The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 04-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #6661
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Try and write it no matter what. It'd be a shame to fail the course by a couple of marks that you might have picked up by handing in the paper.

Can you ask for special consideration because of the things that've been happening in your life lately? I don't know what the rules are over there, but here you can often get that if you've had major health or relationship issues that've affected you.
I can kinda. The prof and dean have to agree to let me drop with an Incomplete because of an health issue. Problem is, its more stress than anything. Sure, I have a bad thyroid and headaches, but I'm on meds. I probably don't have a good enough case. My prof might let me extend my deadline, but he did that last year for me too, I'd hate to ask him to do it again.

I am trying, I have 2 sentences written and am stuck again.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 PM   #6662
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

You might feel like a sook doing it, but you should do it anyway. It's your future not his, and I'm sure he's had to help students like yourself before. It's part of his job.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #6663
morethanpretty

Heh, just found out that the med my doc put me on for my headaches is commonly used as an anti-depressant. Funny.

Ali, I understand what you're saying. Its just not how I grew up, its against every fiber of my being. I'd almost rather fail. I know, I know thats worse. I'll talk to him tomorrow maybe, its just so close to the end of the semester, I feel like if I can just get myself past this paper, and the paper in Psych, and the 6 other writing assignments....
Oh geeze, am I fucked.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #6664
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Me either MTP. I was brought up to just get the job done, and if I hadn't prepared myself properly it was me who should wear the consequences, so I know where you're coming from.

I only asked for SC once when I was at uni, and that was when my Mum died. The stupid lecturer I had denied it (even though she died the day before the final exam) and then I was just so down I just said fuck it and let myself fail the course. In hindsight that was a stupid decision knowing that if I'd appealed I would have won because the counsellor was on my side, but at the time, I wasn't really seeing things clearly.

Anyway, I hope you can get yourself sorted out. It'll be worth it in the long run.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:12 PM   #6665
morethanpretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Me either MTP. I was brought up to just get the job done, and if I hadn't prepared myself properly it was me who should wear the consequences, so I know where you're coming from.

I only asked for SC once when I was at uni, and that was when my Mum died. The stupid lecturer I had denied it (even though she died the day before the final exam) and then I was just so down I just said fuck it and let myself fail the course. In hindsight that was a stupid decision knowing that if I'd appealed I would have won because the counsellor was on my side, but at the time, I wasn't really seeing things clearly.

Anyway, I hope you can get yourself sorted out. It'll be worth it in the long run.
Yeah, I've decided that if there is a G-d, that it is against me. I had to leave the library I was at to go get books from another library. At the other library I found that I had left my laptop's power cable at the first library. So I drove back to the first library, only to get sick in my car as soon as I parked. Fortunately I have a loving and nearby mom who went and got my power cable while I drove home to clean up. I'm still feeling pretty awful though.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #6666
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Hello Rich

I'm very sad to hear the news about your mom. I'm sure the complications make things feel worse. I can't change anything that has already happened, but I offer you my support and I'd like to help you in any way I can.

Yours,
Old 04-23-2011, 12:01 AM   #6667
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

This
Attached Images

elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #6668
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Wow.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #6669
glatt

Rich, I've been away the last few days. I'm sorry to hear about your mom.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #6670
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

So sorry to hear you've lost your Mum, Rich.
And then the added stress of it being at the worst time of the year.

A friend of my Mum's lost her Dad on Christmas Eve.
Even if it seems like nothing could be worse than losing a parent, it was worse for her, with everything closed and having to pass on news that spoiled other families' celebratons.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #6671
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Faaaahhk.

I go to register for the summer term right as the computer system opens this morning. As I'm furiously typing in section numbers, clicking the ones I want, advancing through the system, I can see the seats filling up in real time with each refresh of the page.

And then comes the big red error message: You must have a Granted Petition to register for [critical prereq course that MUST happen this summer or the whole plan is thrown off by a year.] Apparently for this one course, I was somehow supposed to know that I needed permission to register for it.

I did get into my other courses--not on the ideal schedule, but I got them. But none of it will matter if I can't get into this one fundamental class. I've emailed the department chair like it says I'm supposed to, to get my "petition" granted. But of course he's not going to respond until Monday at the earliest.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #6672
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
My mom passed away this morning. I don't want to go into details, since I'm still processing this all and since I don't use a handle other peoples privacy is involved.
Rich, I'm so sorry. I'm seeing this for the first time. You and your family are in my thoughts.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:07 PM   #6673
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

sorry, rich
Old 04-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #6674
Pete Zicato
Turns out my CRS is a symptom of TMB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
My mom passed away this morning.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Rich. Peace be with you.

Talk nerdy to me.
Pete Zicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #6675
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Staff briefing this morning.
One of our school volunteers has two boys at our school. He is a very committed parent and we always say hello to eachother as we were volunteering at the same time, although I was doing full days and he was taking readers at set times. I often see him around Aylesbury in his van and always wave.

His brother has just been sent to gaol for sending sexually explicit texts to a 15 year old.
Link

Of course it does not reflect in any way on the man who volunteers at our school. It's just I feel for the family, especially knowing one of the boys well.

I haven't used any names in this post, but of course they are in the link which is on the internet and it was reported in the local paper. It's not about hiding the identity of the man, but his brother has the same surname and I'd like to respect his privacy at least.
Quote:
13 April 2011, 10:49 am
A 44-year-old man has been jailed for three-and-a-half months after sending a series of explicit text messages to a 15-year-old boy on work experience at his firm.

xxx, of xxx Road, Aylesbury, was sentenced at Aylesbury Crown Court on Monday (11/4) after admitting a charge of causing or inciting a child under the age of 16 to engage in sexual activity.

xxx, who runs First Choice Gas, took on a 15-year-old boy for a two-week work experience placement in spring 2010. The scheme is run through schools and Buckinghamshire County Council.

Within days of the boy starting the placement, xxx started to send him explicit text messages of a sexual nature. These messages became more extreme during the period of the placement.

On the evening of the final day of the placement, the victim’s father discovered the text messages on his son’s phone and the matter was reported to police. xxx’s phone was subsequently seized and evidence of the messages was recovered.

In court, it was heard how xxx had been under a great deal of stress at the time of the offence and had lost his sense of judgement but had expressed sorrow for his actions.

On passing sentence, Judge Sheridan called xxx’s behaviour “disgusting” and said the young victim must have “suffered horribly in his own mind”. He said xxx had exhibited “criminal behaviour of the lowest and disgusting sort” and had a duty to protect the young people of Aylesbury and the work experience scheme. He added that the “fabulously successful scheme had received a terrible blow”.

Investigating officer Det Con Lucy Jarrett said: “The young victim has shown a great deal of courage throughout this investigation, which has been supported by his family.

“Thames Valley Police and Buckinghamshire County Council will continue to work together to ensure that young people are protected and any similar reports of inappropriate behaviour will always be dealt with robustly.”
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss