The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 10-11-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

10/11/2004: $100 Cheesesteak

Philadelphia restauranteur Stephen Starr has come up with this offering for a new city location: a $100 cheesesteak. "...made of sliced Kobe beef, melted Taleggio cheese, shaved truffles, sauteed foie gras, caramelized onions and heirloom shaved tomatoes on a homemade brioche roll brushed with truffle butter and squirted with homemade mustard."

full story

This is simply wrong at every level, beyond just the fact that it's an attempt to get a bit of press for the restaurant. Here's a "proper" Philly cheesesteak:

I know I would prefer the taste of the $100 version, but it's not worth $100 under any circumstances, and it rides on the image of the original.

I'm just sad that I don't have a proper image of a good $5 steak, and the next time I get one (about once every three months - it's a dangerous meal), I'll take the camera.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Bugger that. No sandwich in the world is worth $100, not unless the whole thing was gold-plated and then it wouldn't be all that edible. Or tasty. What the heck would you serve WITH it? Wouldn't it throw the whole thing off if they offer chips and a soda only worth $1.85? Or would they search the world over for a potato that costs 20x the price of a perfectly good Irish potato?

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:00 PM   #3
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
Here's a "proper" Philly cheesesteak:

[img - cheesesteak]
Nah, I don't think so. That's got Whiz on it. Provolone or bust.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Albamoss
alga

Quote:
heirloom shaved tomatoes
When I was skimming the ingredients list, I thought for a moment that said "heroin." And for that moment I thought I understood why it was so expensive.

Last edited by Albamoss; 10-11-2004 at 02:05 PM. Reason: typo, sirs
Albamoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:54 PM   #5
Katkeeper
Hoodoo Guru

What beverage to serve with a $100 cheesesteak? A $100 bottle of Bordeaux or CA cabernet sauvignon.
Katkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:33 PM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

i thought the "original" cheesesteak was hotdog or bologna? This is indeed wrong. When I think of Philly I think of affordable heart attacks.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:38 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad
This is simply wrong at every level, beyond just the fact that it's an attempt to get a bit of press for the restaurant. Here's a "proper" Philly cheesesteak:

No...that's a proper cheesesteak for stoopid tourists. No Philadelphian in their right mind should ever eat such shit.

Non-Philadelphians: Never ever EVER eat a cheesesteak from Pat's or Geno's. Just don't fucking do it!
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #8
Target
Fellow-Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katkeeper
What beverage to serve with a $100 cheesesteak? A $100 bottle of Bordeaux or CA cabernet sauvignon.
When I heard about this $100 cheese steak sandwich on the radio they said it included a bottle of champagne.

So it's a bargain at twice the price.
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 06:20 PM   #9
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Don't know Target, the TV reporter didn't show or mention any wine. He did say it was tasty but he wouldn't be eating it if he had to pay for it.
Let's face it, they came up with a tasty dish and like UT said they're capitalizing on the fame of real cheesesteaks.
Syc is right about Pat's and Geno's.
The crew of Air Force One, The Secret Service and I, prefer Jim's in Essington.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:00 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
No...that's a proper cheesesteak for stoopid tourists. No Philadelphian in their right mind should ever eat such shit.

Non-Philadelphians: Never ever EVER eat a cheesesteak from Pat's or Geno's. Just don't fucking do it!
And being from the Show Me state you are uniquely qualified to make this judgment. (he happens to be right in this case, but this poser setting himself up as the Phil'delfya cheesesteak expert is quite amusing. Incidentlly, Happy Birthday you mutherfucking pansie-ass poser ...)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:12 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Being a non-native helps me retain my objectivity.

And thank you.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:22 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I truthfully can't conceive of a situation in which I would pay $100 for food ... I mean one freakin' sandwich, not a complete meal for myself and at least one other person.

Yes, I've been to fancy eatin' places. And yes, I've run up a tab, including wine, of over $150 just for me, but I'm talking starting from the little bowl of water with the lemon to wash yer hands in, all the way to the exotic desert item involving a mininum of four kinds of chocolate made into swirly patterns around the plate.

$100 for a damn sandwich. What is the world coming to? Are there, as Alexander mourned, no more worlds to conquer?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-11-2004, 08:27 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore
Being a non-native helps me retain my objectivity.
Me too.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #14
YellowBolt
I lurk with the best of them

Location: not close to philadelphia. :( well, not THAT close.
Wow, that "proper" cheesesteak is... gross... one of the best days here in my Michigan high school is when they have "Philly cheese steak" Thursday, only twice a year! Yum.
YellowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 08:41 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

It would probably be illegal to serve a real cheese steak to high school students. There are certain nutritional standards which apply to school food service.