The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-27-2005, 09:50 AM   #16
lookout123
changed his status to single

Bri - LDS = vegetarian? that is a new one for me.

everyone else - group insurance plans don't allow for different rates for different people. either you have insurance and pay the same as everyone else or you don't have insurance.

i don't smoke, i absolutely hate smoking, but even i think this is just ridiculous. i do, however, support their right to run their company how they want.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:52 AM   #17
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Yeah---they are vegetarians. Maybe they are some weird sect--but they are a wealthy, weird sect. WEALTHY.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #18
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

omg--this is how out of it I am on these Christianfolk---they are Seventh Day Adventists!! Oh, how embarrassing but I don't pay much attention to who they are--they are just weird and strict which, to me, translates into any Christian group. So, Lookout, you're right. Not LDS-SDA. Tomato-Tomahto in my book. The only Christian religion I really know is Catholicism because I was raised one (Catholic shcools all thru) but, really, I didn't pay attention much to that, either. I just know my knees were sore from kneeling for 1/2 of the Mass and the holy water was always icy-cold. and here I was, maligning the poor LDS! Well, similar initials and besides, the JW were just at my door, confusing me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 01-27-2005, 10:01 AM   #19
lookout123

they must be a sect, because i am in very close contact with a large number of mormons (practicing, devout, not just name-only) who will down a good steak.

as far as wealthy... that probably has nothing to do with the sect. as one of my mormon aquaintances put it - "we're the new jew".

it is imperative that the man become extremely successful in his chosen career and then bring younger mormons in and help them achieve the top tiers of success.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
lookout123

ok, SDA - yeah they are absolutely vegetarians. and those that i know are a bit out of the main stream on their "christian" theology. i don't remember all of the details, but something about being the descendents of the jewish nation and being the forerunners of the 144,000.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:06 AM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Lookout, how much do you know about the Mormon's? They have one freaky story to tell. Veeeeeeery interesting. Especially the golden thing-y's they found in New York. Fascinating stuff. Some cute Mormon girls came to my father's door last year, he acted interested (of course he did, the old perv!) and they NEVER let up on him! They kept coming back. My mother had to finally tell them not to return. Dad was heartbroken! Mind you, he's 75 and they were in their early twenty's....pretty good strategy.

—James Barrie

Old 01-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #22
lookout123

ah, now the jw - they are fun. i don't one for a couple of months who was an absolute fiend in the bedroom. (and the kitchen, laundry room, living room, car, elevator, office floor, and restaurant now that i think about it ) but it was fun to mess with her, because they don't do birthdays, holidays, etc.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #23
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

South Park had a good rundown of the basics of Mormon mythology.
Either Matt or Trey is a former Mormon.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 10:10 AM   #24
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

JW's have pre-marital sex?? Are you sure this one wasn't just trying to get out? I really thought JW's were really, really...bummers?

—James Barrie

Old 01-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #25
lookout123

i'm originally from illinois (as are the LDS), i live in arizona (largely mormon), and my company has a VERY large mormon presence. i've self educated a bit over the years. i am an avid reader and whenever i have a mormon with me i find an excuse to go to the bookstore. if they see a book that maligns the LDS faith in any way they are required to buy it so it is no longer in circulation.

i like the wedding ceremony personally. she has to tell him her secret name, but he doesn't tell her his. and the super duper LDS undies rock, of course.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #26
jaguar
whig

While there are contributing factors to obesity that aren't controllable the vast majority of overweight people are overweight because they eat too much of the wrong stuff and don't do enough bloody exercise. End of story. One can't help their race or their sex but in most cases, one can do something about one's weight.

On the smoking thing though, it all seems bloody orwellian to me. I mean what the hell? If my health insurer asked for a urine sample for *anything* I'd cancel the policy, let alone something perfectly legal. Let alone a workplace, christ, no matter the money, my time, my choice, get the fuck out of my private life. I do my job, they pay me, end of interaction.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:14 AM   #27
lookout123

HM - i saw that and laughed til i cried. i thought they did a great job playing up the illiterate reading the rocks part.

BRI - it wasn't premarital. she was married. they had an open relationship. she also had a girfriend. i miss her.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:16 AM   #28
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

What is with the secret name? Is it like the Ruplestilskin thing where he then has power over her? What is a super duper LDS undie? Like, underwear? Are they secret bedroom animals? WTF? Or, did you mean "Fundies"? I am now reading my JW literature, so thoughtfully left by the two impeccably dressed young men who came to see me this morning. I always feel bad for them because they seem so sincere and are very polite.

—James Barrie

Old 01-27-2005, 10:24 AM   #29
lookout123

i like the mormon missionaries better than the JW's. the jw's will not leave you alone. when you question and debate they can only regurgitate the script or get the deer in the headlights look. LDS, most of them anyway, want to share their faith, but they recognize it is theirs and don't try to force it on you. they also can debate intelligently without getting upset. and when you say you are done, they thank you for your time and go on their merry way. the jw's just keep coming back.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #30
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I've a book, given to me by a Southern Baptist, that lists cults and the Mormon's are right up there in Culthood. Even still, they too are impeccably dressed and polite. A veritable Donny and Marie of Goodness and Decency.

—James Barrie