The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Sports
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sports My tribe can beat up your tribe

Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #1
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Big Daddy Don Garlits does It Again...At 82

Big Daddy Don Garlits has set yet another national drag racing record.

Name:  sr37.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  49.6 KB

On Wednesday Garlits took an all electric dragster down the 1320 in 7.26 seconds at 184.01 mph. Electric, mind you. 0 - 60 mph in less than one second. The kicker? That was the first full pass down the strip for the dragster. The real kicker? Big Daddy is 82 fucking years old!

All of Mr. Garlits' dragsters have been named 'Swamp Rat'. This iteration is Swamp Rat 37.

Garlits has won 17 national championships, w/144 wins over a nearly 70 year career. I've been following him since I was a boy.

Go, Big Daddy, go!

Read more at MotorSportsTalk.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

Kewl!!!
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
The first driver to break the 200 mph barrier in a gas-powered dragster (as well as 150 and 250 mph marks) in 1964, Garlits on Wednesday set the national record for an electric-powered dragster, covering the 1,000-foot racing surface at Bradenton (Fla.) Motorsports Park in 7.26 seconds at 184.01 mph.
Although this is an IHRA track, it looks like they shortened it to the NHRA standard of 1,000 FT. Or the writer at the MotorSports Talk link is full of shit.

There's been a bunch of youtube videos of electric powered mad scientist vehicles tearing up strips around the world. I hadn't seen any efforts like this, mimicking a recognizable drag racing vehicle, probably because there's no class for them yet.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Hmm...I didn't catch that. I assumed it was a quarter-mile.

The NHRA doesn't run 1,320 feet. That is a nuclear-weapons grade newsbomb to me. I had no clue. None. I would have argued that till the sun went down.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Big Daddy is still 82 yo, though, so, I'm still impressed.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

A couple years back they were having too many crashes, because the motors had outgrown the brakes on all but purpose built race cars. Knowing many strips have a tenuous relationship with the local governments, and most strips would have a tough time acquiring more property and/or zoning permission for more shutdown, they voted to shorten the competition surface.
I understand, but I don't approve.

Garlits? He's always had the touch and still does, although he's a bit of a dick. A lot of the pros I've met, and watched work, were a bit of a dick... sometimes more than a bit.
I suppose Garlits had to be to get where he did, as those west coast boys weren't cutting him any slack.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Speaking of Garlits when he showed up in the early '50s The newly formed NHRA and by extension Hot Rod Magazine, refused to show his picture.
The organization was trying to build a professional image and the Swamp Rats were embarrassing.
Attached Images

Old 01-25-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

Fantastic.

Once in a while, someone has the talent, the drive, and the larger-than-life imagination to become "the" name that defines a field of human endeavor.

Anyone who is interested in motor sports of any kind, please do yourself a favor and visit the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala, Florida.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #9
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Garlits used to drive the family station wagon to the strip, change the ring gear in the parking lot, race all weekend, win the weekend, change the ring gear back, and drive the wagon home.

I bet those high noses were really embarrassed when they couldn't beat him to save their lives.