The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

I go down to the National Mall every year. It's not too crowded on the Mall, and this year the weather was perfect. But, as for crowded, part of the fun is the mad rush to squeeze into the subway when it's over. We tried a different stop this time, and even with the post-crash Red Line slowdown we managed to get on the first train that came along.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

The fireworks I attended was the usual one, with the fireworks being set off over the intercoastal waterway. It looked a bit like this one...at first.

However, there wasn't really any air moving, so the smoke sort of hung in the air and the debris rained down on the crowd (ie: incl me and family). By the finale, the smoke was so thick, you couldn't really see much of the actual 'sparklies'. Never had that happen before. I didn't hear of anyone getting burned, seemed the debris was just ashy crap by the time it got to us.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #18
kisrael
Cantankerous Incantonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
This has been my experience with every fireworks show, ever. I really, really just don't understand the appeal, at all.
It's fireworks! Duh.

Either you intrinsically get the appeal of beautiful lights in the night sky and fun pseudo-scary big noises (along with a kind of facile patriotism and sort of shared group enjoyment/camaraderie with the masses around you, and possibly just a nice excuse to chat and hang with friends (no not that you need one)) or you just see feel the crowds, heat, drunken jerks, time spent, and (in some cases, though this is the first year I'd ever noticed) smoke + debris.

Kayaking to fireworks is a real synergy, either activity I'd do on its own, probably, but the mutual justification was terrific. (Plus, the water wasn't nearly as crowded as the land...)
Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

See, the kayaking thing I can get behind. You avoid the crowds, and the temperatures are cooler over the water. I would love fireworks if the venues they were displayed in didn't suck one-thousand-percent. I'm willing to concede that things are worse due to my location: "heat" has a totally different meaning to me than it does to the state of Massachussetts, and the drunken jerks here are not pleasantly amusing, they are the type who will accidentally gesture the wrong way in the tight-packed crowd and stick their lit cigarette against your arm.

Only good fireworks experience I ever had was once as a kid when my friend's parents let us climb up on the roof and watch them from her house. That was awesome. But my parents or a neighbor must have complained, because they never allowed it again.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #20
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

They have the Redneck Games about a quarter mile from my house. This year it will be held on July 11. I always sit out in my pool and watch while sipping whiskey. Now that is enjoyable.

I didn't make up the Redneck Games thingie, either. You can google it. I do, however have a little too much class to attend. I can hear the bands and see the fireworks from here fine anyway. You talk about a bunch of drunk ass idiots. Sheesh.

link

Last edited by capnhowdy; 07-06-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: add link
capnhowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I want to know how the girls spend all that time in the kayak without a bathroom break? I mean the guys can just tie it to the anchor and throw it over the side for awhile.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Guy 1:
"Waters cold, ain't it?"
#2:
"Yeah. And deep, too!"

* I believe one of them fellers was from Arkansas.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #23
kisrael
Cantankerous Incantonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I want to know how the girls spend all that time in the kayak without a bathroom break? I mean the guys can just tie it to the anchor and throw it over the side for awhile.
Heh. Actually when I went a few years ago, my companion DID have to go so we made a furious paddle for shore, she found a portalot, and then we came back just in time.

This year we had a strict-ish "lets not bring drinks" policy (except for the little illicit mini bottles of wine we stowed)
Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #24
monster
I hear them call the tide

you can't get a friend to hold one side of the kayak steady while you pee over the other? sheesh
Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

In the middle of a thousand boats? Your butt would be all over the internet.