route like a bat out of hell. As for wear and tear on the truck? Whatever.

This is what happens if you live in a small town with 13% unemployment and in the middle of nowhere.

There's no help for it. I've got to get it together and move to Durango where they have real jobs that probably even pay the minimum wage. Housing is a bitch, but I could always go camp on the forest service land which is right outside of town.

I have to break my financial impasse SOMEHOW!
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #3675
monster
I hear them call the tide

ugh, I'm sorry. You like gardening IIRC, can you start up a small plant raising business on the side, maybe? Or something like that?

Tags
mild cheddar