The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 07-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #151
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

People don't have a problem, you have a problem. You misunderstood what was being said and now you're trying to shift the blame like a fucking lawyer... or pedant.
Now you can have the last word.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #152
it
Banned

It's just a meme why are you been so defensive about it?

edit: nvm. I just realized it was locally uploaded. It was your lame-deception or bad fact checking I was been critical of. Now it makes sense.
it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:47 PM   #153
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Here's a gender checkpoint for you from the news. There's not a lot of equality though.
High school grad strikes back at dress code with amazing yearbook quote
Quote:
Chloe Cross was fed up. Fed up with her school’s dress code, fed up with being harassed by boys, fed up with being punished for what she wore. But she didn’t run to the media or get her parents to complain; she found a sly, funny and much more effective way of getting her message across that she shouldn’t be shamed for her clothing.
Cross posted a picture to Tumblr of her yearbook from San Mateo High School, about 20 miles south of San Francisco, with a senior quote that struck at the core of every young girl’s argument that dress codes are sexist and send the wrong message.

It read, "I would just like to apologize to those who were unable to graduate with the class of 2015 because they were too distracted by my midriff and consequently failed all of their classes! xoxo"
Pictures and an interview at the link. Worthwhile.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #154
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Midriff? That slut.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:18 PM   #155
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Heh. The lass has style.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #156
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Penetrating job markets.
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #157
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Never underestimate the ladies.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #158
glatt

I wonder why the motorcycle disappears during that loop?

Oh, and in high school, I would totally have been distracted by some girl's midriff. If she was in my class, I'd be staring at her through the whole class, and probably be trying to hide a boner under my notebook. You can't get much hornier than a high school boy.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #159
it
Banned

Old 07-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #160
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Smart girl.
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #161
it
Banned

I've wondered about that...

When a man speaks, we do pay attention.. To his physique, height, posture, tone of voice, dominant body language... regardless of our own gender.

To whichever extent we are willing to listen to our instincts, "intuition" and first impression, we will be as much of a factor in how we take what he has to say as the content of his words, more so if we include more general factors like humor, likability, how much we relate to him, and other factors that are more gender neutral, it all melds together, and we don't make any fuss about it. We fully accept that certain elements of masculinity - of his sexuality - are dominant variables within the composite emotion of how charming we find a man and how our subconscious will guide us to take his words. What's the problem with that being true for both genders?

I think the "lipstick feminism" side of that debate gets my vote.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:03 PM   #162
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
AutoZone, an auto parts retailer (GET IN THE ZONE! AUTOZONE!), has recently dropped its challenge to a verdict which ordered them to pay an unprecedented $185 million in damages to a former employee who claims she was demoted, then fired, for being pregnant.

According to ThinkProgress, Rosario Juarez claims she was urged to step down from her role as store manager after announcing she was pregnant. After her baby was born, she was demoted and her paycheck decreased. And if the Ellen Pao trial unveiled the “subtle” sexism of Silicon Valley, the Rosario Juarez trial revealed that the “wave-my-dick-in-your-face” brand of workplace misogyny is alive and well:
link
Old 07-24-2015, 03:59 AM   #163
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
I wonder why the motorcycle disappears during that loop?

Oh, and in high school, I would totally have been distracted by some girl's midriff. If she was in my class, I'd be staring at her through the whole class, and probably be trying to hide a boner under my notebook. You can't get much hornier than a high school boy.
I spent much of my high school time quietly lusting after our English teacher. When he was talking, I really wasn't taking in the detail of what he was saying.

I knew plenty of girls who were completely led by their hormones and totally distracted by the presence of a 'hot' guy in class.

Learning to wrench your mind away from those distractions and focus on the task at hand is all part of growing up. Placing the onus on the girls to not be distracting - rather than on the boys to not be distracted is unfair and silly. For you the sight of a bare midriff may have been distracting - in some cultures the sight of a bare ankle or calf would have the same impact. The formal style of school skirt with ankle socks would be unthinkable past the age of 10.

And for individual boys different things might be a distraction - the nape of a girl's neck, the back of a knee, the slight suggestion of breasts under a demure blouse...

Where the line is drawn seems arbitrary.

It always boils down to girls having to cover up and not allow their body shape or surface to show. I know some girls have got into trouble for wearing form-fitting jogging pants - no skin on show, but the shape of their legs and butt is apparently enough to render them a distraction to the boys.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 AM   #164
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Do we "learn" to wrench our minds away from distraction, though? Or do we simply grow up and it becomes easier with maturity? Give a 12-year-old easy access to drugs and there's a decent shot he'll take them, because his ability to envision the future and make rational decisions based on outcomes is not fully developed yet. Give a 21-year-old easy access to those same temptations, and he is far less likely to take them, even if he didn't spend his youth learning the hard way to say no all the time. All the studies show that if you can only delay the age of decision--not try to affect it or persuade in any way, only delay it by as many years toward adulthood as you can--the outcomes of those decisions will be far better.

It's not that females should always cover up. It's that children of both genders are simply not adults yet, and we shouldn't treat either of them as such.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 AM   #165
DanaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
It's not that females should always cover up. It's that children of both genders are simply not adults yet, and we shouldn't treat either of them as such.
I agree - but that generally translates to an emphasis on modesty and physical appearance for girls as it relates to how boys might see them and react. Boys are supposed to look presentable and that's about it.

Tags
once an asshole